• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Menchov retires - May 20th, 2013

As I noted in another thread, he is one of only about a dozen riders (may be more, but can’t seem to identify them), to podium in all three GTs. Also, he is one of just eight riders, AFAIK, to win at least two of three GTs and finish at least second in the other. Besides the five who have won all three GTs, the others are Indurain and Rominger. Heady company indeed, though his second in the TDF, like one of his Vuelta wins, came only following sanction of a rider who finished ahead of him on the road. And in his Giro win, the rider behind him was also stripped. Obviously, DM must be judged relative to his contemporaries in an era known for doping.

Some great riders in earlier eras missed this list, either because the Vuelta didn’t exist during their time, or because they were targeting other GTs, but it still is IMO a major accomplishment. As we’re seeing this year, while the TDF may have the toughest competition, the Giro has its own challenges that in some respects may make it harder to win or place in than the Tour.

Netserk said:
The Vuelta started in 1935, so I don't know who you are referring to.

Major Taylor?

Yes, but it was run only a handful of times between then and 1955, and mostly contested by Spaniards. IOW, there was no particular reason for a great GT rider of that era to target it. It was not run on an annual basis until 1955, and it wasn't till the 60s that it became prestigious enough to make it worthwhile for non-Spanish riders to consider it seriously. Also worth noting that until the mid 90s, it was held in the spring, conflicting with the Giro.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
When I think of Menchov I think of all the times I'd be watching one of the Grand Tours and forget he was even participating in the race. Then I'd look at the standings and realize he was in 4th or 5th place in the GC.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It signals the continuation of the changing of the guard. His retirement, along with others, Klodi, etc represent a break with the "bad" era of cycling. I'm not accusing either of doping, its just that the guys who raced in this era are retiring, and I'm wondering if it will change anything in the peloton.

A

Anonymous

I liked him, even although deep down I knew he was an 'old-school' doper. And if we're being honest, he probably doped throughout his career.

My abiding memory will be his Vuelta ride for Geox that steered Juan Jose Cobo to victory. Both he and de la Fuente were fantastic in the hills and I won a fair bit of money in the process.

Yeah, quite a few memories...another one would be working for Rasmussen in the 2007 TDF, probably as surprised as anyone else by what was going on and then going home disgusted.

Also the poor bike handling, 2009 TDF I think...remember being disappointed by his performance after that exciting Giro.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
icefire said:
If he had told Cancellara to SFTU on TDF 2010 stage 2 when he was 4 minutes ahead of the Shreck sisters he would be my hero.

He would have won the tour then maybe even if Contador didn't get banned.

Each year he always had 1 great GT and in the rest he was usually very meh.

Vuelta 2007
Tour 2008 (his giro was also good btw)
Giro 2009
tour 2010
Then it went downhill pretty much

Yep, the 2012 TDF showed he didn't have it anymore, completely focused, big talk before the start in that video (don't think I'd ever heard him talk before), everything ok until 2k from the top of PDBF and...his GC days were behind him. Nice stage win in the Vuelta though (not something Kloden would bother trying) and his PN was very encouraging.

Oh, another moment to be remembered is when he attacked on Prato Nevoso in the 2008 TDF and fell (the road was wet in his defense but still) ! I seem to remember he tried to follow Sastre on the Alpe d'Huez too that year...and in 2006 he had attacked on Toussuire before falling behind, not always the best at gauging his condition I guess.

Yup he tried to follow Sastre up the Alpe but was dropped with the second acceleration made by Sastre. He went so far into the red trying to follow that he was dropped from the Evans group and for a couple k he looked completely cooked but eventually managed to get back with 2 or so k to go.

Funny thing about Menchov was that he was never an attacking rider, mostly because he had the upper hand on the ITT, but he had a vicious kick he could use if needed.

Owning the Killer like a boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uuTRs2GnFS8#t=2163s

Parrulo said:
Yup he tried to follow Sastre up the Alpe but was dropped with the second acceleration made by Sastre. He went so far into the red trying to follow that he was dropped from the Evans group and for a couple k he looked completely cooked but eventually managed to get back with 2 or so k to go.

Funny thing about Menchov was that he was never an attacking rider, mostly because he had the upper hand on the ITT, but he had a vicious kick he could use if needed.

Owning the Killer like a boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uuTRs2GnFS8#t=2163s
When he tried to attack it usually ended in an uphill crash therefore explaining his reluctance to go on the offensive :D
Great rider, and with a greater tactical awareness (still remember the time Rabobank created echelons in P-N to gain him some time on his rivals and the only rider of the team not to make the first group was Menchov priceless :p) could probably have accomplished more than his already sizeable achievements. I will miss his absolutely unique way of flying under the radar and how he always let his legs do the talking.

The guy is major teflon, only rivaled by Klöden himself. Not sorry to see him gone. I did used to like him before a got a grip on pro cycling, now I see him as one of many cheaters.

Did a hell of a TT in the -09 Giro though.