Moto GP

Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Thought I'd take this opportunity to be the first one to post in the new cafe section.

I offer you the greatest motorcycle racer ever...... Valentino Rossi
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,418
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Thought I'd take this opportunity to be the first one to post in the new cafe section.

I offer you the greatest motorcycle racer ever...... Valentino Rossi
He is pretty damn good. One of my best friends at university was a keen endurance rider and loved the 500cc grand prixes. Wayne Gardner won the world championship around this time and I got hooked as well. Then came Mick Doohan - legendary in his own right and tough as nails. Rossi still takes the cake, but Mick is very much up there.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Best helmet livery he's ever done, with his bugged out eyes.:eek: That photo was from Mugello last year. The Master of Mugello.
 
Mar 3, 2009
372
0
0
Incredible life story too. It's a shame he's not as colourful as he use to be. I remember Dorna asked him to tone it down, only to realise the mistake they'd made because his (and the fan club's) post-race antics were what many were showing up for.

I'll never forget the first time I went to Malaysia either. Every year he rocks up and sees all those kits riding scooters with '46' on their helmets, must make his proud.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Remember Laguna Seca last year, the battle with Rossi and Stoner?!!??!

I've heard spectating stories about spilt beer, spilt tears, and people going into convulsions like they just witnessed the hand of God coming down and steering Rossi through the corkscrew.
 
Mar 16, 2009
19,452
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Thought I'd take this opportunity to be the first one to post in the new cafe section.

I offer you the greatest motorcycle racer ever...... Valentino Rossi
I beg to differ. My vote goes to Kenny Roberts. They dug out his Tz750 flat tracker 2 weeks ago and Kenny took 3 hot laps. Rossi was next up for a ride but declined. Rossi is looking to ride flat track. But the TZ750 still is a widowmaker.
Don't forget two talents who passed before they could shine who rode for HD and where headed for europe. Renzo Pasolini and Calvin Lee Rayborn.
Mike Hailwood on the Honda Six. Agostini! on the MV. Yvon du Hamel riding for Kawasaki. Paul Smart.
spent a lot of time trackside. nothing better than smelling 2 strokes burning castor bean oil
ah heck they are all good.
When in doubt, Gas it!
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Somehow krebs303, I had a feeling you'd be the first one to jump all over this one.:D

Rossi still the best.... Ever.:p ... and he's not even done yet, that's the crazy part.
 
Jul 27, 2009
456
0
0
Yep, Rossi the best

But it's a damn shame we never saw him race Mick Doohan.

The other thing that Rossi gets about sport that is that the fans ultimately pay his salary.

While the specifics don't quite translate (though Robbie McEwen does a pretty decent finishing wheelie...) the principle is something that everyone involved in professional cycle racing should keep in mind.
 
Jun 16, 2009
341
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Thought I'd take this opportunity to be the first one to post in the new cafe section.

I offer you the greatest motorcycle racer ever...... Valentino Rossi
Ok, so you've put this thread under the title "Moto GP" but then say that you reckon that Rossi is the greatest motocycle racer ever ... So I reckon that your second comment gives me a chance to throw a dirt rider into the fray ... (Open question - how come so few people on this forum think about off road racing? Is everyone who reads cyclingnews now just roadies?? :confused:)

No discussion of the best motorcycle racer can be had without reference to Stefan Everts - the Belgian motocrosser. Not only has he won more world titles than Rossi, he's also picked up a whole heap of other titles - like being a part of MX Des Nations winning teams and winning the overall in ISDE enduro races ... As one of the other posters said, Rossi wont touch anything other than a GP bike, so I reckon that gives Everts one up in itself (since enduro is way different to motocross). And of course there's the fact that racing on the dirt/mud/sand/whatever that the motocross circuit throws at the riders every year adds another whole dimension ... :)
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Yes, Everts was good, 'was' being the operative word. Rossi is still racing, and 4 races away from being crowned with a ninth world title. If you compare the overall records of Rossi and Everts side by side, well... it's not even close.
I appreciate Motocross, don't get me wrong. Heck, I grew up on a YZ 250, but comparing Motocross to Moto GP, is like WRC to F1.
 
Jun 16, 2009
341
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Yes, Everts was good, 'was' being the operative word. Rossi is still racing, and 4 races away from being crowned with a ninth world title. If you compare the overall records of Rossi and Everts side by side, well... it's not even close.
I appreciate Motocross, don't get me wrong. Heck, I grew up on a YZ 250, but comparing Motocross to Moto GP, is like WRC to F1.
Ten world titles to Everts across all classes, 8 to Rossi (as you say, pretty much destined to be 9). Rossi with about 5 more race wins than Everts has in MX - which doesn't count things like MDN and ISDE. All still sounds pretty close to me! ;)

But yeah, I do agree that it will be interesting to see what Rossi does over the next few years - will be interesting to see how many more titles he can pick up ...

And as for the comparison being like WRC vs F1 - considering that F1 has become such a procession with pit stops becoming as important as track time and - save for the brilliance of Loeb - WRC still being very much about driver and car vs driver, car and elements, I don't think that you're helping your argument ... :)

On that note - my training buddy's just texted me, so it's time for a road ride .... :rolleyes:
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
kiwirider said:
so it's time for a road ride .... :rolleyes:
Road ride??? After all this dirt talk?? HA-ha:D

Same here brother, except I've got dirt roads planned in my road ride. See you back here later. I'm sure of it.;)
 
Jun 16, 2009
341
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Road ride??? After all this dirt talk?? HA-ha:D

Same here brother, except I've got dirt roads planned in my road ride. See you back here later. I'm sure of it.;)
Does it make it better or worse that I was riding my cross bike with road tyres on it?? :confused:
 
Jul 16, 2009
301
0
0
Rossi .... definately the best ever so far ....... but wait .... whats that I hear???

Rossi saying at this years Isle of Man TT that those riders are crazy ??

Maybe some of the guys pulling parts of house bricks and shrubbery out of their leathers deserve a mention. I saw one camera angle from the riders point of view and he was turning blind into corners at 200mile an hour.

What the ????:eek::eek::eek::eek:
 
Jul 27, 2009
456
0
0
There's a difference between skill and bravery/foolhardiness.

Are the Manx TT riders skilful, compared to 99.9% of all motorcyclists? Sure. Are they as skilled as Rossi? Not a chance.

What they are prepared to do is take risks that Rossi isn't prepared to take (I suspect he's also contractually barred from doing so, but the absence of the GP riders dates from Giacomo Agostini refusing to race there, if I recall correctly).

Given the number of riders killed and seriously injured, I tend to the view that the Isle of Man TT riders are foolhardy. I wouldn't dream of telling people what risks they should or shouldn't take, but there's no way in the world that, even if I had the talent to race a motorcycle there, I would do so.
 
Jul 16, 2009
301
0
0
rgmerk said:
There's a difference between skill and bravery/foolhardiness.

Are the Manx TT riders skilful, compared to 99.9% of all motorcyclists? Sure. Are they as skilled as Rossi? Not a chance.

What they are prepared to do is take risks that Rossi isn't prepared to take (I suspect he's also contractually barred from doing so, but the absence of the GP riders dates from Giacomo Agostini refusing to race there, if I recall correctly).

Given the number of riders killed and seriously injured, I tend to the view that the Isle of Man TT riders are foolhardy. I wouldn't dream of telling people what risks they should or shouldn't take, but there's no way in the world that, even if I had the talent to race a motorcycle there, I would do so.


Am I to assume that you are saying that the TT riders couldnt cut it on the track with the likes of Rossi?

Im not saying that they arent taking huge risks but does that make them foolhardy? Im not so sure. I reckon to do that you need a huge amount of talent and admittedly yes, not a great deal of respect for your health, but surely to get away with a fast clean lap deserves some recognition of high skill levels?? IMO.
 
Jul 27, 2009
456
0
0
Am I to assume that you are saying that the TT riders couldnt cut it on the track with the likes of Rossi?
No, they couldn't.

Furthermore, if Rossi ever decided that the risk was worth it, I'd back him to blow away the best current TT riders by some margin - if not on his first visit, then certainly by his second.

Im not saying that they arent taking huge risks but does that make them foolhardy? Im not so sure. I reckon to do that you need a huge amount of talent and admittedly yes, not a great deal of respect for your health, but surely to get away with a fast clean lap deserves some recognition of high skill levels?? IMO.
Like I said, the TT riders are very skilled at riding a motorcycle fast when you compare them to the vast majority of other motorcyclists on the planet. But your average ProTour domestique can ride a bicycle so much faster than mere mortals it's like night and day. That doesn't make them Eddy Merckx.

I think the TT riders are foolhardy because there are plenty of other places that they can prove their skill at riding a motorcycle without putting themselves at such risk. I can see why they do it - danger has an exhilaration all of its own - but it's not a choice I would make.

I feel very uncomfortable that by watching it on television I am, in a small way, encouraging them to take what I regard as an excessive risk.
 
Jul 11, 2009
790
0
0
At a race around christmas last year I was chatting to some mates, just disecting how badly I did really, this little guy in kit and riding a cannondale came up to us and started chatting about our bikes and the race. My mates all looked a bit shocked at this guy, finaly I realised that it was Casey Stoner.

Turns out his girlfriend/wife lives in my home town and hes good mates with Stuey and rides with him quite a bit. Interestingly he says he wishes his team would let him race bikes! IMHO he would make a pretty good climber, all 55kgs of him!
 
Mar 18, 2009
733
0
0
kiwirider said:
Ten world titles to Everts across all classes, 8 to Rossi (as you say, pretty much destined to be 9). Rossi with about 5 more race wins than Everts has in MX - which doesn't count things like MDN and ISDE. All still sounds pretty close to me! ;)

But yeah, I do agree that it will be interesting to see what Rossi does over the next few years - will be interesting to see how many more titles he can pick up ...

And as for the comparison being like WRC vs F1 - considering that F1 has become such a procession with pit stops becoming as important as track time and - save for the brilliance of Loeb - WRC still being very much about driver and car vs driver, car and elements, I don't think that you're helping your argument ... :)

On that note - my training buddy's just texted me, so it's time for a road ride .... :rolleyes:
With nothing but respect for Stefan Everts and his career, if you're going to bring dirt into the discussion I'd be remiss not to at leaset mention the G.O.A.T....

While he doesn't have the GP palmares of Everts or Rossi, for that matter, but I think it safe to say he dominated in his career.

There is very little head-to-head to compare Everts to Carmichael except for the 2005 Motocross des Nations:

2005 MXdN Results-

Race 1 (MX1/MX2)
Pos # Rider Nat. Fed. Bike
1 101 Carmichael, Ricky USA AMA Suzuki
2 19 Coppins, Joshua NZL MNZ Honda
3 7 Pichon, Mickael FRA FFM Honda
4 10 Leok, Tanel EST MUL Kawasaki

5 1 Everts, Stefan BEL FMB Yamaha

Race 3 (MX1/Open)
Pos # Rider Nat. Fed. Bike
1 101 Carmichael, Ricky USA AMA Suzuki
2 21 Townley, Ben NZL MNZ KTM
3 103 Windham, Kevin USA AMA Honda
4 19 Coppins, Joshua NZL MNZ Honda
5 7 Pichon, Mickael FRA FFM Honda
6 4 de Reuver, Marc NED KNMV KTM
7 9 Vuillemin, David FRA FFM Yamaha
8 3 Strijbos, Kevin BEL KNMV Suzuki

9 1 Everts, Stefan BEL FMB Yamaha


He was also won the MXdN in 2000 and 2007 but not head-to-head against Everts. 2006 would have been another head-to-head had Carmichael not been injured.

The G.O.A.T had three perfect seasons, two of which were outdoors on the big bikes. 24 for 24 motos won.

In '07, while starting up his stockcar career, he entered limited races. He won every outdoor race he entered that year.

I make take a little heat for this but I have to throw his name in there for at least an "Honorable Mention" :D
 
Jul 27, 2009
456
0
0
53 x 11 said:
..My mates all looked a bit shocked at this guy, finaly I realised that it was Casey Stoner.

Turns out his girlfriend/wife lives in my home town and hes good mates with Stuey and rides with him quite a bit...
From what I hear, a lot of the motorsport guys are pretty keen (and quick) cyclists.

Amongst well-known Aussie motorsport types, Troy Bayliss (a World Superbike Champion), Mark Webber (F1 driver) and Chris Atkinson (rally driver, used to race for Subaru in the WRC until the team folded) use cycling as a major part of their fitness training. Sounds like we can add Stoner to the list.

It'd be interesting to try following that group on a decent downhill stretch. My guess is they don't brake a lot...
 
Mar 16, 2009
19,452
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Remember Laguna Seca last year, the battle with Rossi and Stoner?!!??!

I've heard spectating stories about spilt beer, spilt tears, and people going into convulsions like they just witnessed the hand of God coming down and steering Rossi through the corkscrew.
OK I watched the vid. very impressive. My opinion could change if he racks up some flat track victories:rolleyes:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts