• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mental or random cycling statistics

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GT winners whose 2nd best GT result is not a top ten

Carlo Clerici - 1st Giro 1954, 12th Tour 1954
Edward Van Dijck - 1st Vuelta 1947, 14th Tour 1948
Roger Walkowiak - 1st Tour 1956, 15th Vuelta 1957
Tao Geoghegan Hart - 1st Giro 2020, 19th Vuelta 2022

Some GT winners don't have a 2nd best GT result as they won the only GT they ever finished

René Pottier - Tour 1906
Octave Lapize - Tour 1910
Odiel Defraeye - Tour 1912
Alfonso Calzolari - Giro 1914
Remco Evenepoel - Vuelta 2022

A rare 'acheivement' last weekend, and an apparently busy day, by Corbyn Strong:
11/09/2022​
2.PS​
6​
Tour of Britain
62​
11/09/2022​
1.PS​
15​
GP de Fourmies
12​

(Obviously not a true cycling stat, just an anomaly of CQ recording the ToB on the day it was due to finish, and Strong taking advantage of the early finish of that* to race in France on the Sunday)

* cue UK press ranting about what a disgrace it is that anybody should have taken advantage of HM's death and how he should have been sitting in a darkened room wearing a hairshirt and weeping copiously while watching non-stop coverage of miltaristic processions.

Last edited:
Tobias Foss is the first rider since Michael Rogers to be World ITT Champion without having won previously a ITT in cycling top tier.

And is the first rider ever, since the creation of the jersey, to be World Champion without a previous win in any TT in a stage race (not considering national championships).

And, together with Rogers and also Ganna, I think they are the only 3 guys to win the jersey without a previous win in a GT time trial.

Tobias Foss is the first rider since Michael Rogers to be World ITT Champion without having won previously a ITT in cycling top tier.

And is the first rider ever, since the creation of the jersey, to be World Champion without a previous win in any TT in a stage race (not considering national championships).

And, together with Rogers and also Ganna, I think they are the only 3 guys to win the jersey without a previous win in a GT time trial.

I don't think he can match Ganna and win 5 GT TTs in the coming nine months, though.

Pauline Ferrand-Prévot - a former Junior Road Race World Champion - became Elite Road Race World Champion in 2014, that same year Amalie Dideriksen became Junior Road Race World Champion.
Amalie Dideriksen became Elite Road Race World Champion in 2016, that same year Elisa Balsamo became Junior Road Race World Champion.
Elisa Balsamo became Elite Road Race World Champion in 2021, that same year Zoe Bäckstedt became Junior Road Race World Champion.
And, well, I wouldn't be surprised if Zoe Bäckstedt become Elite Road Race World Champion one year.

Reactions: Monte Serra
I've posted it before in another thread, but Berzin's schedule in 1996 was insane:

The raw number are already impressive, between the 8th of April and the 21st of July he had 70 race days, but that doesn't even tell the whole story:

Pais Vasco, 5 days with 2 half stages on the final day, finished 5th on the gc
Then a block of 5 one day races, with the first starting 2 days later. Klasika Primavera, FW, LBL, Appennino and the GP Argau
The day after Argau he starts Romandie, 6 days of racing and finished 6th on the gc
12 days later the Giro, 22 stages, 10th on the gc and he wins the long ITT before the final parade stage.
2 days after the Giro finishes he rides the Tour de Suisse, 10 stages. He wins both ITTs and finished 4th on the gc
9 days later he starts the Tour, 22 stages, where he wears the Yellow Jersey for 2 days and wins the Val d'Isere ITT before fading badly near the end and finishing 20th on the gc.

Besides the clinic related stuff it's no wonder that the guy faded badly in the Tour, that kind of schedule while riding all those stage races for the gc is totally mental. Puts all the talk of Berzin becoming lazy after winning the Giro in perspective...

How about a more modern example of Sylwester Szmyd?

In 2010, he rode and completed: Trentino, Romandie, Giro, Dauphine and Tour de France. That's 60 race days in a little over 3 months. It doesn't end here. Right after the TdF, he rode Tour de Pologne and he was fighting for GC there.

How about a more modern example of Sylwester Szmyd?

In 2010, he rode and completed: Trentino, Romandie, Giro, Dauphine and Tour de France. That's 60 race days in a little over 3 months. It doesn't end here. Right after the TdF, he rode Tour de Pologne and he was fighting for GC there.
Yeah, but at least he was a domestique and only raced Poland and the Dauphine for the gc, while Berzin pretty much rode all of them for the gc (strickly speaking about stage races). IMO Sastre riding all 3 gts in a row in 2010 and getting 2 top 10 and one top 20* on the gc (and a podium in Donostia) is probably more impressive.

The three top 3's have been done twice. I remember that from 2016 when Valverde was just one bad day in the Vuelta from doing it. But I don't remember by whom.
It was Geminiani and Nencini

TRENDING THREADS