Menchov back in the light in 2012 at Katusha ?

Big news.

Katusha could do a BMC. Weakest team in the race to winning it the next year;)

Ok, Pope probably isnt going to win it and might fail bad, but he has to be one of the big big favourites, just in case he does bring it.
 
Yep, should be interesting if he has a bit of his 2009 and 2010 form, actually with 100km ITT in 2010 he might well have won the TDF...

It never made sense to me why he didn't join Katusha in 2010, must have been about the money and when Tchmil realized that he got a bit "vocal", things change...
 
Feb 15, 2011
1,306
0
0
I have been calling this move for quite some time, I cannot really see Menchov anywhere else at this point. I think he could ride a quite good TDF with Katusha, especially since there are so many TT kms this year.
 

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
5,122
0
0
The Hitch said:
Big news.

Katusha could do a BMC. Weakest team in the race to winning it the next year;)

Ok, Pope probably isnt going to win it and might fail bad, but he has to be one of the big big favourites, just in case he does bring it.
BMC were much stronger. Katusha's line-up will be mostly former track riders who support Galimzyanov. Menchov reminds me Ullrich for Bianchi in 2003. Top 5 is the ultimate dream for him.
 
Feb 15, 2011
1,306
0
0
airstream said:
BMC were much stronger. Katusha's line-up will be mostly former track riders who support Galimzyanov. Menchov reminds me Ullrich for Bianchi in 2003. Top 5 is the ultimate dream for him.
Ullrich was 2nd in 2003, 4th in 2004, and 3rd in 2005; I think Menchov would be happy finishing 2nd or 3rd again. I think it is totally possible. Katusha does have a few good riders, Brutt, Kristoff, Spilak... and some good tempo riders like Ignatiev.
 
Oct 28, 2010
1,578
0
0
gustienordic said:
Ullrich was 2nd in 2003, 4th in 2004, and 3rd in 2005; I think Menchov would be happy finishing 2nd or 3rd again. I think it is totally possible. Katusha does have a few good riders, Brutt, Kristoff, Spilak... and some good tempo riders like Ignatiev.
what did i miss? when did Simon Spilak join Katusha? :eek:
 

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
5,122
0
0
gustienordic said:
Ullrich was 2nd in 2003, 4th in 2004, and 3rd in 2005; I think Menchov would be happy finishing 2nd or 3rd again. I think it is totally possible. Katusha does have a few good riders, Brutt, Kristoff, Spilak... and some good tempo riders like Ignatiev.
Sure, but anyways the team factor is very important. There's no little things in the Tour. Yes, he can but he needs 2 outstanding TT's, in addition I don't think we'll see something sort of this year Pyrenees. Fighting in the mountains will be very bitter. Menchov doesn't like it soo much. The riders you mentioned are good, but they're for stagehunting mostly.
 
May 19, 2011
248
0
0
airstream said:
Sure, but anyways the team factor is very important. There's no little things in the Tour. Yes, he can but he needs 2 outstanding TT's, in addition I don't think we'll see something sort of this year Pyrenees. Fighting in the mountains will be very bitter. Menchov doesn't like it soo much. The riders you mentioned are good, but they're for stagehunting mostly.
I disagree, Samu came 4th in 2010 with no ttt and a useless team to say the least, Menchov isnt going to need the pace lifted on hills anytime soon, 1 or 2 team mates in the hills and 2 reulleurs to keep him out of trouble on the flat is all he will ever need

Sky has similar goals with wiggins/froome so Menchov can hang off of them, you only need a postal style team if your one of the top 2 - 3 riders

ie Contador Shleck and Evans
 

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
5,122
0
0
gilbertador said:
I disagree, Samu came 4th in 2010 with no ttt and a useless team to say the least, Menchov isnt going to need the pace lifted on hills anytime soon, 1 or 2 team mates in the hills and 2 reulleurs to keep him out of trouble on the flat is all he will ever need

Sky has similar goals with wiggins/froome so Menchov can hang off of them, you only need a postal style team if your one of the top 2 - 3 riders

ie Contador Shleck and Evans
Im not saying a good result is not possible, but it's still harder. Yeh, they didn't help Samu literally but Martinez and Velasco are way better than Katusha 'climbers'. And Sanchez felt a bit safer until they were rode alongside with him in the bunch. I don't consider it to be the main factor in regards to Menchov either, but nevertheless all teams include the climbers in line-up, although only 1 or 2 plan to draw up and set the pace drilling the peloton.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
3
0
airstream said:
Im not saying a good result is not possible, but it's still harder. Yeh, they didn't help Samu literally but Martinez and Velasco are way better than Katusha 'climbers'. And Sanchez felt a bit safer until they were rode alongside in the bunch. I don't consider it to be a main factor in regards to Menchov either, but nevertheless all teams include the climbers in line-up, although only 1 or 2 plan to draw up and set the pace drilling the peloton.
Rodriguez, Moreno and Menchov. That's quite a good squad actually. Can definitely be enough to control a Giro or Vuelta(Menchov won't need to control the Tour).
 

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
5,122
0
0
El Pistolero said:
Rodriguez, Moreno and Menchov. That's quite a good squad actually. Can definitely be enough to control a Giro or Vuelta(Menchov won't need to control the Tour).
The UCI ProTour winner and his faithful friend will never be asked to donate the Giro to help Menchov in getting top-5. Hopefully, these 2 will be able to control at least themselves in the Giro. :)
 
Daniel Moreno is one of the best domestiques around if 2011 is anything to go by. Giampaolo Caruso is a very good climber who has accumulated many a top 10 at short climber's tours, and will do a more than good enough job as a mountain domestique. Gusev can do a decent job. Petr Ignatenko won the Giro delle Valle d'Aosta a couple of years ago and was top 10 to Kitzbüheler Horn this year, he may not be ready in 2012 but he'll be a decent climbing helper at some point. Florencio will be okay on the lower slopes, he's more of a hill helper so probably more for Rodríguez than Menchov though. Spilak's not too bad in that kind of range either, more a medium mountains guy.

If they do land Menchov, then there will probably be some radical reassessment of season's goals; with a TDF suited to the time triallist and offering Menchov what may be his best ever chance at joining the select club of winners of all three GTs, they may well change the goals of climbing domestiques like Moreno and Caruso accordingly.
 
Feb 15, 2011
1,306
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Daniel Moreno is one of the best domestiques around if 2011 is anything to go by. Giampaolo Caruso is a very good climber who has accumulated many a top 10 at short climber's tours, and will do a more than good enough job as a mountain domestique. Gusev can do a decent job. Petr Ignatenko won the Giro delle Valle d'Aosta a couple of years ago and was top 10 to Kitzbüheler Horn this year, he may not be ready in 2012 but he'll be a decent climbing helper at some point. Florencio will be okay on the lower slopes, he's more of a hill helper so probably more for Rodríguez than Menchov though. Spilak's not too bad in that kind of range either, more a medium mountains guy.

If they do land Menchov, then there will probably be some radical reassessment of season's goals; with a TDF suited to the time triallist and offering Menchov what may be his best ever chance at joining the select club of winners of all three GTs, they may well change the goals of climbing domestiques like Moreno and Caruso accordingly.
+1

Also, a Russian team will more likely support a Russian rider... just my thoughts, but I think next year could be Menchovs best... he would have a great chance with the TDF route. Moreno will be an amazing helper.
 
Mar 13, 2009
2,890
0
0
Katusha are a very strong team, I thought always just lacking a leader for GTs. I just hope Menchov can find his late Vuelta form and challenge for a GT next year.
 
More Strides than Rides said:
Moreno could pull a Cobo?

I think Menchov is getting up in the years, but so was Cadel. He won't have the kind of pop to cover moves in the mountains, but he won't need to. His TTing in 2011 left something wanting though
Menchov's quite mercurial and reliant on motivation though; he's already won the Giro and Vuelta and didn't seem as focused on them as he was for the Tour in 2010, say. If he has the kind of pop he had to follow di Luca in '09 (which is debatable) he'll have all the weapons he needs, except brains when it comes to not losing time needlessly in week 1.

Edit: oh yea, and bike handling skills.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
The Hitch said:
Big news.

Katusha could do a BMC. Weakest team in the race to winning it the next year;)

Ok, Pope probably isnt going to win it and might fail bad, but he has to be one of the big big favourites, just in case he does bring it.
Favorite for Podium maybe, I have always supported menchov but I can't see him winning this.
 
Feb 15, 2011
1,306
0
0
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Favorite for Podium maybe, I have always supported menchov but I can't see him winning this.
Agreed; I think 3rd is plenty reasonable... I could see the top three as Contador/Evans in which ever order then Menchov.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY