• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He is at 9 wins. You can't count the end classifications because then there is no point in putting in race days. And you may call them big wins but 2 stages in the UAE tour and 2 in tour of Slovenia are not really mindblowing...Yes he won the Strade, but Van Aert won the Omloop.

He is at 9 wins. You can't count the end classifications because then there is no point in putting in race days. And you may call them big wins but 2 stages in the UAE tour and 2 in tour of Slovenia are not really mindblowing...Yes he won the Strade, but Van Aert won the Omloop.
Stage races are all about the GC win, of course it counts when you win the race in question. It'd make more sense not to count stages.

Reactions: Fuente De
So we are starting semantics now. Than we have a 120% victory rate. I don't know the difference between a victory and a win but I'm sure you can explain that to me.
I never mentioned victory rate. The distinction I made was not about wins and victories, but about stage wins and race wins. A one-day race is one race. A stage-race is one race. Yet during a stage-race you can also win stages, but that doesn't in itself make you a race winner.

Reactions: KZD
Appearantly Van Aert is mad at Eekhoff for taking the sprint. So selfish.

In the post-race interview he just said it was "unfortunate" that Eekhoff surprised him like that and that he would have preferred if Eekhof said "let's sprint for it" rather than go for such a cheap shot but he didn't seem to care all that much nor did he seem mad. It was a pretty weird move that will not help his popularity in the peloton.

It’s a competition. You can’t expect the sprint to be handed to him. Always be ready for a fight.
It’s like how GC riders won’t contest KOM points if with a rider that is going for KOM, or if they’re about to be in leaders jersey or gaining time the other rider gets the win. Eekhoff had no teammate to protect for points and let WVA do all of the work. Anyone would have been upset in that situation.

It’s a competition. You can’t expect the sprint to be handed to him. Always be ready for a fight.

There is also prize money at those sprints right?

I would assume each team shares among themselves the prize money after the race is over, so that could be an incentive to other riders/teams getting involved. Especially in a break and you know you are gonna get dropped when you reach the first climb. Might as well go for the sprint.

If he is mad at Eekhoff for that, jesus, what a drama queen. Green is over since week one, if he's in the break to win intermediate sprints, I'm not gonna even pronounce about that. Focus on winning stages if he's working for himself, or focus on team's goals with Vingo.

Who the hell cares about the 1st rider to pass the intermediate sprint in Baguette-sur-Seine on stage 942 to Brie-en-Croissant, ffs.

I'm sure he won't. Eekhoff sort of broke an unwritten rule of breakaways I suppose, but I doubt anyone considers it a big deal

I thought the unwritten 'rule' also involved the rider taking the points doing some of the work beforehand? WvA just sat at the back & then moved to the front to casually scoop-up the money I mean points.

In any case seeing the ensuing 'almost a shoulder barge' was some peak entertainment in an otherwise boring moment in the stage, so kudos to WvA & Eekhoff for that.

‘Sad’ – Wout van Aert hits out at Nils Eekhoff for 'joke' points move on Stage 16 of the Tour de France - Eurosport

"Everyone has the right to sprint," Van Aert said after the finish about the bizarre moment.
"I did tell Nils that I would have appreciated it if he had said beforehand that he wanted to sprint. Then we could really do that.
"He threw his wheel [ahead of me] and I thought that was a bit sad. I think they want to spice up the cash register at DSM,"

Gaudu showed the way in the Dauphiné, i.e. why ask WvA for permission? Just sneak up behind & throw your bike in front of WvA's bike = win. If WvA doesn't like it, he could always celebrate second on the line to make himself feel better.

In the post-race interview he just said it was "unfortunate" that Eekhoff surprised him like that and that he would have preferred if Eekhof said "let's sprint for it" rather than go for such a cheap shot but he didn't seem to care all that much nor did he seem mad. It was a pretty weird move that will not help his popularity in the peloton.
Who in a breakaway and in their right mind would challenge Wout to a two up sprint :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt and spalco

TRENDING THREADS