• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Road Bike Opinions

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Apologies in advance for not searching more before posting this. I have been out of riding for a few years and I am in the market for a new ride. My history includes racing for 10+ years, both road and cyclo-cross ('95-'05). I have a Reynolds 531 Serotta Atlanta but it's rusting badly. I had a bad experience with a Kestrel carbon fiber frame - after 50-60 miles, it was unpleasant to ride. I am considering the Endurance class, but they are very hard to find in New Hampshire in my size (62cm) - I'm 6'3" 195+ pounds.

Opinions from larger/heavier riders on

Giant Defy Pro 0 / Pro 1
Trek Domane
Specialized Roubaix

and other choices would be appreciated. The LBSes have low-end or aluminum versions of some of these bikes, but it's not the same. I rode a used Domane 6 series and while spinning up a hill, I found the isospeed decoupler felt bouncy. The Giant Defy Pro 0 looks like the best bang for the buck, but there aren't any available locally.

I am more in favor of race geometries - but without the harsh effects of century rides. I don't plan on racing it.

Thanks

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
If you have the cash go for a custom frame.
My first racing bike was a custom bike. All the stuff I wanted in the colors I wanted and the geometry I wanted. too bad Mr Colnago was not consulted because his standard bikes made my custom completely lame. Now one caveat I fit regular geometries without crazy adjustments. I don't need a longer top tube for example.
Colnago's top lines can be custom built too. My point is a really good frame builder understands a well balanced bike and builds them that way. Most custom purchasers are satisfying a particular ego need whether paint or a special feature. Custom while more personal is not always necessary and if you really are not sure of what you need versus what you want you might have a less perfect bike in the end. Most good frame builders would stop short of really bad geometry changes but not all frame builders have that experience. A friend has 2 absolutely stunning Vanilla bikes. 1 road and 1 CX. neither is an outstanding performer. Both are gorgeous but neither is that much different in their ride than the stock Bikes he owns. I really think he just likes the attention they get.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Two years ago I decided to buy a US made Lynksky bike with a Titanium Alloy frame with bare brushed finish. A little heavier than I expected but is a really nice handling and comfortable ride (especially on rougher road surfaces).

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Good points master 50. My point was based on size rather than paint. Your a big guy and I was thinking that would be the way to go.
I have a custom frame and it is superb, best bike I have ever rode.

Mrs 42x16ss is now on a fully custom Legend 5.7. She loves it so much she'd sleep with it if she could! Says it's the best bike she's ever ridden, I can't confirm- I'm not even allowed to touch it!!

This is after owning high end bikes from BMC, Specialized, Avanti, Bianchi and Quintana Roo. There's no gimmickry involved, just a traditional frame and superb workmanship.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
Good points master 50. My point was based on size rather than paint. Your a big guy and I was thinking that would be the way to go.
I have a custom frame and it is superb, best bike I have ever rode.
I know I am a little evangelistic with regard to Colnago but if you are talking taller than 6'2" you may want to look at Zinn. As a tall man he has a lot of specific experience with the challenges face by tall riders. I certainly don't want to imply a really great bike cannot be made by custom builders. Only that some builders have so much experience and control over the companies output that they can be trusted to deliver an outstanding production bike.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I have seen maybe 4 or 5 Colnagos in New England in 20+ years. Very hard to find. I did get a recommendation from a shop in Massachusetts for the Merckx Mourenx69 as a good endurance bike for larger riders.

Absolute top budget of $5K (US) w/o pedals. Slight preference for Ultegra DI2. Dura Ace not worth the extra $ for me at this point.

TRENDING THREADS