• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mental or random cycling statistics

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
9 different riders from Lombardy have had a podium finish at Il Lombardia since the race was last won by a home rider, Gianbattista Baronchelli in 1986.

Paris-Tours did not have a French winner for 41 consecutive years from 1957 to 1997.

More Flemish riders podiumed Liege-Bastogne-Liege in 2022 than in the previous 39 years.

Among the five latest Giro winners, Carapaz is the only one to have won a bike race after the Giro win!
That actually is pretty mental.

Another statistic I just thought of, in a few decades the Adam Hansen streak of 20 consecutive finished grand tours will look completely insane. I feel like the only reason it doesn't seem that unbelievable to me is because I witnessed it myself.

Reactions: shalgo
Who are some of the best riders to never have won a stage in Le Tour?

Masnada. :p

Another statistic I just thought of, in a few decades the Adam Hansen streak of 20 consecutive finished grand tours will look completely insane. I feel like the only reason it doesn't seem that unbelievable to me is because I witnessed it myself.

The bold part is the mental part.

• Haha
Reactions: Libertine Seguros
That actually is pretty mental.

Yea, but towards the end it was kind of just like Keith Yandle's ironman streak, he was doing absolutely nothing, just in the aim of ensuring that he made it to the finish and kept the streak alive. At first it was a curio the fact that he'd done so many consecutive GTs, but by the end it was his entire raison d'être. Yandle got a lot of stick late in his streak for taking minimal minutes and avoiding contact as much as possible (making him a complete liability for a hockey defenseman!), but because of his trying to break the record no coach dared scratch him (except in the playoffs, which didn't count for the streak, so made the record a bit of a farce when he broke it anyway). Likewise for much of the streak Hansen went through all those brutal stages working hard day after day to make timecuts and do his job for his team, leading out sprints, pulling back escapees, protecting leaders, getting in breakaways... but he got spared missing the time cut at least once to artificially inflate that total (should have ended at the latest at Formigal in 2016, at Val Martello 2014 they also extended the time cut which the autobus would have been outside, but since that was agreed beforehand shouldn't be held against him like Formigal should) and although the ironman streak was over by then, his last memorable contribution to cycling being whining to get a stage shortened because he didn't fancy a long stage in the rain kind of puts a dampener on the esteem in which what he actually did achieve is held.

Ivan Sosa won the other day at Genting Highlands, Malaysia, more than 19,050 km (per Google maps) from his (Pro Cycling Stats reported) home of Pasca, Colombia. Given that the farthest away any two points on the planet can posibly be is about 20,040 km, is this the farthest from home a rider has ever won a race? (I have already checked other Colombian Genting winners)

Using Antipodesmap one can relatively easy find a point on the exact other side of the globe. New Zealand is antipodal to the Iberian Peninsula. So a Kiwi rider winning in Spain might challenge Sosa's achievement.

Checked for George Bennett. And he has one win in Europe, Gran Piemonte finishing in Barolo. 18,754 km from his place of birth in Nelson. Close but no cigar.

Based one a quick search, I found two New Zealand cyclists who have bettered Sosa.

Julian Dean won stage 4 of the 2001 Vuelta a Castilla y Leon, finishing in Zamora, 19,526 km from his hometown Waihi.

Greg Chadwick won stage 1 of the 2009 Vuelta Asturias, finishing in Llanes, 19,548 km from his hometown Opunake.

Didn't find that many other Kiwi wins on the Iberian peninsula, other than Greg Henderson. But he's from the South Island, which put him in a geographical disadvantageous position. As the antipodal point to his birthplace Dunedin is somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.

I found another couple close to the 19k mark, thanks to the Malaysia and Indonesia area which has a lot of Asia Tour races being close to antipodal to parts of Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador which are home to a few mercenary riders who ride on non-UCI teams at home so pick up UCI contracts with Asian teams for those races. Yonathan Monsalve (from Maracaibo) winning a Tour de Singkarak stage and Wilmar Jahír Pérez (from Turbequé, Bogotá) winning on Gunung Jerai in the Jelajah Malaysia, and in Sembalun in the Tour de Lombok are all around the upper 18ks. Álvaro Duarte (younger brother of Fabio) won the GC of the Tour de Lombok in 2018 which again is just under 19k (using Mataram, which was the finishing town of the final stage, as the line), but nothing that beats Chadwick.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Riders in top-200 PCS all-time rankings who have never won a GT stage. In brackets is GT starts.

Frans Verbeeck (4)
Andrei Tchmil (11)
Richie Porte (17)
Claude Criquielion (16)
Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle (16)
Sonny Colbrelli (10)
Andrea Tafi (14)
Niki Terpstra (15)
although Porte did get on the top step for a TTT in TDF18

Some might say noone won farther from their true home than this rider...

095-PIC373303499.jpg

(https://www.velonews.com/news/road/froome-faces-scrutiny-extraterrestrial-dna-test-results/)
;)

Using Antipodesmap one can relatively easy find a point on the exact other side of the globe. New Zealand is antipodal to the Iberian Peninsula. So a Kiwi rider winning in Spain might challenge Sosa's achievement.
Don't forget about Portugal.
James Oram from Palmerston North won stage 1 of the 2015 Volta ao Alentejo in Castelo de Vide. Distance = 19733km

TRENDING THREADS