McQuaid to sue Kimmage? for €6000!

McQuaid to sue Kimmage? for €6000!

Word has reached From The Stands of a claim made in a Swiss court by, among others, Dubliner Pat McQuaid against another Dubliner, journalist and former cyclist Paul Kimmage.

McQuaid, who is the president of the International Cycling Union (UCI), is seeking damages of 8,000 Swiss francs (about €6,600) from Kimmage. In the same action, the UCI and its vice-president Hein Verbruggen are also each seeking 8,000 Swiss francs.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling-chiefs-spin-the-wheels-of-justice-3003080.html

McQuaid -- who managed an Irish team which included Kimmage at the 1984 Olympics -- and his fellow claimants have accused Kimmage of causing them "annoyance". They have told the Swiss District Court that they feel "their reputation has been seriously damaged" by Kimmage, mainly in articles published in the Sunday Times and L'Equipe which they take exception to, and, in what appears an unusual development, they have opted to take action against Kimmage personally and not the newspapers.
 
Sep 5, 2009
1,239
0
0
The IOC took criminal defamation proceedings against British author Andrew Jennings for his 1992 joint book "The Lords of the Rings" which exposed entrenched IOC corruption.

Jennings never appeared to defend and the IOC won their case through his absence but Jennings made himself scarce from Switzerland to avoid judgment.

The content of his book was later vindicated when the details of the IOC corruption relating to the Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Olympics hit the fan.

McQuaid & Verbruggen are attempting to silence Kimmage [a usual objective of defamation proceedings] ahead of the expected fallout over the cosy LA/UCI relationship.

Very odd and maybe indicative of the lack of vigor is that McQuaid, an Irishman, in his personal capacity against Kimmage, an Irishman, should be taking action in the Irish courts.

Should be settled over a pint of Guinness.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
gooner said:
Kimmage is at this for years on irish radio accusing Mcquaid of cover ups and all that. He was only on Setanta Ireland on TV doing it last year. This has been brewing for some time between these two and i am not surprised it has come to this.

Here is one example of Kimmage on irish radio. Pat Mcquaid comes on straight away afterwards.

Press play and it will open up in another window.

It is 22 mins long and it is well worth a listen.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2010/downloads/floyd-landis-accuses-lance-armstrong/
McQuaid refused to come on the radio at the same time as Kimmage. He's running scared of Kimmage. I would love it if Kimmage and others took u the offer to attend the court and call out Hein/McQuaid.

I doubt his paper will pay for it with all the crap that News International is facing.

I wonder di they get wind of something coming and decided to head it off at the pass.

Interesting that they didn't take it to London where all the big world wide libel cases are held. Easiest place in the world to win a libel trial, yet Hein/McQuaid decided to stay in BankLand.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Is McQuaid going to sue Armstrong for bragging to anyone that would listen the he paid them off?

How about the BBC? Is he going to sue them for exposing how the UCI took a multi million $$$ bride to let the Keirin into the Olympics? Of course not, they only harass the little people
 
Dec 18, 2009
451
0
0
How is the uci funded ? This is a gross waste of resource . This could open a huge can of worms for the uci. Another example of them being not fit for purpose.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Of course they are not corrupt....oh, ignore this invoice of payoffs from the Keirin association to Verburggen and the UCI

 
Mar 19, 2009
1,311
0
0
I like Kimmage & I hope he wins his battle against the UCI men, although 6,500 bucks isn't a big worry. ;)
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
Race Radio said:
Of course they are not corrupt....oh, ignore this invoice of payoffs from the Keirin association to Verburggen and the UCI

:D

interesting. "public relations" my ***.
 
Jan 14, 2011
504
0
0
yes and no

BigBoat said:
I like Kimmage & I hope he wins his battle against the UCI men, although 6,500 bucks isn't a big worry. ;)
On the one hand if I could get E6500 from everyone who ANNOYED me it would add up very fast...

On the other hand, E6500 for damage to reputation> Does that mean 6500 worth of damage to his reputation, or is his reputation worth no more than 6500?

talk about slum dogs.... street corner crack dealers get more $$ when someone disses them.. (or so I'm told).
 
Ok that's it. Any ideas how we can get rid of McQuaid?

I mean he is some badass corrupt ******* that really need to be removed from his position. How are we going to do that?
Shoot him is my suggestion, but I am aware that there are probably better options :D
 
Aug 10, 2010
6,286
0
0
sniper said:
how studid are McQuaid & Verdruggen really?

the case is already boomeranging them back in the face, giving Kimmage full room to slam them even harder publicly, making them look like utter fools.
They're suing Kimmage for a relatively small sum and, from his statements in the article, Kimmage is planning on making no attempt to legally defend the lawsuit. You would think that Kimmage could just tell them to pound sand and let them go to the trouble of trying to collect their judgment.

But McQuaid and Verbruggen don't just get money if they win the lawsuit--they get a finding of fact that--because of certain specific things that Kimmage said--that Kimmage defamed them. If, after the lawsuit, Kimmage says those same specific things again then McQuaid and Verbruggen can sue Kimmage again (for a lot more money, perhaps) and Kimmage is going to be precluded from arguing that the statements are not defamatory.

Don't let the small amount cause you to think that this is insignificant. It is a plain attempt by the UCI to choke off a media critic.
 
Oct 16, 2010
19,912
1
0
MarkvW said:
They're suing Kimmage for a relatively small sum and, from his statements in the article, Kimmage is planning on making no attempt to legally defend the lawsuit. You would think that Kimmage could just tell them to pound sand and let them go to the trouble of trying to collect their judgment.

But McQuaid and Verbruggen don't just get money if they win the lawsuit--they get a finding of fact that--because of certain specific things that Kimmage said--that Kimmage defamed them. If, after the lawsuit, Kimmage says those same specific things again then McQuaid and Verbruggen can sue Kimmage again (for a lot more money, perhaps) and Kimmage is going to be precluded from arguing that the statements are not defamatory.

Don't let the small amount cause you to think that this is insignificant. It is a plain attempt by the UCI to choke off a media critic.
Thanks for the explanation. WHat chances you think they have?

In Germany, very recently, somebody called the Bundespräsident a 'liar', in the light of rumors that the Bundespräsident is corrupt, but it hasn't been proven yet. This somebody was then sued for defamation, but the court decided in the guy's favor, in view of freedom of opinion. So he can continue to call the Bundespräsident a 'liar', as long as the rumors of the latter being corrupt remain vivid.
 
sniper said:
how studid are McQuaid & Verdruggen really?

the case is already boomeranging them back in the face, giving Kimmage full room to slam them even harder publicly, making them look like utter fools.
McQuaid has UCI funds to bankroll the suit. Kimmage has his own pocket. They will give you an indication why they went after Paul and not the newspapers.

The UCI will win this one on money alone.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
thehog said:
McQuaid has UCI funds to bankroll the suit. Kimmage has his own pocket. They will give you an indication why they went after Paul and not the newspapers.

The UCI will win this one on money alone.
Correct - that might explain why there has been no Biological Passport cases in the last 2 years, the lawyers are going after the real bad people of the sport, Kimmage and the Hosking lady who called McQuaid a dick.
 
Aug 10, 2010
6,286
0
0
sniper said:
Thanks for the explanation. WHat chances you think they have?

In Germany, very recently, somebody called the Bundespräsident a 'liar', in the light of rumors that the Bundespräsident is corrupt, but it hasn't been proven yet. This somebody was then sued for defamation, but the court decided in the guy's favor, in view of freedom of opinion. So he can continue to call the Bundespräsident a 'liar', as long as the rumors of the latter being corrupt remain vivid.
If they have filed suit, and if Kimmage doesn't defend, they win the lawsuit by default. Kimmage has stated that he's not defending because he cannot afford to defend. There is also the possibility that Kimmage is not defending because he has no defense and that he can't back up his statements. Perhaps it is a combination of the two.

I am surprised that Kimmage is not defending, and especially that he is not getting media funding to help him in his defense! From a media perspective the trial would be the greatest drama. I would have thought think it might be worth the investment in funding Kimmage's defense.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
MarkvW said:
If they have filed suit, and if Kimmage doesn't defend, they win the lawsuit by default. Kimmage has stated that he's not defending because he cannot afford to defend. There is also the possibility that Kimmage is not defending because he has no defense and that he can't back up his statements. Perhaps it is a combination of the two.

I am surprised that Kimmage is not defending, and especially that he is not getting media funding to help him in his defense! From a media perspective the trial would be the greatest drama. I would have thought think it might be worth the investment in funding Kimmage's defense.
Kimmage has no defense, WTF are you talking about??

UCI are not corrupt?? You reall believe that BS, or are you speaking again from your yellow corner?
 
Sep 5, 2009
1,239
0
0
thehog said:
McQuaid has UCI funds to bankroll the suit. Kimmage has his own pocket. They will give you an indication why they went after Paul and not the newspapers.

The UCI will win this one on money alone.
Usually a component of the journalists' contracts with the newspaper that if an article is published, which must require editorial approval, the newspaper will support the legal costs.

Kimmage just cross-claims against the newspapers to bring them into the same action.

On Wikipedia for Hein Verbruggenthere exists a juicy bit of information:

In May 2010, Floyd Landis accused Verbruggen of accepting a $100,000 bribe from Lance Armstrong to cover-up a positive dope control in 2002
Accusation must be true as Hein has editing rights :)
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Velodude said:
Usually a component of the journalists' contracts with the newspaper that if an article is published, which must require editorial approval, the newspaper will support the legal costs.

Kimmage just cross-claims against the newspapers to bring them into the same action.

On Wikipedia for Hein Verbruggenthere exists a juicy bit of information:

Accusation must be true as Hein has editing rights :)
Kimmage writes for The Sunday Times whose owners are not enjoying a good time at the moment and their legal team is up to their necks with the 'hacking scandal'.

I imagine he ran it by them and they said not now. But L'Equipe are they not named or their journalist?
 
Benotti69 said:
Kimmage has no defense, WTF are you talking about??

UCI are not corrupt?? You reall believe that BS, or are you speaking again from your yellow corner?
Problem being is proving it.

The donation alone doesn't prove much.

Kimmage would have to fly in Tyler & Floyd to Zurich but even then those two only have what Lance told them.

He could call Saugy but I don't think he'd bring much to the table.

Only the Feds & Interpol have the power to extract documents from various sources to get some form of evidence.

Paul doesn't have time or money or even the authority for all of that!

It's McQuaid attempting to silence the bulldog before the *** hits the fan in the US....
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS