Mental cycling statistics

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've posted it before in another thread, but Berzin's schedule in 1996 was insane:

The raw number are already impressive, between the 8th of April and the 21st of July he had 70 race days, but that doesn't even tell the whole story:

Pais Vasco, 5 days with 2 half stages on the final day, finished 5th on the gc
Then a block of 5 one day races, with the first starting 2 days later. Klasika Primavera, FW, LBL, Appennino and the GP Argau
The day after Argau he starts Romandie, 6 days of racing and finished 6th on the gc
12 days later the Giro, 22 stages, 10th on the gc and he wins the long ITT before the final parade stage.
2 days after the Giro finishes he rides the Tour de Suisse, 10 stages. He wins both ITTs and finished 4th on the gc
9 days later he starts the Tour, 22 stages, where he wears the Yellow Jersey for 2 days and wins the Val d'Isere ITT before fading badly near the end and finishing 20th on the gc.

Besides the clinic related stuff it's no wonder that the guy faded badly in the Tour, that kind of schedule while riding all those stage races for the gc is totally mental. Puts all the talk of Berzin becoming lazy after winning the Giro in perspective...

How about a more modern example of Sylwester Szmyd?

In 2010, he rode and completed: Trentino, Romandie, Giro, Dauphine and Tour de France. That's 60 race days in a little over 3 months. It doesn't end here. Right after the TdF, he rode Tour de Pologne and he was fighting for GC there.

How about a more modern example of Sylwester Szmyd?

In 2010, he rode and completed: Trentino, Romandie, Giro, Dauphine and Tour de France. That's 60 race days in a little over 3 months. It doesn't end here. Right after the TdF, he rode Tour de Pologne and he was fighting for GC there.
Yeah, but at least he was a domestique and only raced Poland and the Dauphine for the gc, while Berzin pretty much rode all of them for the gc (strickly speaking about stage races). IMO Sastre riding all 3 gts in a row in 2010 and getting 2 top 10 and one top 20* on the gc (and a podium in Donostia) is probably more impressive.

That's true but Szmyd was never on a level of Sastre or Berzin so he was never going to lead the team in all of those races no matter what. It's a different kind of thing but still you don't see such things anymore in modern cycling.

Lejarreta did Top 10 at Tour/Giro and Top 20 at Vuelta in 89.

Eduardo Chozas almost pulled of Top 10s in all 3 GTs in one season in 1991. 11th at Tour/Vuelta and 10th in the Giro.
The three top 3's have been done twice. I remember that from 2016 when Valverde was just one bad day in the Vuelta from doing it. But I don't remember by whom.

Oct 26, 2020
The three top 3's have been done twice. I remember that from 2016 when Valverde was just one bad day in the Vuelta from doing it. But I don't remember by whom.
It was Geminiani and Nencini

Oct 26, 2020
9 different riders from Lombardy have had a podium finish at Il Lombardia since the race was last won by a home rider, Gianbattista Baronchelli in 1986.

Paris-Tours did not have a French winner for 41 consecutive years from 1957 to 1997.

More Flemish riders podiumed Liege-Bastogne-Liege in 2022 than in the previous 39 years.

Among the five latest Giro winners, Carapaz is the only one to have won a bike race after the Giro win!
That actually is pretty mental.

Another statistic I just thought of, in a few decades the Adam Hansen streak of 20 consecutive finished grand tours will look completely insane. I feel like the only reason it doesn't seem that unbelievable to me is because I witnessed it myself.

Reactions: shalgo
Who are some of the best riders to never have won a stage in Le Tour?
Masnada. :p

Another statistic I just thought of, in a few decades the Adam Hansen streak of 20 consecutive finished grand tours will look completely insane. I feel like the only reason it doesn't seem that unbelievable to me is because I witnessed it myself.
The bold part is the mental part.

Reactions: Libertine Seguros
Oct 26, 2020
Best riders to never have won a GT stage alltogether?
Riders in top-200 PCS all-time rankings who have never won a GT stage. In brackets is GT starts.

Frans Verbeeck (4)
Andrei Tchmil (11)
Richie Porte (17)
Claude Criquielion (16)
Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle (16)
Sonny Colbrelli (10)
Andrea Tafi (14)
Niki Terpstra (15)

Reactions: QueenStagiaire
That actually is pretty mental.

Yea, but towards the end it was kind of just like Keith Yandle's ironman streak, he was doing absolutely nothing, just in the aim of ensuring that he made it to the finish and kept the streak alive. At first it was a curio the fact that he'd done so many consecutive GTs, but by the end it was his entire raison d'être. Yandle got a lot of stick late in his streak for taking minimal minutes and avoiding contact as much as possible (making him a complete liability for a hockey defenseman!), but because of his trying to break the record no coach dared scratch him (except in the playoffs, which didn't count for the streak, so made the record a bit of a farce when he broke it anyway). Likewise for much of the streak Hansen went through all those brutal stages working hard day after day to make timecuts and do his job for his team, leading out sprints, pulling back escapees, protecting leaders, getting in breakaways... but he got spared missing the time cut at least once to artificially inflate that total (should have ended at the latest at Formigal in 2016, at Val Martello 2014 they also extended the time cut which the autobus would have been outside, but since that was agreed beforehand shouldn't be held against him like Formigal should) and although the ironman streak was over by then, his last memorable contribution to cycling being whining to get a stage shortened because he didn't fancy a long stage in the rain kind of puts a dampener on the esteem in which what he actually did achieve is held.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts