• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Non-elite races World Championships Bergen 2017

The thread for the "other" races, the ones for the young talents and future star's performances here at the worlds. Obviously elite women and men's will have their own one so this can be the general one for all the others.

Today there were already two races, the men's u23 time trial and the women's junior time trial. The u23 race (longer than the men's) was so by Mikkel Bjerg, although some bigger TT names didn't compete (Kamna, Dunbar, Curran, Ganna; although only the first is really big). Bjerg came second in Herning already and 2nd at last year's worlds (junior), behind Mcnulty, who he beat today. The guy is 18. The French Ermenault rounded off the podium. In the women's, Italy got their annual one or two medals in the very first race! Meaning we can expect nothing from them for the next week or so. Pirrone beat Virgilia by 7 seconds, and Fasnacht (aussie) came third.

Tomorrow it's the junior men before the road races begin.

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Legit tears, must have fallen on some small rocks/gravel parts. No riding or even skirts for a while for the young lady, at least the winter is nearing.

So Kamna isn't ITTing at all? Sorry, PCS does not have a startlist and I'm too lazy to google it or lurk through the lineup thread.

Good to see McNulty's son make it out of Baltimore ;)

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Can someone explain why the UCI puts the U23 TT on Monday and the Junior TT on Tuesday? A rider like Lennard Kämna had to skip the U23 TT today because of the TTT on Sunday. No chance a U19 rider would ride the TTT. A day of rest on Monday and a couple of U23 riders could do both the TTT and the U23 ITT.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Watching the U23 race earlier today made me realise just how misleading the term hot seat can be. That (Kazakh?) guy who was sitting in the bronze seat at one point looked like he was freezing.

16 celcius, and the seats where not in the SUn .. Sun shines with 25 celcius atleast in the sun :D. NO moisture in the air up here in the North..

And that 17 year old Lauren Dolan from Britain has my respect, AND SHE IS A GIRL! With those cuts most would be crying and in shock.. Frank Sleck would have been in therapy before she got to the finish line.. ! SHe finished in the top 10!! Lol!.. What a girl!! Respect!!

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Groene Patraaf said:
Can someone explain why the UCI puts the U23 TT on Monday and the Junior TT on Tuesday? A rider like Lennard Kämna had to skip the U23 TT today because of the TTT on Sunday. No chance a U19 rider would ride the TTT. A day of rest on Monday and a couple of U23 riders could do both the TTT and the U23 ITT.

If you compete in a different class you are not eligble to compete in another class later in the same World Championships; simple.

Re: Re:

Monte said:
RedheadDane said:
Watching the U23 race earlier today made me realise just how misleading the term hot seat can be. That (Kazakh?) guy who was sitting in the bronze seat at one point looked like he was freezing.

16 celcius, and the seats where not in the SUn .. Sun shines with 25 celcius atleast in the sun :D. NO moisture in the air up here in the North..

And that 17 year old Lauren Dolan from Britain has my respect, AND SHE IS A GIRL! With those cuts most would be crying and in shock.. Frank Sleck would have been in therapy before she got to the finish line.. ! SHe finished in the top 10!! Lol!.. What a girl!! Respect!!

16 celcius is pretty nice.
Though... are you implying girls can't be tough? You wanna fight me about it? ;)

(I'm feeling squeamish just looking at that photo...)

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site

RedheadDane said:
Monte said:
RedheadDane said:

Though... are you implying girls can't be tough? You wanna fight me about it? ;)

Ohh they can be, its a reason im single again. But this cookie is special, look at those cuts!! :D

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site

And to another point I wanted to make, its crazy how much better Norway and DEnmark has gotten after the dope heads was cought!? Right? I mean we dominate (almost) U23 and Juniors these days ..

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Monte said:
Groene Patraaf said:

If you compete in a different class you are not eligble to compete in another class later in the same World Championships; simple.
It's not as simple as that, Kämna and Halvorsen are riding the U23 road race.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Groene Patraaf said:
Monte said:
Groene Patraaf said:

Yes cause they didnt accept Professional offers, and are still eligble for U23 .. THey race in not other than U23. There are many riders in the ELite Road Race that is under 23 , but they cant race in it cause they have pro WT licences.. Simple.

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Monte said:
Groene Patraaf said:
Monte said:
Groene Patraaf said:

Yes cause they didnt accept Professional offers, and are still eligble for U23 .. THey race in not other than U23. There are many riders in the ELite Road Race that is under 23 , but they cant race in it cause they have pro WT licences.. Simple.
Lennard Kämna is a WT pro rider.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
South Tyrol 1st and 2nd in the WJ ITT, pretty cool.
They ride for the Gs Mendelspeck, the only team from South Tyrol that actually tries to do something when it comes to road cyling and mainly focuses on ITTs and TTTs.

RedheadDane said:
Monte said:
RedheadDane said:

Lauren is tough. She is a former champion kick-boxer!! :surprised:

Something completely different (well, compared to the previous discussion I've been engaging in about girls being tough):

I feel pretty sorry for Uganda's Charles Kagimu. Imagine travelling all the way from Uganda to Norway, for what might be one of the biggest days in your career so far, and then not even being able to start.

Monte said:
Groene Patraaf said:

This rule only applies to ITT & RR, not to TTT.
In fact, it may not even apply to ITT-RR, but only to ITT-ITT & RR-RR: You're not allowed to enter both the elite and the U23 version in the same year, and once you've done the elite version, you're barred from the U23 version in the future (even if you'd still be eligible age-wise).

Men Elite
9.2.011 A National Federation may enter riders of 19 years of age or more in the individual Men Elite’s Road race. In that case, such riders may not participate in the individual Under 23s Road race in that same year.
Under 23s
9.2.012 The Management Committee shall decide the qualification system each year.
9.2.013 Under 23 riders who have participated in the Men Elite individual road race at a previous World Championships may not ride the individual road race for Under 23 riders.

Individual Time-Trial Road Races
9.2.017 The Management Committee shall decide the qualification system each year.
9.2.018 A National Federation shall be entitled to enter riders of 19 years or more in the individual Men Elite’s Time-Trial Road race.
9.2.019 Riders referred to on article 9.2.018 and who participate in the Individual Men Elite’s Time Trial Road Race may not participate in the Individual Under-23 Time Trial Road Race in the same year.
9.2.020 Under 23 riders who have participated in the Men Elite individual road time trial at a previous World Championships may not ride the individual road time trial for Under 23 riders.

Re:

Popchu said:
Curious to see what Pidcock can do in the Men Junior individual time trial.

Unlike in U23, where there are basically almost no itt's done, in junior class there a quite a lot of them on international level. Leknessund was the dominant rider in these. He is also the European Champion.

Andreas Leknessund 4
Juri Hollmann 1
Julius Johansen 1
Fernando Islas Lopez 1
Alexis Renard 1
Thomas Pidcock 1

With Daan Hoole and the women this could become a medal day for the Netherlands.

Max Rockatansky said:
Popchu said:
Curious to see what Pidcock can do in the Men Junior individual time trial.

Unlike in U23, where there are basically almost no itt's done, in junior class there a quite a lot of them on international level. Leknessund was the dominant rider in these. He is also the European Champion.

Andreas Leknessund 4
Juri Hollmann 1
Julius Johansen 1
Fernando Islas Lopez 1
Alexis Renard 1
Thomas Pidcock 1

With Daan Hoole and the women this could become a medal day for the Netherlands.

Johansen will give him very good competition and is my favourite. He didnt ride on the road at the start of the season as he was doing world cups and worlds on the track with the elite. On EC Leknessund did beat Johansen in the ITT though but Johansen said he wasnt in very good form there. Though the course does suit Pidcock best but I think he lacks a little bit of power to beat Johansen/Leknessund.

TRENDING THREADS