• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mental or random cycling statistics

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wout Van Aert achieved the same number of TDF second place stage finishes in the first three days of this year's tour as Mark Cavendish has had in his entire life.

Since the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989 there has always been at least one German rider finishing in the top 10 of the Champs-Elysees stage. That's 32 consecutive years with 14 different riders.
Degenkolb top 10 confirmed

After today's performance Jonas Vingegaard is en route to be the first rider of the host country of the 1st stage of the Tour to win the overall in 30 years, since Miguel Indurain in 1992.
Not that bizarre a statistic given that I'm pretty sure the only Tour winners since to race a GD in the country they represent are Froome and Thomas in 2014.
If 2014 counts for Thomas, 2007 does too for Wiggins.
But the first winner to be born in the country of the GD since Wiggins in 2012.
Which basically all amounts to yet another way of rubbing France's nose in it over their drought...

• Haha
Reactions: Scarponi
Which basically all amounts to yet another way of rubbing France's nose in it over their drought...
Speaking of the French drought: they still haven't had a rider place higher than third on any stage this Tour.

The last time this was true at this point in the race was in 2013, when they incredibly hadn't placed better than fifth in the first thirteen stages (excluding riders on foreign teams in the TT).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosul
I recall that Thor Hushovd won Tour de France stage:
  • Finishing solo (2011 Lourdes)
  • From the small group (2002 Bourg-en-Bresse, 2010 Arenberg Porte du Hainaut, 2011 Gap)
  • From the mass sprint (2004 Quimper, 2006 Champs-Elysees, 2007 Joigny, 2008 Saint-Brieuc, 2009 Barcelona)
  • Time trial (2006 Strasbourg)

I count top 2 to 10 riders with the same time as a small group.

How many others have had the same? WvA currently doesn't have small group win. (5 mass sprints, 2 solos, 1 TT)

Reactions: hayneplane
I recall that Thor Hushovd won Tour de France stage:
  • Finishing solo (2011 Lourdes)
  • From the small group (2002 Bourg-en-Bresse, 2010 Arenberg Porte du Hainaut, 2011 Gap)
  • From the mass sprint (2004 Quimper, 2006 Champs-Elysees, 2007 Joigny, 2008 Saint-Brieuc, 2009 Barcelona)
  • Time trial (2006 Strasbourg)
I count top 2 to 10 riders with the same time as a small group.

How many others have had the same? WvA currently doesn't have small group win. (5 mass sprints, 2 solos, 1 TT)

Well, if that means a mass sprint is 11 riders or more on same time, and that you're counting as a solo winner if you don't have the same time as number 2, then Pogacar qualifies.

The bizarre cycling hierarchy of the British honours system when it comes to cycling (not complete and doesn't include paralympics)

Sir/Dame: Bradley Wiggins, Laura Kenny, Jason Kenny, Chris Hoy
CBE: Victoria Pendleton
OBE: Chris Froome, Geraint Thomas, Ed Clancy
MBE: Nicole Cooke, Mark Cavendish, Owain Doull, Matt Walls, Ethan Hayter, Pete Kennaugh etc

Nothing: Lizzie Armitsted, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Simon Yates

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS