• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mountain climbers.

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Cycling should start a new type of mountain climbing race to really find the greatest mountain climber. It might work like this: Establish a course on a challenging mountain with a broad straight finish. Let one hundred proven wannabees enter, no teams. Through a series of elimination races find the ten best. They will race against each other together in a series of ten races, points given 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Two winners will be determined. The one that wins the most climbs and the one with the most points.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Mountain time trials in races exist for that very purpose.

Cycling is a sport steeped in tradition. Your suggestions for changing the nature of the sport to such drastic measures would not be well received. In fact, they make for comical reading to anyone who has participated in racing or followed the sport at all.

Kudos to you, though, for having the courage to suggest that your opinions of how racing should be are worthy of airing in a public forum. Sometimes, however, it is better to look, listen and learn prior to broadcasting.

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Maoutain climbing.

As a five time state champion I a well aware of tradition. I have seen the rise of mountain biking to a respected level. I have also observed that the winner of the KoM jersey in the TdF is not the best climber, he is the best opportunist. I think you will agree that the mountain stages are the most interesting to watch. Marco Pantani was lauded as a mountain climber but Indurain always took time back from him on the final climb of the day. The TdF had a mountain time trial up Alp du Huez. It was exciting to watch. I suggest that a competition to find the real best mountain climber would be popular.

Cycling is a sport steeped in tradition. Your suggestions for changing the nature of the sport to such drastic measures would not be well received. In fact, they make for comical reading to anyone who has participated in racing or followed the sport at all.

Kudos to you, though, for having the courage to suggest that your opinions of how racing should be are worthy of airing in a public forum. Sometimes, however, it is better to look, listen and learn prior to broadcasting.[/QUOTE]

TheBean said:
Kudos to you, though, for having the courage to suggest that your opinions of how racing should be are worthy of airing in a public forum.

wyzowl said:
As a five time state champion I a well aware of tradition.

Perhaps this forum should start a new kind of competition to determine which poster can be the most arrogant in their knowledge of the sport.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Warhawk said:
Perhaps this forum should start a new kind of competition to determine which poster can be the most arrogant in their knowledge of the sport.

No sh*t. That competition would be very tough to win as we have very competitive field around here in that area. :D

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I think I get where you are coming from owl.

Rather than think of the KoM jerser as the best climber's prize, I just take it for what it is - the jersey worn by the rider who has earned the most mountain points.

And the green jersey is for the rider who has earned the most sprint points.

They are commonly referred to as the jersey worn by the best climber and the best sprinter, but those aren't factual statements.

The TT up the Alpe was entertaining, for sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I enjoy the mountain stages more than any other. It IS exciting for me to see the top GC contenders climb and gain (or lose) a lot of time on their rivals, bt I enjoy the sprint stages and time trials every bit as much.

Curiously, what were you the champion of five times?

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
wyzowl said:
Cycling should start a new type of mountain climbing race to really find the greatest mountain climber. It might work like this: Establish a course on a challenging mountain with a broad straight finish. Let one hundred proven wannabees enter, no teams. Through a series of elimination races find the ten best. They will race against each other together in a series of ten races, points given 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Two winners will be determined. The one that wins the most climbs and the one with the most points.

What a stupid idea! That would be a huge waste of everything (time, money, riders capacity). You can figure out many other and more convenient ways how to estimate climbing abilities. Usual and more reasonable one - mountain time trial.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
TheBean said:
Mountain time trials in races exist for that very purpose.

Kudos to you, though, for having the courage to suggest that your opinions of how racing should be are worthy of airing in a public forum. Sometimes, however, it is better to look, listen and learn prior to broadcasting.

Now I see it being mentioned already. Happy you see it the same way:D

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Ohio

I was Ohio state champion. I also hold the intercity record from Cleveland to Columbus, Ohio
TheBean said:
I think I get where you are coming from owl.

Rather than think of the KoM jerser as the best climber's prize, I just take it for what it is - the jersey worn by the rider who has earned the most mountain points.

And the green jersey is for the rider who has earned the most sprint points.

They are commonly referred to as the jersey worn by the best climber and the best sprinter, but those aren't factual statements.

The TT up the Alpe was entertaining, for sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I enjoy the mountain stages more than any other. It IS exciting for me to see the top GC contenders climb and gain (or lose) a lot of time on their rivals, bt I enjoy the sprint stages and time trials every bit as much.

Curiously, what were you the champion of five times?

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Teaching.

I was reacting to the "lesson" about racing by a previous post.
Warhawk said:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Your ideas for having these competitions for sprints and climbing to determine the best climbers and sprinters are not needed. The best sprinters and climbers are already determined in different stages of different races throughout the year.

Truthfully the kind of competitions your suggesting I think would make cycling pretty boring. And reduce the complexity of it; which is one thing that makes it such a great topic to discuss.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Your ideas for having these competitions for sprints and climbing to determine the best climbers and sprinters are not needed. The best sprinters and climbers are already determined in different stages of different races throughout the year.

Truthfully the kind of competitions your suggesting I think would make cycling pretty boring. And reduce the complexity of it; which is one thing that makes it such a great topic to discuss.

I agree their is many different factors than just saying whover wins this competition is the best climber or because Greipel beats Cav at the Intermediate sprints he is suddenly the fastest.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Stop spamming the forum about Mountain race and best Sprinter, we don't need to change Cycling traditions 1 bit ok.

Don't take this as being harsh I just don't think your ideas are any good, we love Cycling we mostly watch the whole stage, you may not like that so id imagine the Track forum is for you.:D

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:

Agreed 100%

I used to know a couple of guys who would have "races" during the winter where they would hook up to trainers and see who could get to 50 miles the fastest. I guess it meant a lot to them, but to everyone else it was just two hyper-competitive guys arguing about who could be stationary the best.

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Ohio.

In those days we raced a one mile, a two mile, a five mile, and a ten mile race on day one. Points were awarded. On day two we raced a twenty five mile. The highest point holder was the state champion. The first three received monetary assistance and an invite to the Nationals. There were no professional riders in the United States then, we were all amateurs. We followed international racing via a British publication which we received in the mail several days after the events.
All you guys with no cycling experience, attacking me personally, doesn't change the results. I think that Peter Sagan is a tremendous cyclist. But, you must admit that he didn't take any pulls on the way to isolating his rivals. He sat on, as the sprinters do, and took the glory at the end. I still maintain the it was a glorious victory for Cannondale, and his sprint contributed greatly to that victory.
TheBean said:
Ohio state champion of what?

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Interesting format Owl.

What years were those events held? Ws there a USCF then?

As far back as I can remember racing (early '80's), we had a state champion for the 40K TT, criterium, and road race. That was in Florida.

Training partners I had never spoke of a format like the one you mentioned. Some of their racing was back in the '70's.

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Stationary racing.

We had two sets of rollers hooked up to a three foot diameter dial with two pointers like clock hands, one to each set of rollers. A red one and a green one. We always had a small audience, mostly our bicycle club members. Watching which hand was ahead spurred the racers to pedal like mad. We mostly had quarter mile races which took your breath away. Maintaining speed on rollers is very tiring and we were exhausted at the finish.
TheBean said:
Agreed 100%

I used to know a couple of guys who would have "races" during the winter where they would hook up to trainers and see who could get to 50 miles the fastest. I guess it meant a lot to them, but to everyone else it was just two hyper-competitive guys arguing about who could be stationary the best.

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
State championship.

First off, I still ride, and on a hilly course of twenty miles, but not every day. My racing was in the fifties. No USCF, only the Amateur Bicycle Racing Association: I think that was it's correct name. Imagine the Nationals on the dirt horse racing track in Daytona, or on the flat tarmac in in New York, City (Flushing Meadows) which was laid for the tennis matches, or on the boulevards in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Bicycle racing courses were catch as catch can, no velodromes. I raced in a twelve hour race around a parking lot on the Pittsburg waterfront, the Tour of Sommerville, Elgin to Chicago. No tour bus, no teams, just all for fun, AND IT WAS FUN; and it still is.
TheBean said:
Interesting format Owl.

What years were those events held? Ws there a USCF then?

As far back as I can remember racing (early '80's), we had a state champion for the 40K TT, criterium, and road race. That was in Florida.

Training partners I had never spoke of a format like the one you mentioned. Some of their racing was back in the '70's.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
wyzowl said:
All you guys with no cycling experience, attacking me personally, doesn't change the results. I think that Peter Sagan is a tremendous cyclist. But, you must admit that he didn't take any pulls on the way to isolating his rivals. He sat on, as the sprinters do, and took the glory at the end. I still maintain the it was a glorious victory for Cannondale, and his sprint contributed greatly to that victory.

Isn't it the beauty of cycling? Guys who sacrifice themselves for their teammate?

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Okey Doke....

Warhawk said:

I'm sure he never doped during his racing career, but if we went to his house, I bet we could find bags and bags of WEED...:eek:

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Drugs.

Marco Pantani was never cited for drug use but he died from an overdose during the off season.
Mongolian Torque said:
I'm sure he never doped during his racing career, but if we went to his house, I bet we could find bags and bags of WEED...:eek: