• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mixed Martial Arts

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if a thread has ever been started about the UFC or MMA in general, but I follow the sport alot and would like to discuss if any of you are game.

Here is what is coming on this weekend:

http://www.ufc.com/event/UFCFox2#/fight

A couple of pretty good fights here.

I haven't seen Davis fight except in highlights, and Evans is coming off of a long layoff. Davis is a lot "bigger", longer, etc. I think he takes it.

The fight I am really looking forward to is Bisping vs Sonnen. I would have rather seen Sonnen and Munoz, but Munoz got injured a couple of weeks ago. Props for Bisping for stepping up.

I really don't know who to pick. If it was 5 rounds I would easily pick Sonnen, but I think Bisping may be able to run from him for 3 rounds. Remember the only reason he lost to Henderson is he got caught late, else he would have won that fight with this strategy.

I can't stand either one of these guys, especially Sonnen. But, I would like for Sonnen to get another crack at Silva though I don't think Silva wants any part of that.

ChrisE said:
I don't know if a thread has ever been started about the UFC or MMA in general, but I follow the sport alot and would like to discuss if any of you are game.

Here is what is coming on this weekend:

http://www.ufc.com/event/UFCFox2#/fight

A couple of pretty good fights here.

I haven't seen Davis fight except in highlights, and Evans is coming off of a long layoff. Davis is a lot "bigger", longer, etc. I think he takes it.

The fight I am really looking forward to is Bisping vs Sonnen. I would have rather seen Sonnen and Munoz, but Munoz got injured a couple of weeks ago. Props for Bisping for stepping up.

I really don't know who to pick. If it was 5 rounds I would easily pick Sonnen, but I think Bisping may be able to run from him for 3 rounds. Remember the only reason he lost to Henderson is he got caught late, else he would have won that fight with this strategy.

I can't stand either one of these guys, especially Sonnen. But, I would like for Sonnen to get another crack at Silva though I don't think Silva wants any part of that.

Great thread Chris E. I am a huge fan too. I want sonnen to win, so that he will fight anderson silva...with sonnen careers on ufc on the line just like he says in 136 :)

AkHnh2OCAAAWm2W.jpg

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
I think jones would win over evans or davis.

Nobody is beating Jones, though with Davis' size he may pose problems. I may be off base here with Davis beating Evans....Evans is a smart fighter and could very well get by him.

I have never seen a fighter like Jon Jones. I'm sure he will move up to HW eventually.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Don't watch it much anymore, but I have to admit I think it's structured really well, and now that the rules are concise and the safety oversight is there, it's a very well run sport, especially the UFC, obviously.

What I don't like is the fighters aren't free agents. Some of them make dirt.

Did he even hear it? It wasn't that trashy and the UFC guy brought up good points on what progress they had made and how many millionaires they had made, and disputed some of the pay rate, saying the bottom line is that fighters get about 50% of revenue, just like other major sports. I think ESPN did bring up a good point about prelim fighters getting low pay while locked into 3-fight contracts and somewhat at the mercy of UFC and the promoters.

But White is exactly correct when he says ESPN never covers them and never does bios or anything on their fighters. Not on TV and not on the radio. The same criticisms have been leveled at ESPN from tennis, golf and other popular sports. ESPN covers football, baseball and basketball. All other sports are side shows to them.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Chael Sonnen has issues!

That was THE most bizarre post fight 'interview' I have ever seen.. Joe Rogan was like WTF just happened?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Chael+Sonnen+beats+Michael+Bisping+gives+bizarre+post+fight+interview/6068117/story.html

He's an idiot. I understand trying to market yourself, but he has gone off the cliff.

After barely squeaking out a victory to not give your opponent credit is just total lack of class, on top of the shyt he was talking. Idiot. I am not a Silva fan but I hope Sonnen gets his *** kicked, then gets a beat down from the crowd at Rio. Serves his dumb*** right.

BTW, I had him winning 29-28, I thought he won the first and third round. Who was the idiot judge that had him 30-27 after he got worked in the second?

Zam_Olyas said:

Im actually pretty excited about UFC 143......I think the Diaz v Conduit fight should be pretty good and it is for the interim Welterweight title as my favourite fighter Georges St Pierre is out after having surgery for his ACL in his left knee. Supposed to be back fighting in the Fall (which i think is about oct/nov/dec??)

And everybody loves Roy 'Big Country' Nelson. He looks like your average pub brawler...so i think he has a huge fanbase because so many people can relate to him....he's not your superfit, super ripped athlete...he has a massive gut and looks redneckish. I remember him fighting Junior Dos Santos (current heavyweight champ) at UFC 117 - Silva v Sonnen (man, that was an awesome fight too) and he is the first guy to take Dos Santos to a decision. He just kept getting pounded by Dos Santos but kept coming back for more. And his opponent is Fabricio Werdum......the first guy to finish Fedor Emelianenko.

So should be some good fights along with the man everybody loves to hate Josh Koscheck v Mike Pierce

Edit: Wouldn't it be awesome to have Bruce Buffer's job?? Being paid to announce the fighters and most likely having everything paid for by the UFC. Hotels, transport, food etc

Just saw a 2 hour programme on Polish tv about Brock Lesnars career in MMA. I liked the guy from wwe.

In my opinion the greatest athlete in world history.

Could lift up 500 pounds no problem and at the same time do insane acrobatic moves like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32kaZifKHA

Anyway what an awesomme career and the fight against Shane Carwin where he got pummeled for 4 minutes straight, was just out of this world.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Let's see how he does when he's 48, like my guy. :)

Well I am a big fan of old competitors, why I like Horner etc but I dont think that makes him the greatest;)

BTW , another warrior hero you might be interested in is Odd Haugen

Not UFC but he was MR Norway in 1970 a body builder and model for 30 years then turned to strongman at the age of 45:eek: and became Americas strongest man at the age of 47 (which is ridiculous) and then got to World Strongest man when he was 55 and the 2nd oldest person in the competition was 35 and some were under half his age.

Zam_Olyas said:
Hitch,werdum entry song was Michel Teló - Ai Se Eu Te Pego and by the way basso's kid also like the song Son and Daughter

lol

Good to see Basso is raising his kids to speak more languages though.

But for a ucf fighter to have that as his entry, is a bit wierd, like having Barbie girl for your entrance.

TRENDING THREADS