• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Matteo Jorgenson has now outclassed his peers from the Chambery-system

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Talked to a fan working the counter at a irrigation parts store. Matteo climbed over Galena Pass and back setting Strava records for each. I don't have Strava but someone could check the stats? 23 yo and top 20 in first Tour is not a bad career start.

He beat a 7 year old KOM by Kai Applequist over 20 minutes, by 14 seconds for 5.25W/kg. Not sure what that's worth tbh.

Last edited:
This was after he assaulted the South side...back to back. Also peaks at 8,500' so he seems to thrive at altitude.
But he didn't even get the KOM on the other side? His time there was 7 seconds slower than a time from... 2012. Only marginally higher W/kg as well, so 5.3W/kg for 20 minutes. If you take the entire 43km section (that's including the 35km 1.2% run-in) his time is actually 13 minutes slower than the fastest time on that section. So he definitely wasn't spent before the actual climb.

I honestly think not a lot of pros are training on that route, which is why old KOMs with mediocre numbers (in relation to climbs in France, Spain... etc) hold up so well over time. This seems more like a very good training ride from a pro on a route that hasn't seen too much Strava action by other strong pros.

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
But he didn't even get the KOM on the other side? His time there was 7 seconds slower than a time from... 2012. Only marginally higher W/kg as well, so 5.3W/kg for 20 minutes. If you take the entire 43km section (that's including the 35km 1.2% run-in) his time is actually 13 minutes slower than the fastest time on that section. So he definitely wasn't spent before the actual climb.

I honestly think not a lot of pros are training on that route, which is why old KOMs with mediocre numbers (in relation to climbs in France, Spain... etc) hold up so well over time. This seems more like a very good training ride from a pro on a route that hasn't seen too much Strava action by other strong pros.
He was training. He started and ended in North of Twin Falls, ID. from what his local fan confirmed. That's around 200 miles. It's rumored he's going to do some ridiculous gravel enduro. and he's prepping for it but someone could check Twitter since it sits where my interest in Strava lives....

He was training. He started and ended in North of Twin Falls, ID. from what his local fan confirmed. That's around 200 miles. It's rumored he's going to do some ridiculous gravel enduro. and he's prepping for it but someone could check Twitter since it sits where my interest in Strava lives....
I understand that he's training. All i'm saying is that so far i'm not seeing a reason to go bananas.

• Sad
I was around him a few times when he was a junior and he seemed like a nice kid. I've only seen him around once in the last few years (he's busy on the other side of the pond), but he was very friendly to this old dude on a dirt rig. Its great that he's making a go of it at the highest level! Its also great that the guy at the sprinkler store gives a crap about a cyclist.

I was around him a few times when he was a junior and he seemed like a nice kid. I've only seen him around once in the last few years (he's busy on the other side of the pond), but he was very friendly to this old dude on a dirt rig. Its great that he's making a go of it at the highest level! Its also great that the guy at the sprinkler store gives a crap about a cyclist.
The Guy at the sprinkler store looks like someone who's ridden, skiied, rodeoed and loves it. My guess is he knows more about hard sports motivation than me and all of his friends do, too.

I understand that he's training. All i'm saying is that so far i'm not seeing a reason to go bananas.
We're just happy a local kid finished a GT in his first attempt. We're not examining the statistical training significance, we're celebrating a Kid that did well and comes back for more in our neighborhood.
No. He's not the next merkcx.....Nor are most of the Starkids showing excellent riding skills before the Vuelta. Lots of expectation for that race for other young overachievers.

We're just happy a local kid finished a GT in his first attempt. We're not examining the statistical training significance, we're celebrating a Kid that did well and comes back for more in our neighborhood.
No. He's not the next merkcx.....Nor are most of the Starkids showing excellent riding skills before the Vuelta. Lots of expectation for that race for other young overachievers.
lol. Ok. Because if he had been taken out by other riders in a crash that he did not cause , that would have reflected badly on him... how exactly? Since you are bringing "that other kid" into it who did not finish his first GT. Or maybe you forgot what happened there?

You are the one who made a thread about a training ride, not me. I was simply trying to provide some context (which you basically asked for in your OP) and it was not clear you were celebrating him sticking around rather than the effort of his training ride considering you started about his KOMs. And if you are so supportive of him, how come you didn't know or bother to look if he had a dedicated thread?

• Sad
lol. Ok. Because if he had been taken out by other riders in a crash that he did not cause , that would have reflected badly on him... how exactly? Since you are bringing "that other kid" into it who did not finish his first GT. Or maybe you forgot what happened there?

You are the one who made a thread about a training ride, not me. I was simply trying to provide some context (which you basically asked for in your OP) and it was not clear you were celebrating him sticking around rather than the effort of his training ride considering you started about his KOMs. And if you are so supportive of him, how come you didn't know or bother to look if he had a dedicated thread?
What's up with the hostility for MJ?
Don't like USA riders?
Displeasure with Oldermanish?

You seem really irritated by a simple thread about a kid coming home to ride after finishing his first a GT.

MODS: can you merge the two threads to help reduce stress? :rolleyes: Maybe the title can be five lines long?

Last edited:
What's up with the hostility for MJ?
Don't like USA riders?
Displeasure with Oldermanish?

You seem really irritated by a simple thread about a kid coming home to ride after finishing his first GT.

MODS: can you merge the two threads to help reduce stress? :rolleyes: Maybe the title can be five lines long?
Huh? Maybe you should reread this thread, post by post. He posts a topic about a training ride, asks others for input. I give him input and put it in perspective in a polite and correct way (imho), as from the OP it seems like Oldermanish is assuming this was some nuclear ride. He then says i was referring to a segment after he had already done a different one. So i check the other one and it's just as good but not really earth shattering either. To which he replies it was just a training ride... Well obviously, but then why post an entire topic about it? Then i get a snarky reply referring to Evenepoel, with fake news and wrong facts, and you ask ME what MY deal is?

His (near) KOMs are 20 minute efforts where he pushed 5.3 W/kg. If Oldermanish wants to compare that to the ''other kid'' it would be 2 inches below the bottom of this graph. And by graph i mean the actual image, not the curve. It's a good training ride, nothing more. But apparently i'm not allowed to say that without being accused of being hostile or anti-USA. lol

Last edited:
  • Sad
The Tour wasn't his first GT.
Unless Oldermanish had that conversation last year, but only remembered it now. Maybe due to being an old man who forgets things.
Yup, until Remco Evenepoel has the courage to make up the 2-GT finishes deficit, he needs to wait behind MJ for the "Next Merckx" nickname. Now, I'm not necessarily saying MJ is the Next Merckx, just that Evenepoel has a few places to overcome.

Yup, until Remco Evenepoel has the courage to make up the 2-GT finishes deficit, he needs to wait behind MJ for the "Next Merckx" nickname. Now, I'm not necessarily saying MJ is the Next Merckx, just that Evenepoel has a few places to overcome.
I didn't care to look at any other threads cause, I don't care. The kid stayed at a friends house and a local guy was excited about his prospects and yes, I asked for any research the Twits, Stravas or Zwifts care to share.
That the curator of another thread has less humor than the rest of us isn't a reason to berate him, either. Neither of the aforementioned guys will be the next Eddy. NO One will no matter how many candles get lit at their Adulation Altars. Lighten up and merge the thread so previous posters don't get overcharged.

I didn't care to look at any other threads cause, I don't care. The kid stayed at a friends house and a local guy was excited about his prospects and yes, I asked for any research the Twits, Stravas or Zwifts care to share.
That the curator of another thread has less humor than the rest of us isn't a reason to berate him, either. Neither of the aforementioned guys will be the next Eddy. NO One will no matter how many candles get lit at their Adulation Altars. Lighten up and merge the thread so previous posters don't get overcharged.
Ooooh, that was humor? And this as well, right?

• Love
Reactions: Oldermanish

TRENDING THREADS