• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mental or random cycling statistics

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Andreas Klöden deserves a mention too. He was close.

EXrducWWkAMQKRo.jpg
Came second 7 times but close 4-5 times.

It would also depend on one's stance on Française des Jeux, because they were the only title sponsor from 1997 to 2011 and 2013 to 2018, and the lead sponsor alongside BigMat for 2012 only - but also they changed names a few times during that time from La Française des Jeux to FDJeux.com, back to La Française des Jeux and then to FDJ. They therefore were the only sponsor with no changes for 15 years in one stint and 6 in the other totalling 21, but BigMat coming on board as a secondary title sponsor in 2012 breaks the continuity so they would be behind Rabo and Euskaltel if we stick to a strict definition.

But then if we are too loose with the definition then of course we just bring back the Belgian Lotto, who are the longest unbroken title sponsor as we all know, but they were the secondary sponsor from 2005 to 2011 because Omega Pharma (and a few subsidiaries) took first billing in that period. Nevertheless that means they were a primary title sponsor unbroken from 1985 to 2004, but with a revolving door of secondary sponsors that mean the team changed name repeatedly and obviously then it's not the same question anymore, just a question of longest sponsorship.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
It would also depend on one's stance on Française des Jeux, because they were the only title sponsor from 1997 to 2011 and 2013 to 2018, and the lead sponsor alongside BigMat for 2012 only - but also they changed names a few times during that time from La Française des Jeux to FDJeux.com, back to La Française des Jeux and then to FDJ. They therefore were the only sponsor with no changes for 15 years in one stint and 6 in the other totalling 21, but BigMat coming on board as a secondary title sponsor in 2012 breaks the continuity so they would be behind Rabo and Euskaltel if we stick to a strict definition.

But then if we are too loose with the definition then of course we just bring back the Belgian Lotto, who are the longest unbroken title sponsor as we all know, but they were the secondary sponsor from 2005 to 2011 because Omega Pharma (and a few subsidiaries) took first billing in that period. Nevertheless that means they were a primary title sponsor unbroken from 1985 to 2004, but with a revolving door of secondary sponsors that mean the team changed name repeatedly and obviously then it's not the same question anymore, just a question of longest sponsorship.
If we’re going down that route, then surely Cofidis are the longest uninterrupted lead sponsor? 1997 to present.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
The Viviani brothers have professional wins on all 6 continents (not including Antarctica).

Elia has won races in Europe, Asia, Australia, and North and South America. He has never won in Africa but his brother Attilio makes up for that having won a stage in La Tropicale Amissa Bongo.

Reactions: tobydawq
So, I'm bored, and one thing lead to another, and here's a overview of Kelderman's recorded injuries since 2014.

2021-09-01Crash in Benelux Tour | stage 3Fractured pelvis ,Fractured rib(s)8
2021-01-16Collision with car during trainingscampConcussion,Fractured vertebrae8
2019-03-29Crash in Volta Ciclista a Catalunya (2.UWT) Stage 5Fractured collarbone,Fractured vertebrae10
2018-03-11Crash in Tirreno-Adriatico (2.UWT) Stage 5Fractured collarbone6
2017-05-14Crash in Giro d'Italia (2.UWT) Stage 9Fractured finger4
2017-03-04Crash in Strade BiancheFractured finger4
2014-12-22Crash during trainingFractured collarbone3

I can see why he has a reputation as being someone who crashes a lot...

Wout Van Aert has only ever increased his CQ score. That is 9 years and counting of him improving his score. I spent some time looking and could not find any similar streak.
5 is relatively common (P. Bettini, F. Schleck, F. Pozzato, G. Van Avermaet, etc.)
6 is also possible (I. Basso if you count 1998 where he was a trainee, R. Bardet)
7 once in a blue moon (A. Kristoff)

But nine??

2022: 2810
2021: 2780
2020: 1702
2019: 898
2018: 597
2017: 492
2016: 306
2015: 56
2014: 35
2013: 0

Edit: Okay I did find some other impressive ones. It is not as spectacular as I thought but still the only one I found who sits at 9 (and counting)

8 - M. Trentin, G. Martin, J. Stuyven, N. Bouhanni
7 - M. Woods, Z. Stybar, D. Martin, T. Martin
6 - E. Buchmann, R. Majka, S. Yates, M. Kwiatkowski, F. Aru, A. Greipel, D. Pozzovivo, T. Machado

Last edited:
Wout Van Aert has only ever increased his CQ score. That is 9 years and counting of him improving his score. I spent some time looking and could not find any similar streak.
5 is relatively common (P. Bettini, F. Schleck, F. Pozzato, G. Van Avermaet, etc.)
6 is also possible (I. Basso if you count 1998 where he was a trainee, R. Bardet)
7 once in a blue moon (A. Kristoff)

But nine??

2022: 2810
2021: 2780
2020: 1702
2019: 898
2018: 597
2017: 492
2016: 306
2015: 56
2014: 35
2013: 0

Edit: Okay I did find some other impressive ones. It is not as spectacular as I thought but still the only one I found who sits at 9 (and counting)

8 - M. Trentin, G. Martin, J. Stuyven, N. Bouhanni
7 - M. Woods, Z. Stybar, D. Martin, T. Martin
6 - E. Buchmann, R. Majka, S. Yates, M. Kwiatkowski, F. Aru, A. Greipel, D. Pozzovivo, T. Machado
Enric Mas would possibly be at 8 if not for the shortened 2020 season

5 wins in a row:- does that count as a mental stat for a non-sprinter?
(or should I wait and see what the number is by the end of the week?)

Edit: Cillian Kelly on twitter has reference Dieter Thurau in the 1977 Vuelta a Andalucia, with 7 stages (and half stages) in a row. The first day had two stages, otherwise it would have been 8.

Last edited:
In the 21st century the longest winning streaks (including GC) are:

6 - Petacchi (full house in the 2006 Oddset-Rundfahrt), Démare (full house in the 2018 Tour du Poitou Charentes)
5 - Cavendish (last 4 stages and the GC of the 2013 Tour of Qatar), Boonen (from the WCRR to Tour of Qatar), Mareczko (2017 Tour of Hainan, if two 2nd places had been wins, his streak would have been 13!) Pogačar (and counting)

I couldn't find anyone else with 5 or more in a row.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monte Serra
In the 21st century the longest winning streaks (including GC) are:

6 - Petacchi (full house in the 2006 Oddset-Rundfahrt), Démare (full house in the 2018 Tour du Poitou Charentes)
5 - Cavendish (last 4 stages and the GC of the 2013 Tour of Qatar), Boonen (from the WCRR to Tour of Qatar), Mareczko (2017 Tour of Hainan, if two 2nd places had been wins, his streak would have been 13!) Pogačar (and counting)

I couldn't find anyone else with 5 or more in a row.

If Sagan didn't lose an uphill sprint to Gasparotto and Vanendert in 2012 Amstel, he would have had a 5-win streak too as he then proceeded to beat Haussler into 2nd place on the first 4 stages of Tour of California.

PCS has a useful feature that shows the most raced with teammates for any rider. Playing around with it for a while I made a (probably incomplete) list of teammates who have raced together at least 400 race days.

672 --- Greipel + Sieberg
611 --- Valverde + Erviti
592 --- Zabel + Aldag
574 --- Guesdon + Mengin
571 --- Rolland + Gautier
560 --- Van Avermaet + Schar
511 --- Sagan + Bodnar
473 --- Erviti + Rojas
471 --- Greipel + Hansen
470 --- Cavendish + Eisel
455 --- Chavanel + Pineau
454 --- F Schleck + Voigt
443 --- Valverde + Rojas
443 --- Zubeldia + Irizar
431 --- Voigt + O'Grady
416 --- Cavendish + Renshaw
413 --- Rodriguez + Losada
404 --- Voeckler + Gène
403 --- Veelers + Curvers
401 --- Contador + Paulinho

Reactions: gunara
Also interesting to compare the "Teammate most raced with" statistic to the "Rider most raced with" statistic. For example, let's compare Valverde's statistics:

Here's the top 3 of teammates most raced with:

NrTeammateNumber of racesNumber of racedaysR2R
1ERVITI Imanol122611R2R
2ROJAS José Joaquín113443R2R
3QUINTANA Nairo33263R2R

And here's the top 3 of riders most raced with:

#RiderNumber of races
1RODRÍGUEZ Joaquim128
2ERVITI Imanol123
3SÁNCHEZ Luis León121

Or how about Gilbert?

Teamates most raced with:

NrTeammateNumber of racesNumber of racedaysR2R
1CASAR Sandy63236R2R
2DELAGE Mickaël58218R2R
3VAUGRENARD Benoît40196R2R

Riders most raced with:

#RiderNumber of races
1VAN AVERMAET Greg188
2CHAVANEL Sylvain166
3DEVOLDER Stijn153

Interesting to note that both Valverde-Rodriguez, and Gilbert-Van Avermaet are long-standing rivalries.

A bit annoying that the one is race days and the other one is races. Or how am I to understand the Valverde-Erviti numbers?

TRENDING THREADS