• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michael Rogers after leaving Sky

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I am sure Michael Rogers gets mentioned in the Sky thread, but that thread is now massive. I thought it would be easier to start a new thread that would make it easier for people to do searches on individual riders.

Rogers won the WTT Championships 3 years running 2003,2004 & 2005. He has admitted seeing Michele Ferrari in 2005-2006 and was implicated in the recent USADA report.

He suffered glandular fever in 2008 and a recurrence in 2011. Hasn't been able to get back to his world beating form, although 2012 saw a vast improvement under the Sky team (amazing how everyone seems to improve when they get on the Sky team).

Recently Rogers left the Sky team for Alberto and Riis' Saxobank team, not long after he was asked to signed Sky's Anti Doping Policy, which he failed to sign.

Surely he must be a doper and a serious doper at that ?

Bratam said:
Recently Rogers left the Sky team for Alberto and Riis' Saxobank team, not long after he was asked to signed Sky's Anti Doping Policy, which he failed to sign.

For what its worth, Sky did say that all their riders signed the policy, at a time when Rogers was still under contract with them.

Do you have a definitive statement from someone with knowledge that he didn't sign it ?

I think the jury is still out if he signed or not.

(Of course he could have signed and quit, knowing he was lying by doing so)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Put out the biggest numbers of his career at Sky last year. Wasted his best years doping under Ferrari and out of Freiberg University - he'd have been better off racing clean it seems.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
For what its worth, Sky did say that all their riders signed the policy, at a time when Rogers was still under contract with them.

Do you have a definitive statement from someone with knowledge that he didn't sign it ?

I think the jury is still out if he signed or not.

(Of course he could have signed and quit, knowing he was lying by doing so)

I could be wrong, but I was of the understanding that a "no comment" from Sky was basically an admittance that he had not signed. http://road.cc/content/news/71823-michael-rogers-quits-team-sky-alberto-contadors-saxobank-tinkoff

For what it's worth, I wouldn't believe anything Sky says anyway. They have rarely been true to their word and have given themselves plenty of reason for suspicion with their myriad of mistruths.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
And to my knowledge didn't come back to Australia this summer (and certainly didn't race) at a time when the cycling press, and the sporting press more generally, were on the warpath.

His performance in the service of Contador at the 2013 Tour will be most enlightening.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
To anyone with even a quarter of a brain and even if they are the biggest fan of SKy/BC in the UK the situation with Rogers departure has to raise an eyebrow and demand an explanation, regardless of how he performed after leaving...

That he has always done OK in Crit Intl then did not appear this year, it does make you wonder even more...

If there is nothing to hide, then an explanation will do no harm as those who think he is (still) doping will still think that and will at least help those who try to see both sides see a non-doping side :rolleyes:

maybe he will blow everyone away in Romanide or Bayern :cool:

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, he has been keeping a low profile of late. He has a lot of questions to answer. Why hasn't the cycling press been hounding him for answers ?

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
Put out the biggest numbers of his career at Sky last year. Wasted his best years doping under Ferrari and out of Freiberg University - he'd have been better off racing clean it seems.

I feel pretty confident he was juiced up pretty nicely at Sky. I mean, why would he stand out from the rest of the team in that regard.

Hasn't Rogers been ill during the winter, could explain his lack of performance

Are people saying that he doped at Sky (as part of team wide policy), but couldn't sign policy saying he had never doped in the pat to those involved in his team wide doping and that now he has gone to work for Riis he has stopped doping, makes no sense to me.

I guess if you are one of the beleivers in the Sky Team doping argument you could say that the ZTP is that their can be no evidence to linking you to doping pre sky, seems a bi tenous to me though.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
del1962 said:

Are people saying that he doped at Sky (as part of team wide policy), but couldn't sign policy saying he had never doped in the pat to those involved in his team wide doping and that now he has gone to work for Riis he has stopped doping, makes no sense to me.

I guess if you are one of the beleivers in the Sky Team doping argument you could say that the ZTP is that their can be no evidence to linking you to doping pre sky, seems a bi tenous to me though.

Indeed. He was sick/injured in the winter, and has therefor struggled. But yes, he probably doped at Sky and likely he also dopes at Saxo. Question is if he has gone back to the old school stuff, or he has been able to stick with Sky's "wonder medicine"

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
veganrob said:
Not sure how wise it was for Riis to sign him. A known doper whose best years were 5+ years ago then resurrected under Sky. He is up there in age now for a drug abuser. 2112 may have been his last hurrah. We shall see.

Riis doesnt give a **** wether the riders dope or not. As long as they dont get caught. On the contrary he might have wanted some one prominent from Sky, to tell him about their wonder "methods"

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Cimber said:
Riis doesnt give a **** wether the riders dope or not. As long as they dont get caught. On the contrary he might have wanted some one prominent from Sky, to tell him about their wonder "methods"

Really? So he nudges riders off the team when he suspects they are doping because he doesn't care if they dope on his team?

As for the "wanted some one prominent from Sky" theory, that would explain why he tried to sign him before he joined sky...

--------

Why sign a veteran rider? As a stop gap to replace his veteran 'Captain de Route' who seems to be set on retirement perhaps? His eventual replacement still has a fair bit to learn.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Le Baroudeur said:
Really? So he nudges riders off the team when he suspects they are doping because he doesn't care if they dope on his team?

As for the "wanted some one prominent from Sky" theory, that would explain why he tried to sign him before he joined sky....

Only when he is scared they are getting caught (Rasmussen was a Titinac heading for the iceberg)

Le Baroudeur said:
Why sign a veteran rider? As a stop gap to replace his veteran 'Captain de Route' who seems to be set on retirement perhaps? His eventual replacement still has a fair bit to learn.

Those are not mutually exclusive u know. Had he aldry had Roger, he migth have tried to get someone else. Now he got a rider he wants (who is a known doper btw) AND he might get some nice insight into Sky's wonder methods. Double win.

I actually like Rogers, and I often root for him, but I am not naive about doping (any more).

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Cimber said:
Only when he is scared they are getting caught (Rasmussen was a Titinac heading for the iceberg)

The list of nudged riders is a lot longer than one name...

Cimber said:
Those are not mutually exclusive u know. Had he aldry had Roger, he migth have tried to get someone else. Now he got a rider he wants (who is a known doper btw) AND he might get some nice insight into Sky's wonder methods. Double win.

I actually like Rogers, and I often root for him, but I am not naive about doping (any more).

Why sign a rider to fill in the missing gaps about a rival team, when a quick call to Bobby or Sean would do the same? It doesn't fit the teams MO. Signing Mick, was a long term goal, and perhaps more importantly, also a rider on the new sponsors wish list.

I was super sceptical about signing Mick after the 99 deja vu at the tour, but it's just as plausable that Mick wanted an out from Team Sky (even for pure sporting reasons) as it is any other alleged reason. Of course I have my suspicions about his past, but no more so than a peloton full of other riders out there...

At the end of the day you sign riders to do a job, and who that fit your budget... What definitive is their for a Manager to know where rumour stops and reality starts if the BP checks out?

del1962 said:

So was froome. Doesn't seem to have hurt him (;

Are people saying that he doped at Sky (as part of team wide policy), but couldn't sign policy saying he had never doped in the pat to those involved in his team wide doping makes no sense to me.

As weak as sky's anti doping has been, having someone with as much evidence against him as Rogers sign the document that he never doped would have exposed the whole thing as weak. Of all the riders in the peloton that never got caught, Rogers is the most suspicious of the lot. Cunego and Cobo look like Bassons and Moncoutie compared to him. It's a joke that "we won't sign dopers" sky signed him and Barry in the first place.

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody remember an interview CN did with Rogers sometime between the 2012 Tour and move to Saxo where he talked about his GC ambitions?

Basically, he still thought he could be up there in GTs given the opportunity.

I can't find the article anywhere but I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it.

Anyway, his renewed GC aspirations are interesting in the context of his post-Sky horror-form.

It just seems like as soon as he left Sky his ticket to ride expired.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Team owners knows exactly who the needle users are.

They also know about dope doctors.

Yeah, this is a small sport and with riders chopping and changing teams regurlalry the news travels fast.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Yeah, this is a small sport and with riders chopping and changing teams regurlalry the news travels fast.

You dare to suggest people knew that Leinders was Team Doctor and part of Rabo's management team during the Rasmussen fiasco?????

That's just crazy talk... there is no way Dave had any idea about Leinders past. :cool:

TRENDING THREADS