• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Now official: WADA and USADA refuse to Join UCI commission

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/anti-doping-agencies-refuse-to-join-uci-independent-commission

Cycling cannot afford to be seen to be so disunited at a time like this when watched by world media.

A stunning lack of diplomacy that the parties are not making enough concessions to get it going for the good of repairing the dreadful image of the sport. Cycling is rapidly disintegrating.

The only solution I can see is if the commission themselves refuse to even start until and unless agreement is reached between UCI and the agencies. Hoping Mcquaid will resign is just too far fetched given his resolute "not my fault" stance.

mountainrman said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/anti-doping-agencies-refuse-to-join-uci-independent-commission

Cycling cannot afford to be seen to be so disunited at a time like this when watched by world media.

A stunning lack of diplomacy that the parties are not making enough concessions to get it going. Cycling is rapidly disintegrating.

No, it's not. I'll say it again. WADA is the weak party in all of this. Hein has been acting as if WADA doesn't exist and no need to even entertain their minor demands. And now that is coming back to bite him.

Don't worry, the new format/schedule from the breakaway league proposal will be sold as the "moving on from the old doping ways" solution. Except it's more money split between fewer parties with the same UCI suppressing positives and everyone pretending they aren't doping.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mountainrman said:

A stunning lack of diplomacy that the parties are not making enough concessions to get it going for the good of repairing the dreadful image of the sport. Cycling is rapidly disintegrating.

The only solution I can see is if the commission refuse to even start until and unless agreement is reached with the agencies. Hoping Mcquaid will resign is just too far fetched given his resolute "not my fault" stance.

Dude, whatever you're smoking I hope it's green and leafy and not some kind of white powder--but whatever it is, it's clearly time for you to put down the pipe for a while.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
No, it's not. I'll say it again. WADA is the weak party in all of this. Hein has been acting as if WADA doesn't exist and no need to even entertain their minor demands. And now that is coming back to bite him.

Don't worry, the new format/schedule from the breakaway league proposal will be sold as the "moving on from the old doping ways" solution. Except it's more money split between fewer parties with the same UCI suppressing positives and everyone pretending they aren't doping.

But what is the real answer?
A commission that reports without WADA will be seen as a rubber stamp.

Until and unless that conmission is seen to have performed - And recommendations acted on and adopted - and so UCI cleaned up - I cannot believe that such as Rabobank or similar sponsors will ever return, or cycling can ever regain credibility.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
mountainrman said:

As long as the head of USADA publicly accuses the UCI of corruption, they cannot be seen to join such a UCI whitewash.

This is not a sign of cycling disintegrating. This is WADA and USADA putting pressure on the UCI to clean up their act, or if the UCI bosses are unwilling to move over, for cycling to choose a new governing body.

When Transparency International agreed to cooperate with Sepp Blatter's Fifa "anti corruption panel", it backfired and damaged TI's reputation (they withdrew in 2011). I am glad WADA and USADA don't appear to make the same mistake in this case.

mountainrman said:

The only solution I can see is if the commission themselves refuse to even start until and unless agreement is reached between UCI and the agencies. Hoping Mcquaid will resign is just too far fetched given his resolute "not my fault" stance.

Thanks for starting the thread, but get a life. You should be happy. This foolish errand was limited in scope to the Armstrong case alone.

This announcement comes as absolutely no surprise and is fully justified.

Everything about and associated with this enquiry was knee-jerk. Phat couldn't even figure out what to call the doping hotline, for example. It is now a helpline. But, they don't know what to do if anyone actually uses it.

There are active lawsuits, initiated by the UCI, that are a clear attempt to muzzle reporters and those with inside knowledge.

How would it be possible for those being sued by the UCI, or involved in a counter-suit, to come forward and report to this enquiry commission?

Not possible.

Major conflict of interest.

Yet another fraud perpetrated by Nein and Phat.

Dave.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I think that whats needed is a true independent authority review - Could CAS be contracted to do a full audit of UCI operations? There is just no way for UCI to self police, and cycle racing is not going to survive in any form that is recognizable without some way for sponsors and fans to feel like there is fair competition. Right now, event fixing is not far behind in professional cycling. Or perhaps a split between full competition amateur racing and professional racing, ala wrestling?

Edit Just wanted to add, is even if McQuaid were removed, is there anyway you would ever trust UCI again?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
mountainrman said:

If the UCI "commission" included Syvia Schenk and Michael Ashenden then it would have a prayer of ferreting out the...ferrets. Otherwise it's time to burn it to the ground.
The riders are the game, or could be. They don't need to spend as much time procurring products for performance so they can invest some effort in starting over. We might miss a few races but the Olympics is a minor loss.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Oldman said:
If the UCI "commission" included Syvia Schenk and Michael Ashenden then it would have a prayer of ferreting out the...ferrets. Otherwise it's time to burn it to the ground.

I would hope and think that both of them would also refuse to be part of the commission, though might be happy to give their thoughts to the commissions inquiries.

Given the terms of reference, the outcome is already known by McQuaid.

It will go something like:

"Prior to 2006 things could have been done better, possibly even with mild criticism of Verbruggen. After 2006, the UCI was doing everything it could."

Both Schenk and Ashenden are switched on enough to stay away from being part of the farce.

mountainrman said:
But what is the real answer?
A commission that reports without WADA will be seen as a rubber stamp.

Exactly. Repeat approved UCI PR line #2 and 3 until it sounds true. Cleanest peloton ever. It happened so long ago, no reason to dwell on the past.
mountainrman said:
Until and unless that conmission is seen to have performed - And recommendations acted on and adopted - and so UCI cleaned up - I cannot believe that such as Rabobank or similar sponsors will ever return, or cycling can ever regain credibility.

But, whatever is left is okay. They had a good olympics. Women's cycling is proof positive they have no shortage of riders willing to work for nothing. Pat and hein are getting paid and that's what matters.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope the commissioners will withdraw until there is agreement. I cannot think that an outspoken sports advocate and lover such as Dame Tanni will want to be associated with the whiff of a stitch up or cover up.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If Lance spills the beans on the UCI tomorrow night then there's really no point in USADA, WADA or CCN getting involved beforehand with this highly suspect UCI "Independent Commission".

If and when he does the deed, then is the time for them to help put the nails in the coffins at last.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Morbius said:
So now the UCI's own commission have said they want truth and reconciliation, and WADA to be involved.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ind...-to-agree-to-truth-and-reconciliation-process
At least this shows that the three commissioners are independent of UCI

In other words, now even the UCIIC is refusing to cooperate with the UCIIC!!

For those of us who have some knowledge of the commissioners, (and were mocked for it, if you recall), this is no great surprise - TGT, for example, was never going to roll over for the UCI - she worked too damn hard to to get to her position of respect and influence to give it away for the UCI - she knows a hospital pass (rugby reference) when she sees it...

This could all unravel very quickly depending on what LA says to oprah....

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
What a f'ucking neverending freak show.

Yeah.

howsteepisit said:
I think that whats needed is a true independent authority review - Could CAS be contracted to do a full audit of UCI operations? There is just no way for UCI to self police, and cycle racing is not going to survive in any form that is recognizable without some way for sponsors and fans to feel like there is fair competition. Right now, event fixing is not far behind in professional cycling. Or perhaps a split between full competition amateur racing and professional racing, ala wrestling?

Edit Just wanted to add, is even if McQuaid were removed, is there anyway you would ever trust UCI again?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/analysis/opinion-we-deserve-better-than-the-ucis-foolish-omerta_271618

It has become apparent, to me, that the nay-sayers, those nabobs of clinic negativity, had their crystal balls tuned to the right channel this time. It has become apparent that the UCI never meant the "independent" commission to be independent.

Morbius said:
So now the UCI's own commission have said they want truth and reconciliation, and WADA to be involved.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ind...-to-agree-to-truth-and-reconciliation-process
At least this shows that the three commissioners are independent of UCI

mountainrman said:
Great stuff.
Dame Tanni is nobodies fool.

I hope that the commissioners hold sway in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMVsnxcuDWE

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
CCN issues press release and joins WADA and USADA in non-cooperation with UCIIC.

http://www.changecyclingnow.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CCN_PRESS_RELEASE_160113.pdf

Cheers for the link Carol, makes interesting reading. IMO the only appropriate action the "independent" commissioners could take would be the threat of their withdrawal from this farcical process. They shouldn't be on their knees asking the UCI to agree to anything, it's the UCI they're supposed to be investigating and they should have total control of their own remit. Their weak and compromised position is only helping to bolster P&H.

Fingers crossed for something useful from Oprah, but I'm not holding my breath there either.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I bet the UCIIC are getting stonewalled by UCI or being fed rubbish.

Did they recently buy some industriall sized shredders I wonder!

Grandillusion said:
Cheers for the link Carol, makes interesting reading. IMO the only appropriate action the "independent" commissioners could take would be the threat of their withdrawal from this farcical process. They shouldn't be on their knees asking the UCI to agree to anything, it's the UCI they're supposed to be investigating and they should have total control of their own remit. Their weak and compromised position is only helping to bolster P&H.

Fingers crossed for something useful from Oprah, but I'm not holding my breath there either.

My hope is that the Commissioners disband, citing inability to attain independence. Probably wishful thinking....