• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

New Site is horrible on iPhone

Jun 23, 2009
1
0
0
Visit site
I usually read cyclingnews twice a day on my iPhone, during my commute both to and from work. I have noticed since the launch of the new design that the page takes an incredibly long time to load, and navigating the page with the handheld is painful. I am sorry to say that I have given up trying to read the page during my commute, and am having cyclingnews withdrawal. Being a longtime reader, I am reluctant to go to other sources for me news fix, but I may be forced to defect soon. Please consider designing a page that is more user friendly for handheld devices. I never had any problems reading the page with the old design. :mad:
 
Slug Salt said:
I usually read cyclingnews twice a day on my iPhone, during my commute both to and from work. I have noticed since the launch of the new design that the page takes an incredibly long time to load, and navigating the page with the handheld is painful. I am sorry to say that I have given up trying to read the page during my commute, and am having cyclingnews withdrawal. Being a longtime reader, I am reluctant to go to other sources for me news fix, but I may be forced to defect soon. Please consider designing a page that is more user friendly for handheld devices. I never had any problems reading the page with the old design. :mad:
I agree. Necessary changes to the new back end are no excuse for making the front end unusable on mobile devices or simple browsers.

Just say no to Flash and generate good old basic html for everything.
 

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
138
1
8,835
Visit site
Slug Salt said:
I usually read cyclingnews twice a day on my iPhone, during my commute both to and from work. I have noticed since the launch of the new design that the page takes an incredibly long time to load, and navigating the page with the handheld is painful. I am sorry to say that I have given up trying to read the page during my commute, and am having cyclingnews withdrawal. Being a longtime reader, I am reluctant to go to other sources for me news fix, but I may be forced to defect soon. Please consider designing a page that is more user friendly for handheld devices. I never had any problems reading the page with the old design. :mad:

Are you on the new OS or the previous version? Does the http://www.cyclingnews/news page w/ out the flash look better? I know the devs have a mobile-friendly version on the list of requirements, but unfortunately it's not as urgent at the rest of the fixes. If the non-flash pages play better with your iphone, I suggest bookmarking them.

The live coverage pages should definitely be better.
 
laura.weislo said:
Are you on the new OS or the previous version? Does the http://www.cyclingnews/news page w/ out the flash look better? I know the devs have a mobile-friendly version on the list of requirements, but unfortunately it's not as urgent at the rest of the fixes. If the non-flash pages play better with your iphone, I suggest bookmarking them.

The live coverage pages should definitely be better.

A separate mobile-friendly version is not the solution. Flash is a problem not only for mobile users, but for anyone using an older/simpler browser.

Flash provides no useful functionality for any of your readers, and just bogs everything down, no matter what browser is used.

The simple and clean html-only interface is better all-around, not just for mobile users. Just say no to Flash.

If you're not going to provide cycling news in a professional way (and there is nothing professional about Flash - that's what kids and ad sites use, but not serious news sites like news.google.com, or sfgate.com), then it's only a matter of time before someone will, and that's where we will all go.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ninety5rpm said:
A separate mobile-friendly version is not the solution.

agreed,, the site does not work on opera (the most used mobile browser) iphone (the second) nokia (the third) or blackberry..

all are capable of rerendering normal webpages.. we do not need a special version we just need a flash lite, standards compliant CN..
 

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
138
1
8,835
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
A separate mobile-friendly version is not the solution. Flash is a problem not only for mobile users, but for anyone using an older/simpler browser.

Flash provides no useful functionality for any of your readers, and just bogs everything down, no matter what browser is used.

The simple and clean html-only interface is better all-around, not just for mobile users. Just say no to Flash.

If you're not going to provide cycling news in a professional way (and there is nothing professional about Flash - that's what kids and ad sites use, but not serious news sites like news.google.com, or sfgate.com), then it's only a matter of time before someone will, and that's where we will all go.

But what does it look like on the iPhone? I tried it out on my iTouch and it looks fine - the flash box just gives an Adobe button.
 
Jun 23, 2009
4
0
0
Visit site
New Site Does Not Work on Blackberry Either

There really needs to be a better mobile version because it is nearly impossible to look at race results on my Blackberry. The time it takes to scroll through everything is the most user-unfriendly format I have ever seen. Please fis this problem so that we can enjoy using your site!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
anubisza said:
Site looks great, like normal on my Android powered phone (HTC Magic)...

yeay.. shame android only account for about .0005% of mobile browsing.. :(
 
Jun 26, 2009
2
0
0
Visit site
Nearly worthless

The new web design is nearly worthless on the IPhone in my opinion. I don't need a web mobile watered down design just a little spatial organization like the old site had. VeloNews how are you doin?

John