• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moreno or Vandenbroucke - OPL leadership

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Reported on CN today that Moreno expects to presume leadership in Grand Tours. But what about Juuuuurgen? I reckon they're both OK but the decision wouldn't have an impact on any GT whatsoever. So they shouldn't bother fighting for it. But what do you guys think?

I honestly think that either one of them is suitable to take the reigns, perhaps VDB most likely- but realistically the departure of CE left Omega-Lotto with no GT ambitions at all-even Gilbert already stated that the team will have to make the most of the season during the classics.

Moreno only stated that he has ambitions in the grand tours and the only one he specifically mentioned was the Vuelta which leaves the Tour and Giro open for debate. It was all pretty vague and just a rider stating his ambitions. There was no mention of what the OPL management teams' plans are. I would think though that Vandenbroucke being Belgian and having shown a bit of potential, would be their first choice unless Moreno just shows he's unquestionably superior.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Surely not Vandenbroucke. Van den Broeck, however, would be a better bet :p

Nah, seriously, in a belgian team, I rather see VDB than Moreno as leader for the TdF. He's shown potential this year, and I wouldn't cut his wings now. Moreno will likely be there to help VDB, and then to be the leader for la Vuelta. Anyway, Lotto will be a classic focused team more than ever in 2010, so maybe this has little importance. If they aren't supported, none of them can take more than a 10th/15th place, IMO.

Van den Broeck showed potential in last year's Giro too. He finished seventh overall with Ricco and Sella ahead of him - these guys both tested positive soon afterwards for CERA and maybe the final positions will change once the Giro retests come back. He also came second in the young rider classification behind Ricco...

This year at the tour its difficult to say how well he could have done. After his early crash in the TTT, he ended up 8 minutes down and subsequently went for breakaways. This did help him to finish high up on some stages but then maybe he might have finished more consistently high up if he had sat in the main group. Could certainly have been challenging for say 10th place. Cant see him getting on the podium or top 5 though.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
bicing said:
Reported on CN today that Moreno expects to presume leadership in Grand Tours. But what about Juuuuurgen? I reckon they're both OK but the decision wouldn't have an impact on any GT whatsoever. So they shouldn't bother fighting for it. But what do you guys think?
Van den Broeck for the Tour and Moreno for the Vuelta seems ok. Don't do the Giro and back each other up in both races. They won't win any one of them, but VDB could do well in the tour, maybe around place 8 and Moreno can certainly do a top-10 in the Vuelta.
Combine that with an 'almost certain' classic win by Gilbert and they could have the best year in a long time.

With Cadel they had tunnelvision. And that for a long shot. I think this whole thing could work out pretty well for them.

And please stop calling "Juuuuurgen" Vandenbroucke. Some of us fanboys aren't over it yet ;)

The Giro suits Van den Broeck? Theres a team time trial in there you know;) Apart from that though there is no long individual time trial so maybe it could be a target.

Not sure about focussing on a sprinter for the tour. I would have thought that will have a go in the sprints but i think they will have a tough time against Cavendish, Farrar, Hushovd, Freire, etc.

Maybe Silence Lotto will think about aiming for the polka dot jersey?

TRENDING THREADS