• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mental or random cycling statistics

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If - as seems quite likely - the TdF podium remains as it is, all three riders who step onto the podium in Paris on Sunday will have stood on said podium at least once before. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the last time that happened was 2005.

Curiously enough, same case with the Giro this year. First time in many years, when the final podium contains only guys who previously podiumed said GT.

Heck, too lazy to check but I think the Vuelta has similar pattern as well. We usually see at least one guy who never podiumed said or any GT before.

If - as seems quite likely - the TdF podium remains as it is, all three riders who step onto the podium in Paris on Sunday will have stood on said podium at least once before. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the last time that happened was 2005.

Please note that I'm going by as it happened, even if some results have since been voided.

It will most likely also be the first Tour since 1989 where both the runner-up and the third place finisher are former champions.

Also, unless I've overlooked some results, this will be the first time that's happening where the winner himself isn't also a former champion.

And Geraint Thomas can become the first second rider to have stood on the podium three times while having to descend a step each time.

Last edited:
Since the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989 there has always been at least one German rider finishing in the top 10 of the Champs-Elysees stage. That's 32 consecutive years with 14 different riders.
No german rider on the top-10 of Champs Elysees, the streak has been broken!
I feel guilty. By bringing attention to the streak I might have inadvertently killed the streak. Is this some kind of reverse Streisand effect?

Luis Leon Sanchez is currently the best-placed Spanish rider in the Tour GC in 15th. The last time the best-placed Spanish rider finished outside the top 10 was 1981.

I have conveniently ignored 1998 when there was no best-placed Spanish rider as no Spanish rider finished the race that year.
I think no Spanish rider finishing the Tour in 1998 might be the crazier statistic in that post. Which is saying something.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Thomas was the oldest TdF podium finisher since JC Peraud (37 in 2014), but of the 11 podium finishes since then at age 30+, 8 have been on Sky/Ineos.

Of the top 4 in the Tour, the best finish in the Giro is 80th (largely because three of the four have never even started it).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosul
Jan Ullrich is the only foreign winner of a grand tour during the years 1999 to 2005.

Fabian Cancellara and Tony Martin have started 12 Vueltas between them and never finished any.

In the 1985 Tour de France, the top 4 riders in GC were also the top 4 riders in the points classification (with Hinault and Kelly swapping positions).

Gerrie Knetemann is the only non-Irishman to win the Col d'Eze time trial during the 1980s.

Reactions: Monte Serra

TRENDING THREADS