• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid on Contador

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much confirms they've tried to cover up contador's case. He basically admits it didn't go as planned due to 'a leak'. What a duece.
Pretty much confirms what we know about the UCI. a sad bunch.
Of course, the saddest of them all was Verbruggen. Where did he go? Hope he gets busted someday soon for taking bribes from LA cum suis.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
a breaking news ?

this is very new and could be very significant. i don’t recall reading this anywhere else.
google said:
This is according McQiad is not a conventional doping, but an example of a case where the athlete will get 30 days to explain why the tests are abnormal. After this 30-day deadline on the UCI decides they take out an investigation or not the athlete. . Therefore, such cases usually much longer

help me here... if i’m reading this right, this is an inference to blood doping investigation via an abnormal bio passport.

i don’t recall an athlete given a 30 day explanation window anywhere but in a biopass results management. we needs to scrutinize the uci rulebook.

python said:
this is very new and could be very significant. i don’t recall reading this anywhere else.

help me here... if i’m reading this right, this is an inference to blood doping investigation via an abnormal bio passport.

i don’t recall an athlete given a 30 day explanation window anywhere but in a biopass results management. we needs to scrutinize the uci rulebook.

it is
McQuaid is simply that stupid to acknowledge publicly that the Bio passport as it is cannot provide solid evidence of blood doping/manipulation at all-they're only capable to detect slight changes in values from time to time, but without certifying the cause behind those changes, they have no concrete evidence to convict anyone of "abnormal blood values" at all

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
python said:

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on McQuaid's statements in english, translated to norwegian by the journo, and then back to english courtesy of Google.
Nuances tend to get lost in translation.

According to another norwegian hack, this is what he said: "In a "normal" case, the athlete will have a positive A-sample. The athlete is then informed about the result, and there's no publication of the A-sample test-result until a positive result from the B-sample is revealed. A Clenbuterol-positive may come about as a result of food-contamination, and is a different situation entirely. When we gather information about the rider under suspicion via the biologic blood passport , and if we choose to open a disciplinary case against him, we'll have to question the rider about the specific parameters showing abnormal values. We have to arrange a meeting with the rider, to sit down and tell him why an investigation is opened. He'll then have 30 days to explain the abnormal values. If the forthcoming explanation isn't satisfactory, a formal investigation is launched. All of this takes time. It's not like an A- and B- positive test."

For me, it's less than clear "why" a Clen-positive is treated differently from a"normal" A- and B-sample regimen, and "why" the UCI go the blood-passport route, or if indeed that's what they do. I mean, it wasn't Contadors blood-samples they examined, but urine samples. Does McQuaid's statements reflect that the UCI had already been alerted by Contadors blood-values and had a formal disciplinary case underway? If so, I'm willing to let McQuaid off the hook. I can understand the UCI's anger at being pushed into publishing the test-result too early, as the test-result got leaked to the press, and I don't really see this is a cover-up of a high-profile positive. I'm not one of this forum's abundant conspiracy-theorists, you know them from their knee-jerk response at the very mention of McQuaid's name, so I realize there'll be different takes on this point, but I believe they're wrong.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on McQuaid's statements in english, translated to norwegian by the journo, and then back to english courtesy of Google.
Nuances tend to get lost in translation.

According to another norwegian hack, this is what he said: "In a "normal" case, the athlete will have a positive A-sample. The athlete is then informed about the result, and there's no publication of the A-sample test-result until a positive result from the B-sample is revealed. A Clenbuterol-positive may come about as a result of food-contamination, and is a different situation entirely. When we gather information about the rider under suspicion via the biologic blood passport , and if we choose to open a disciplinary case against him, we'll have to question the rider about the specific parameters showing abnormal values. We have to arrange a meeting with the rider, to sit down and tell him why an investigation is opened. He'll then have 30 days to explain the abnormal values. If the forthcoming explanation isn't satisfactory, a formal investigation is launched. All of this takes time. It's not like an A- and B- positive test."

For me, it's less than clear "why" a Clen-positive is treated differently from a"normal" A- and B-sample regimen, and "why" the UCI go the blood-passport route, or if indeed that's what they do. I mean, it wasn't Contadors blood-samples they examined, but urine samples. Does McQuaid's statements reflect that the UCI had already been alerted by Contadors blood-values and had a formal disciplinary case underway? If so, I'm willing to let McQuaid off the hook. I can understand the UCI's anger at being pushed into publishing the test-result too early, as the test-result got leaked to the press, and I don't really see this is a cover-up of a high-profile positive. I'm not one of this forum's abundant conspiracy-theorists, you know them from their knee-jerk response at the very mention of McQuaid's name, so I realize there'll be different takes on this point, but I believe they're wrong.

«Blutpass von Contador ist chaotisch»
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/weitere/Blutpass-von-Contador-ist-chaotisch/story/26974613

This is older, but was a very informative summary anyway. Best I read so far. Unfortunately it is in German.

Don't think I remember seeing McQuaid speak before.

This is pretty shocking hearing him saying they were going to keep it quiet. A positive.

hektoren said:

For me, it's less than clear "why" a Clen-positive is treated differently from a"normal" A- and B-sample regimen, and "why" the UCI go the blood-passport route, or if indeed that's what they do. I mean, it wasn't Contadors blood-samples they examined, but urine samples. Does McQuaid's statements reflect that the UCI had already been alerted by Contadors blood-values and had a formal disciplinary case underway?...

This makes no sense to me either.
From the first paragraph - the quote - it seems that Contador's blood passport was under investigation all that time. That quote is a mess - McQuaid just jumps into talking about the bio passport. What was the question asked of him before he said all that?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Naturally, Verbruggen went to where he could do even more damage. He's a big honcho at the IOC now!

That is where Mc Quaids ambition lies as well. That is why he is letting the IOC ruin olympic track cycling.He doesn't care what they do to cycling as long as his career in the IOC is heading in the right direction.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
<snip>According to another norwegian hack, this is what he said...
if your translation of the second source is right it confirms the correctness of my deduction from the google translation - a blood passport investigation was/is taking place.

then, it’s the first official confirmation of what was only rumoured thus far - a suspected blood doping investigation in parallel to the clen case (i pondered over that in another detailed posts)
For me, it's less than clear "why" a Clen-positive is treated differently from a "normal" A- and B-sample regimen, and "why" the UCI go the blood-passport route
the involuntary slip of the tongue by mcquaid makes many things much clearer now...

when the clen case erupted, there probably was a parallel, independent and most likely still anonymous investigation of several suspicious blood passport profiles. (contador’s might have been but one of those).
as the gravity of contador’s clen positive became apparent, someone within the uci anti-doping commission might have suggested to see if the timing of the clen positive ( 21 July) coincides with any of the (still anonymous) blood profile blips because clen introduction via a blood transfusion was never discounted. the effort probably did show something but not very clearly or conclusively. at that point, the uci probably asked wada to help with the blood passport interpretation. perhaps another scientist suggested the not validated yet plasticizer tests that leaked.

that’s how i speculate we found ourselves in the blood passport management situation.

depending on what they are finding in the additional testing could be a bad or good news for contador.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
Paying respect to the Norwegian Cycling Association, celebrating its 100th anniversary, Mr. McQuaid visited Oslo, where he held a press conference.
Here's a link to a page with outtakes from that press conference:
http://eurosport.vgb.no/2010/10/27/norge-far-sykkel-vm-2016-hvis-vi-søker/

Just a straight-up crook. I get pi$$ed at the athletes who are caught doping, but I feel for them a little because of the pressure that they're under and the knowledge that UCI is really not making a serious effort to help them by making doping either impossible or a lot harder.

But this guy is another story. Just a worthless scumbag. He pretty much comes right out and says they're preparing AC's defense for him, using all of the experts that UCI and WADA can put their hands on. What he also means, but doesn't say of course is "Li Fuyu? F**k him. What did he ever do for us? That Clen-doping loser is on his own."

It makes you sick to watch.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
«Blutpass von Contador ist chaotisch»
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/weitere/Blutpass-von-Contador-ist-chaotisch/story/26974613

This is older, but was a very informative summary anyway. Best I read so far. Unfortunately it is in German.
this link was quoted in different threads several times. since i can read german w/o the google, what saugy said jives perfectly with my deductions above - a parallel blood doping investigation was/is taking place.

it's purpose, depending on which side one likes, is either to increase the gravity of the doping charges against contador or, the opposite, to white wash them.

without saying this directly, saugy essentially implied that being the main developer behind the uci blood passport methodology, he saw the profiles and considered them inconclusive thus lending food contamination hypothesis plausible.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
... it's less than clear "why" a Clen-positive is treated differently from a "normal" A- and B-sample regimen.....I'm not one of this forum's abundant conspiracy-theorists, you know them from their knee-jerk response at the very mention of McQuaid's name, so I realize there'll be different takes on this point, but I believe they're wrong.

Gonna address that, as I have been known to comment negatively about McQuaid, without explaining what raised my ire. In short, his comments are so frequently proven to be highly inaccurate, that I can only assume he is incompetent, corrupt or both.

The recent obvious example is him indicating that UCI were awaiting results from WADA. to which Howman replied (paraphrased) "We don't do testing, I will have to ask him what he means."

There are heaps more that I can't recall at this minute (landis/showergate/coffegate?), which add together to form a picture. Perhaps we needs a McQuaid misdirection thread :)

This is a fun accurate and impartialcomment too.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
Gonna address that, as I have been known to comment negatively about McQuaid, without explaining what raised my ire. In short, his comments are so frequently proven to be highly inaccurate, that I can only assume he is incompetent, corrupt or both. <snip>
mcquaid may be both corrupt and incompetent, but it does not speak much to the conspiracy theorists hektoren criticized.

his slip of the toungue in norway revealing for the first time the substance behind the delay confirms that. phat pat simply does not think through before opening his mouth or is too talkative by nature.

before resorting to a conspiracy in the particular case of contador we need to appreciate the fact that wada is involved. what may have started as a deliberate pro-contador project is simply not possible anymore. too many people are in the know, too many diverging agendas and invetsments in the outcome.

consistently ignoring this reality would be a case willful blindness.

Berzin said:
Armstrong and Verbruggen are business partners. Some type of real estate co-venture in Switzerland.
There were strong rumors in 2008 that they were part of a group attempting to purchase the ASO, and with it, the Tour de France. Something Hein denied. But if you read through the lines, tell me if you believe him?

52280805-280-75.jpg

It makes much more sense for both Pat and Hein to be in the IOC, as that's where much more money and power lies. Plus cycling is now a badly tarnished sport in near tatters, almost a laughing stock of the sporting world, with even more dark clouds on the horizon. Being part of the IOC would be much preferable for anyone seeking not fairness or justice, but power.

The whole thing is a bloody mess - maybe I'll quit watching cycling and take up knitting or something. It really does baffle me how stupid (and corrupt) some of these folk are or maybe they just think we're all stupid! :mad:

sorry for the rant but at times I dispair :(

May 26, 2010
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
The whole thing is a bloody mess - maybe I'll quit watching cycling and take up knitting or something. It really does baffle me how stupid (and corrupt) some of these folk are or maybe they just think we're all stupid! :mad:

sorry for the rant but at times I dispair :(

i think they think we are stupid and that they are very clever.....:D

It has gone beyond a bloody mess and it has quickly slipped into the realm of monty pythonesque proportions and i for one laugh at it all because the other option is to despair and they are not worth that

Benotti69 said:
i think they think we are stupid and that they are very clever.....:D

I prefer to believe that this is half right. I think they think we are stupid but I think they are stupid too, if that makes sense. :)

McQaeda is nothing but an appalling public speaker with absolutely no presence or self-control. The most pathetic figurehead of a self-appointed junta to rule the banana republic of pro-cycling since, er, the last one.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Hope this corrupt monster system will eat itself at some point.

A while ago I was thinking why the authorities and some riders at pro level don't care about the fans and their feelings (frankly, I am fed up with scandals and politics in cycling and don't know what to believe in). It's simple as that: fans do not pay salaries to riders and politicians. Who cares if my feelings are hurt by another doping or corruption case? Nobody, except me. Politicians get paid by national cycling federations and riders get paid by teams sponsors. All these parties work hardly on delivering some show to the fans. It's a freaking theater and fans are just spectators. How can they protect themselves from lie and fraud? Stop watching? A real fan just can't stop. So what you call it - a vicious circle? ))

Maybe fans won't be just spectators in the future and maybe the system will be reformed to provide for wider fans participation in the process? But who cares ) show must go on.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
McQuaid continued by saying that "The investigation involving Clenbuterol also takes a long time. In the future you will see more and more of this in anti-doping efforts. We're going to take advantage of knowledge from research, information from police and customs officials. All of this may be dragged into a case and used as elements in an ongoing doping investigation, making it more complex. It also means that the cases are getting more like police-like investigations, and that it will take a long time from the beginning to the end of the investigation. When you reach the end point it's decided whether to proceed or not. That's what we'll see in the Contador case too. Cycling, and other sports haunted by doping, will fight doping more and more as the anti-doping work progresses and gets more scientific, more technical and more research-based. I think this is positive in the sense that science and the antidoping systems are catching up with the cheaters. For a long time that has not been the case."

Now, if I ever saw a half-a$$ed admission of impotence, this has got to be it. Doping-cases dragging on and on for years (until forgotten) is so not the way to move forward. The Valverde case was a travesty of what antidoping efforts should be like. And McQuaid thinks that is the way to move forward, and that they're gaining ground on the cheaters!!! Reorganize the sport! Let UCI handle the cycling side, and let an external organization having no affiliation with the UCI handle antidoping.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
Reorganize the sport! Let UCI handle the cycling side, and let an external organization having no affiliation with the UCI handle antidoping.
Correct mate, but will they do it? We are speaking about the tons of money here.
Also this doping drama is dealing only with the results of pushing the athletes to their limits. I mean Giro 2011 riders' reaction to the rout announced check photos 11 and 12 from above. ) These guys don't look very much excited. UCI should think of how to fight with incentives to dope, but that's obviously much more complex and expensive (?) than busting a few cheaters during the season.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
I prefer to believe that this is half right. I think they think we are stupid but I think they are stupid too, if that makes sense. :)

McQaeda is nothing but an appalling public speaker with absolutely no presence or self-control. The most pathetic figurehead of a self-appointed junta to rule the banana republic of pro-cycling since, er, the last one.

McQeada is an embarrassment of enormous proportions, to himself (but who cares about that) and to cycling, which we care about. I bet Verbruggen, Uniballer and Hog absolutely pí&& themselves everytime the guy opens his mouth......

Contador probably has a nickname for him too 'Piñata'....:D

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
some of you are just funny..

"he wanted to keep this quiet, *******!"

obviously that this wasnt suposed to come as a leak! this is how law works (or at least in theory)!!! the source of the leak should have been arrested (at least, processed). the case should have been solved first and then outsiders (like us) were informed about it. who are you to demand something like that (being informed about an ongoing investigation) ? contador isn't guilty (at least yet) and he has a chance (not that small as some of you think, maybe 50 50) of win this (use your brain and logic and you will now why).

if he get's free, someone will have to pay a large amount of €.. and the major guilty is the source of the leak and mags\newspappers that are "eating" this case (with theories (talking about those theories as facts, etc) etc) and contador's morale (if he isnt found guilty).

some of you are pathetic... yes, those that think that they are WADA scientists etc.. you know nothing (besides what wiki says).

TRENDING THREADS