• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mobile Telephone " Doping Apps "!

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
With Aljazeera TV reporting , that there is now a facility in India , for People to use their Mobile " Smart Phone ", to get Medical Tests done for about $1 per test of about 25 Medical Conditions , WHY , are not Pro World Tour Organisers able to apply the same Technology , TO EACH RACER ?

Have seen talk of SRM or similar equipment , being able to measure other parametres during a Race , thus with Internet , Sports Scientists employed by the WADA controled " anti Doping Unit " , will be able to more closely monitor info gleaned in ANY Event ?

Ideas anyone ?

Can't see phat jumping on this to save the day at Firenze ?

skippy said:
With Aljazeera TV reporting , that there is now a facility in India , for People to use their Mobile " Smart Phone ", to get Medical Tests done for about $1 per test of about 25 Medical Conditions , WHY , are not Pro World Tour Organisers able to apply the same Technology , TO EACH RACER ?

Have seen talk of SRM or similar equipment , being able to measure other parametres during a Race , thus with Internet , Sports Scientists employed by the WADA controled " anti Doping Unit " , will be able to more closely monitor info gleaned in ANY Event ?

Ideas anyone ?

Can't see phat jumping on this to save the day at Firenze ?

Pat won't jump on it. No doping controversy is the goal. That is completely different than anti-doping. Most importantly, WADA cannot do anything without the sports federations directing them. I would encourage you to read WADA's standards. They are very revealing as to how the system really works, versus the one the IOC/sports federations sell.

Working on the technical side and attending a number of "big idea" meetings I can give you a few reasons.
1. Internet access is *NOT* ubiquitous. Think about it this way, many races pay **big** bucks for a helicopter to fly over a race to relay the video container signal back to the production trailer. That's a mostly one-way protocol. If there was Internet access via GSM or whatever, no helicopter needed. And, if you say, "my phone works everywhere, why not app XYZ?" I say, telephony is a very low bandwidth stack. The only thing lower bandwidth is text messaging.

2. Near-field wireless (AKA bluetooth or whatever protocol) is not very good. It's okay, but not perfect. A WADA app would need a great deal of precision and the wireless part is a big weakness.

3. Mobile power meters under good conditions are not perfect. Bring WADA into this and we're talking a level of precision/confidence in values these devices cannot achieve.

3. What would the app be anyway? Please realize that every mobile device has, best case scenario, SLIGHTLY different API. I'm just talking about mobile phones. A Garmin-equivalent device is its own special, and limited API. So, it's not one app working on all devices. It's *many* apps with hours on each.

On the plus side, my ancient blackberry is a good-enough GPS tracker.