• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mattias Skjelmose: The Blonde Assassin

He finally won his first pro victories in Luxembourg this week, and he seems to be steadily improving in a young Jakob Fuglsang-esque way. He might not have had that one performance that makes you think he's the real deal yet, but not that long ago his palmares would have been pretty impressive for someone who's a week away from turning 22.

The fact that he's shown consistency and fine time trials skills should also be valuable forh im in GTs and week-long stage races in the future. He's also proclaimed that he enjoys the tough days with crosswinds and bad weather, and we all saw his resilience when he crashed in the Volta a Catalunya earlier this year.

*He famously had a clinic issue as a junior rider in 2018 (but he's not the first or last junior to have had that)
*Conor McGregor and Peter Kennaugh have apparently been among his sporting heroes growing up
*He has a girlfriend, who can sing much better than I can

sprintcyclingagency_0636019_1_2000px.jpg

Also got suspended for hitting another rider in 2018

probably not the first or last rider to have done that too, right?

There was a big interview with him on a very thorough Danish podcast a couple of years ago where he told his whole story, and he definitely didn't sugarcoat the fact that he had been an entitled brat when he was younger, and even though I still have reservations about him, I don't think he is as bad anymore.

Translation from Danish Wikipedia:

„In the summer of 2018, he was also suspended for 14 days for punching another rider during the Demin Cup in Grindsted.“

Anyone knows whom he punched, and why?

Edit: https://da.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattias_Skjelmose : Danish Wiki. Skjelmose aged 17 looked like Frank Vandenbroucke, to be honest. So maybe he thought it‘d be good to behave just like VDB in Demin Cup - and to be the bad boy… :)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS