• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In all seriousness, isn't there an unwritten rule that says you can't try to do such things on the last champagne-stage of the Tour?
I mean, I was always wondering if it's possible to lose/win TdF in the Champs-Élysées stage. :smiley:

I think Cadel Evans once sprinted to get some bonus seconds & also attempted to win the Tour on the last day (I can't remember which Tour it was). So that unwritten rule can be broken.

I don't expect it tomorrow (obviously considering the gap), but looking at how the peloton behaves these days (especially in sprints), I'd bet if the yellow jersey fight was closer we'd see some craziness. So yeah, for example if there was a mechanical problem for the yellow jersey & his closest rival was within a minute, watch out.

I think Cadel Evans once sprinted to get some bonus seconds & also attempted to win the Tour on the last day (I can't remember which Tour it was). So that unwritten rule can be broken.

I don't expect it tomorrow (obviously considering the gap), but looking at how the peloton behaves these days (especially in sprints), I'd bet if the yellow jersey fight was closer we'd see some craziness. So yeah, for example if there was a mechanical problem for the yellow jersey & his closest rival was within a minute, watch out.
I've just checked and it seems you are right. In '08 Tour, Evans gained 7s to Sastre in the last stage and eventually finished 58s behind him.

Anyway, I can't see it happen in case of a mechanical problem.. I still have some faith in the modern peleton, that in such a situation, they'd wait for the yellow. Even with the possible crosswinds, I'm not 100% conviced anyone would try sth like that, after already having a champagne (although the Evans' case says different). I mean, I've never seen it before and this last stage is always really bizarre for me in terms of possible changes in GC. :D

Reactions: Sandisfan
In all seriousness, isn't there an unwritten rule that says you can't try to do such things on the last champagne-stage of the Tour?
I mean, I was always wondering if it's possible to lose/win TdF in the Champs-Élysées stage. :smiley:

in 1979, Hinault and Zoetemelk (1 and 2 in GC) found themselves ahead after a few hills...simply pursued their attack and finished alone/together on the Champs.

Guess who won the sprint...? ;-)

Rhetorical, rhetorical...

how fitting that the belgian national champ stops merckx's record from being beaten!

what an amazing time in cycling that we may enjoy these incredible riders...
Wout and Jasper both did it out of respect! Lol

Valverde vs Wout in Tokyo, cannot wait. Also, is there any route where Wout wouldn't be the favourite (or at least on of the favourites) in a long and hard one day race in this shape? Dont think so.