National Football League

Page 717 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just like they won in overtime by not keeping the field goal. Chiefs had let the clock wind all the at down, if that wasn’t dropped or scored they would have ran out of time to kick a field goal.
Though now that someone showed the exact wording of the rule, the clock didn’t matter to the Chiefs as long as their drive had not ended. So Niners absolutely should have put their defense back on the field but I can understand them wanting to have them rest.

Close game at least. Kind of sloppy. Whatever chances SF had they didn't take advantage of, but it wasn't Purdy's fault. KC and Mahomes did what it took to survive, and win. Respect to the refs for an invisible job and almost zero questionable calls. I think there's at least a 50% chance the Chiefs will repeat. Let's see who they are able to keep on defense as five starters on D will be free agents. I think it's more likely than not SF will be good, but won't get back to the NFC championship. We'll see.

I know some of you are done with football, and I get that, but I'm hoping a few people give the UFL a chance. This is the merger between the USFL and XFL, and starts March 30th with the two champions from each league meeting (Arlington vs. Birmingham)! The play has been surprisingly good in both leagues, the games move quick, the refereeing is really good. Ticket prices are reasonable, and players don't make insane money. Mark your calendar!

Future NFL dates:

2/26 - 3/4 - NFL Combine
3/5 - Last day to franchise or transition tag a player
3/13 - Free agency begins
March-early April - Pro Days. This year the Big-12 is holding a collective pro day for all teams.
4/25 - NFL Draft
5/3 - 5/13 - Mini camp

Close game at least. Kind of sloppy. Whatever chances SF had they didn't take advantage of, but it wasn't Purdy's fault. KC and Mahomes did what it took to survive, and win. Respect to the refs for an invisible job and almost zero questionable calls. I think there's at least a 50% chance the Chiefs will repeat. Let's see who they are able to keep on defense as five starters on D will be free agents. I think it's more likely than not SF will be good, but won't get back to the NFC championship. We'll see.

I know some of you are done with football, and I get that, but I'm hoping a few people give the UFL a chance. This is the merger between the USFL and XFL, and starts March 30th with the two champions from each league meeting (Arlington vs. Birmingham)! The play has been surprisingly good in both leagues, the games move quick, the refereeing is really good. Ticket prices are reasonable, and players don't make insane money. Mark your calendar!

Future NFL dates:

2/26 - 3/4 - NFL Combine
March-early April - Pro Days. This year the Big-12 is holding a collective pro day for all teams.
4/25 - NFL Draft
5/3 - 5/13 - Mini camp
I will be in football withdrawals until the trails dry out. I will watch the UFL, but the alt leagues haven't hooked me yet.

Last edited:
Though now that someone showed the exact wording of the rule, the clock didn’t matter to the Chiefs as long as their drive had not ended. So Niners absolutely should have put their defense back on the field but I can understand them wanting to have them rest.
When you posted that last night I wondered what you meant. Likely though, if the clock mattered, KC would have kicked the field goal to send it to OT2.

Future NFL dates:

2/26 - 3/4 - NFL Combine
4/25 - NFL Draft
5/3 - 5/13 - Mini camp
The USFL is such a blast from the past... back when I was really, really into football I'd watch some USFL (didn't Herschel Walker play for the USFL?) once the NFL season was over... maybe I'll give the UFL a looky.

Thanks for listing the future NFL dates!

I'll give the congrats to KC's D, but at one point in OT it looked Mahomes was just knowingly smiling while sitting on the bench... I've got no congrats for that.
IMO two possibilities: he was smiling because he knew that he had another shot to win it. He was smiling because his D had just held SF to a FG. Also, its a distorted view because he is looking up at the jumbotron watching the paly.

Essentially they don't need the clock in OT for the playoffs and SB based on my understanding of the 'new twist' on the rule. In this case, KC gets to finish their posession no matter what the clock does.
That is correct. I thought the timer still counted and the second team still had to score within that 15 mins. That’s why I thought it was a really big call as it’s something Niners wouldn’t expect, unless they thought of the rule the same way. But settling for the field goal both times was bad for them, their defense was gassed at that point of the game and I had said Chiefs were going to drive down the field to my family.

I’m curious who they will be able to keep, pickup, and if players will start taking less like in NE during that time.

Essentially they don't need the clock in OT for the playoffs and SB based on my understanding of the 'new twist' on the rule. In this case, KC gets to finish their posession no matter what the clock does.
Pretty much.

The only reasons I can see why they still need the game clock:-
1) Very unlikely but had the Chiefs kicked a FG and there was no other score through the 2nd Q of overtime then there would have been a "half time" in overtime with all the usual elements of half time (2 min warning, timeouts reset and kickoff to start the 3rd Q).
2) they would switch ends after 15 mins ( more relevant if there had there been a strong wind favouring one team).

Overall a good game, teams that normally score didn't, couldn't. Each replay regardless of team showed rampant holding in the backfield!! As in most of life it's the little things, a blocked point after made the difference, opening the door of opportunity. San Francisco has nothing to be ashamed of, Purdy is not PM..
Saw almost as much Tom Brady as if he was on the field!!
I listen to music @10-12hours a day.. I have always enjoyed at least something from Usher over the years, I felt like halftime was lost in translation completely, was a bit let down. Other than the Jesus commercials didn't see anything bold, w two exceptions. I watched the game on the local Las Vegas channel..
Circus Circus is a dump, they had an ad and showed circa 1970,1980 entertainment, of indoor rides run by carnival workers still on meth but in new uniforms.. and prices are starting at $25 a night instead of the $16 I paid a couple of years ago!!
And some law firm in Vegas had a highly, highly produced commercial w hundreds of extras and a few scenes, one in a mock court appearance.. Their theme " We win!!" Looks like it, spent millions, I guess lawsuits are still lucrative!!
Was bummed about all the injuries. All my small bets were losers and my only possible pay out will come from buying a couple of $10 dollar boxes at a bar in San Diego..
Oh well can't wait to see Chargers in the Super Bowl next year which is a sure thing

Pretty much.

The only reasons I can see why they still need the game clock:-
1) Very unlikely but had the Chiefs kicked a FG and there was no other score through the 2nd Q of overtime then there would have been a "half time" in overtime with all the usual elements of half time (2 min warning, timeouts reset and kickoff to start the 3rd Q).
2) they would switch ends after 15 mins ( more relevant if there had there been a strong wind favouring one team).
Maybe one day we will have a double overtime (kind of hoping it’d be this one just to be able to say we saw it).

I think lack of player and team familiarity is what has kept me from getting into an alt league, but I might give the UFL a try.
It's a lot like watching an NFL game where PJ Walker is the QB for one team, and Josh Jefferson a QB for the other (both guys came from spring football!). You'll recognize a few names, guys who didn't play much in the NFL, or were good in college but never stuck to an NFL squad. But otherwise, just watch and enjoy, you'll catch on.
I’m curious who they will be able to keep, pickup, and if players will start taking less like in NE during that time.
Yesterday I posted they could lose 5 players. This article says 7. More names than I realized. This could hurt them on defense, but as long as they have Reid and Mahomes, KC has a serious chance to go deep into any playoff year.
Each replay regardless of team showed rampant holding in the backfield!!
Are you talking about the OL? Or DBs? Or both?! This has been brought up in other places on the web. Both teams held, numerous times, half of them could have been called resulting in several penalties. At least 1-2 per team were blatant and should have been, maybe more. This is just on the OL, but also a lot of talk of the defensive backfields of both teams got away with a lot of contact.

But my thinking is the game was such a defensive struggle to begin with, plus the refs have come under scrutiny all season, this refereeing group likely had a meeting before the game and collectively had a "let them play" mindset and were absolutely positively NOT going to walk away from this game having the conversation about them. So I can't blame them. Regardless of the calls/non-calls, the game was fairly officiated. No one can dispute that.
All my small bets were losers and my only possible pay out will come from buying a couple of $10 dollar boxes at a bar in San Diego..
You didn't pick KC plus the points? This is the one SB I recall where almost everyone who pays close attention to football thought KC would win. Even most TV pundits and experts were siding with KC, or at least KC plus the points. A lot of casual fans were pushing SF. So this seemed like the "easy" bet to me. Take KC with the points. Oh well.
Other than the Jesus commercials didn't see anything bold, w two exceptions.
Same here. Not very creative to me either. There were a LOT of commercials that had some famous actor or star in it (many I didn't recognize and my family had to let me know who they are). This has always been the case during Super Bowl commercials, but this is the first time the vast majority of them were this way with famous people. It's like some sort of risk averse plan. "We can't come up with anything interesting, just cut Jennifer Anniston a fat check and get her to read these lines!"

Last edited:
It's a lot like watching an NFL game where PJ Walker is the QB for one team, and Josh Jefferson a QB for the other (both guys came from spring football!). You'll recognize a few names, guys who didn't play much in the NFL, or were good in college but never stuck to an NFL squad. But otherwise, just watch and enjoy, you'll catch on.

Yesterday I posted they could lose 5 players. This article says 7. More names than I realized. This could hurt them on defense, but as long as they have Reid and Mahomes, KC has a serious chance to go deep into any playoff year.

Are you talking about the OL? Or DBs? Or both?! This has been brought up in other places on the web. Both teams held, numerous times, half of them could have been called resulting in several penalties. At least 1-2 per team were blatant and should have been, maybe more. This is just on the OL, but also a lot of talk of the defensive backfields of both teams got away with a lot of contact.

But my thinking is the game was such a defensive struggle to begin with, plus the refs have come under scrutiny all season, this refereeing group likely had a meeting before the game and collectively had a "let them play" mindset and were absolutely positively NOT going to walk away from this game having the conversation about them. So I can't blame them. Regardless of the calls/non-calls, the game was fairly officiated. No one can dispute that.

You didn't pick KC plus the points? This is the one SB I recall where almost everyone who pays close attention to football thought KC would win. Even most TV pundits and experts were siding with KC, or at least KC plus the points. A lot of casual fans were pushing SF. So this seemed like the "easy" bet to me. Take KC with the points. Oh well.

Same here. Not very creative to me either. There were a LOT of commercials that had some famous actor or star in it (many I didn't recognize and my family had to let me know who they are). This has always been the case during Super Bowl commercials, but this is the first time the vast majority of them were this way with famous people. It's like some sort of risk averse plan. "We can't come up with anything interesting, just cut Jennifer Anniston a fat check and get her to read these lines!"
Offensive line on both teams was given a very very liberal interpretation of holding. Was truly heartbreaking to see replay of guys trying to rush the passer or running back, with arms around them, as if dancing.
I bet the standard squares, just a piece of graph paper and there numbers are randomly selected. The two I did were halftime and overall win and the other was the same, just overall score. So if your box intersects w 2-5 you win and halftime was 0-3..
My biggest headache yesterday was multi layered.. Had to explain who Taylor Swift is.. Majority of the room are completely unfamiliar with her.
Had to explain, she doesn't own the team.. Had to explain she was not performing at halftime..
I tried to explain the sudden and bizarre fascination with her, her romance, her overnight involvement w NFL..
I have watched lots of football and never seen a guy on special teams deserve a quarter of the highlight reel!! Downing the ball on the one!! Catching it like Derek Jeter at shortstop and a 100 mph clothesline tackle that made me spill my drink it was so gigantic!!
Mixed feelings about Kelce flare up.. He was being unprofessional and a baby about not being the target.. but when in the second half he got the ball he made the most of it..and weird camera work Kelce wanted out, was getting to the sideline at any cost, lowered his shoulder and TV crew put camera on injured defensive back 2 or 3 times while he was holding and rubbing his Kelce krushed arm..
I was also happy with new overtime rules.. Think it should be standard

Only thing I would change is the overtime 15 mins should actually end at 00:00 even if still on the second teams initial drive. Otherwise the second team continues to have the massive benefit of 4 downs, knowing the score they need to get, and potentially going for 2 to win.

Reactions: jmdirt
You can’t reward the MVP to the entire defense and special team, otherwise they would have got it. They kept the offense in the game the whole night until Mahomes drove down the field and won. Definitely a dynasty and could win three in a row if they can keep this defense together. I’ve always said Patriots were the only team that could have won 5 in a row from 2014-2018 potentially but Chiefs could have won 6 in a row if it went their way.
That's true...but you can reward MVP to a defensive player (e.g. Von Miller in SB 50). So, is there anyone on KC's D that you would reward MVP to?

It was Mahomes' 2nd half performance that changed the game. His overall stats were 333 yds passing, 2 TDs, 66 yds rushing on 9 scrambles (leading rusher) - that's almost 400 yds of total O! And this is in the SB against a top-10 defense. His playmaking skills were outstanding when chips were down. His leadership ability in big games was exceptional. Players will play extra-hard for a QB of his magnitude.

This was a tale of 2 halves. Football is a game of adjustments - particularly at halftime. The first half means almost nothing in the NFL these days (Tbh, I didn't even watch the first half of the game instead going to the gym for my Sunday workout where I practically had the whole joint to myself. Lol).

Question: Do you think KC could have achieved this kind of success if they had kept Alex Smith instead of acquiring Mahomes? And it's GM Brett Veach that gets all the credit for discovering Mahomes, Veach, who was co-director of player personnel & KC's top scout of that time period, was sold on Mahomes clear back in his freshman year at TT calling him the "best quarterback he's ever seen." In fact, Reid said that Veach kept pestering him to do whatever it would take to draft Mahomes when he became draft eligible.

View: https://youtu.be/kdJN7hFyUXA?si=ZOsXFOpAjcuH7WqH

Last edited: