• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most surprising win of 2015

Most surprising win of 2015

• Wallys wins Dwars door Vlaanderen

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Stannard beats EQS at the Omloop

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Kiryienka wins the Rainbow jersey

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Skujins wins Stage 3 of California

• Degenkolb wins on the Hatta Dam

• Gavaria beats Cav

• Cummings beats Pinot and Bardet at the Tour

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Hermans wins Brabantse Pijl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valls wins Oman

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First one that comes to mind has to be stage 9 of the Vuelta for me - Dumoulin beating Froome and Purito on those gradients :D (Probably the first that comes to mind because it's one of the most recent).
EQS completely blowing up at Omloop was also quite entertaining though

Voted for Degenkolb. Would have voted for Dumoulin beating Froome, or Sagan winning ToC overall. For some reason I was confident Stannard would win. For many kms the EQS boys were doing all the work. With every km that went by, it became more likely, and developed in plain view, unlike Cummings' win for instance, which because of the camera, was literally a surprise when he appeared.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

proffate said:
Sciocco said:
Tie: Sagan California, Sagan WCRR

what? sagan winning worlds was not a surprise

sagan winning California though, that was epic and mind blowing

I don't think it is a surprise in terms of the course or how strong of a rider he is, but Sagan finally winning a big, big, big race.... :eek:

My initial thought was Stannard winning Het Volk, because that was the most 'make me laugh out loud in disbelief' moment. But thinking more, I realized that was more disbelief at QuickStep losing than Stannard winning... I always had the feeling he could be good since he wasn't working, but I figured they just had to break him with one of their attacks (or 'attacks' in quotes if it's Vandenbergh).

Sagan in Cali was pretty wild, although I'd say Alaphilippe winning on Baldy (and winning the overall but for time bonuses) was even more crazy, considering he'd never, ever shown anything on more than a hill before. Sagan, at least, you could see from breaks he's been in that he's okay with mountains, just not upper echelon. Alaphilippe's 2nd at Liege might be the surprise result of the year (or Benoot at Flanders), but wasn't a win. Seriously, a 2nd-year pro finishing 2nd at Liege? Totally nuts.

I gotta go with Dumoulin in the Vuelta, though, on the stage he beat Froome and Rodriguez. I feel like there aren't too many other riders in the peloton that when they go past you, it's inevitable that they're not coming back. But there it was, Dumoulin was already up the road, Froome and Rodriguez broke free of the pack, Rodriguez waited until they caught Dumoulin, waited... then went! And that was it... but it wasn't it. They came back. Even Purito afterwards said he didn't have the legs but he had hoped they would think that he was gone and just give up. Then Froome goes past and is in the clear, another guy that never comes back once he's gone. Then Dumoulin, who had already been up the road, comes back and blows by him! That would be like if Cancellara jumped from the peloton with 500m to go, got a gap, got passed in the bunch sprint by Kittel and Griepel, and came back to overtake them. Watching that was. just. puzzling. Like, what the hell did I just see? It's like when Landa won in Burgos for Euskaltel in 2011 or 2012 or whatever that was. Just really impressive and crazy.

Cummings beats Pinot and Bardet at the Tour that too on Mandela day for an African team. They had that stage but lost it. I think every body was shocked. impossible odds
Sagan wining Cali is almost mindblowing
Dumoulin against Froome & Purito. Not possible at all after being passed

Re: Re:

proffate said:
Sciocco said:
Tie: Sagan California, Sagan WCRR

what? sagan winning worlds was not a surprise

sagan winning California though, that was epic and mind blowing
He alredy won tour of sardinia and tour of poland. both of them included hills and strong field. for me wcrr were bigger surprise, it was him against others as usual, and his destiny was to finish second. dunno what happened. it's probably due to the nations team work differently as pro teams.

Between Dumoulin and Stannard for me. Dumoulin did something that just never happens in Grand Tours these days; a non-climber getting passed by arguably the best climber in the world, losing some time and then yet coming back past him to win the stage.

Stannard for the improbability of winning against three guys from the same team where he was neither the fastest sprinter nor the best pursuiter. Awful tactics obviously from Etixx, but still really surprising.

TRENDING THREADS