New bike - what accessories?

Apr 23, 2020
Does anyone have a list of essentials needed to outfit a bike for general path riding? Tube patches, seat bag, etc?

Seat or handlebar bag, 2 replacement tubes, tire removal irons, pump, a small cut-out section of old tire to use inside the tire in case of a casing rip (I never had to use it!). Small adjustable wrench or 'bike tool combo', allen key tool combo. A few paper towels to wipe grease / oil off your hands. Small first-aid kit.

Jay

Reactions: bestgears
Jun 18, 2020
Definitely need to have a repair kit and a first aid kit. I always keep both in case something happens while cycling. I do a lot of long distance cycling so I always want to be prepared for anything.

Reactions: bestgears
Jan 11, 2021
I agree with the repair and first aid kit since it'll come in handy if you're traveling far. I use the smart pannier bag from Blix for extra storage and their front basket to hold my Hydroflask.

Feb 5, 2021
Anyone has a good place they recommend buying a repair kit? I haven't been able to find anything terribly well made

Apr 17, 2021
Because I generally ride in town and on multi-use paths, a good, loud bike bell is an essential piece of safety equipment for me.
I have a rear rack with a bungee net on which I keep my lock/wheel cable and can attach panniers to go shopping, bring my books to class, and so on. This weekend, I'm even planning a light bicycle camping trip with my partner. As a result, racks and panniers are quite vital to me.
Fenders don't keep you dry in the rain, but they do keep you from getting too muddy, and a decent set will keep mud from caking your mechanicals, so they're a must if you ride in all kinds of weather.
Last but not least, a good pair of lights. After years of attempting to make do with $20 lights, I eventually gave up and purchased a Cygolite Metro 400 and bike air filter here. I quickly switched to a Light and Motion Urban 800 after that. Another crucial piece of safety and utility equipment is a lamp with at least 300 lumens.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY