• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stacks up on the road? 2 RVV's, SB, Amstel Gold, BBank GC, Britain GC, Yellow jersey, Pink jersey, etc. Not bad for a guy who has basically only dabbled on the road. And of course he singlehandedly blows up pretty much every race he enters. Meanwhile JV is just the latest version of Sky, DQS or whatever super team you want to name - boring. Haven't looked at the TDF route, but I'll put big money on MVDP vs. WVA on any hard classics/roller type stage and/or any stage that is hard enough to come down to a mano y mano bunch sprint.
Nice trolling

Stacks up on the road? 2 RVV's, SB, Amstel Gold, BBank GC, Britain GC, Yellow jersey, Pink jersey, etc. Not bad for a guy who has basically only dabbled on the road. And of course he singlehandedly blows up pretty much every race he enters. Meanwhile JV is just the latest version of Sky, DQS or whatever super team you want to name - boring. Haven't looked at the TDF route, but I'll put big money on MVDP vs. WVA on any hard classics/roller type stage and/or any stage that is hard enough to come down to a mano y mano bunch sprint.

Here's a question: which of them would you want to build a team around?

I'm actually not sure. I prefer to watch VDP race, but having WvA is like getting 3 or 4 different types of riders, each world class in their specialty.

Reactions: Sandisfan
H2H is difficult to compare at the moment but the UCI an PCS rankings show a big difference between the two since 2020. While MvdP positions himself between 5 and 10, WVA is 2 or 3, battling with the Slovenians (and Remco since this year). This is of course because WVA is competitive almost everywhere while MvdP choses his battles on the terrain that suits him and fails more often when he does try it elsewhere as we have seen during last Giro.
And yet MvDP is the real people’s hero…

And yet MvDP is the real people’s hero…
Well, he is perhaps the most spectacular rider to watch in modern times. Along with perhaps Contador and Pog. Although Bettini, Boonen, Cancellara, Gilbert, Froome, Alaphillipe and Van Aert all were/are great riders, I can't really see anyone doing the crazy attacks and having that extreme bike handling skills and attacking punch that VdP has. The two coming closest have to be Contador and Pogacar.

Still, I would possibly prefer Van Aert if I were a sporting director. He is more versatile and seem more dedicated to road racing than Van der Poel (although this is perhaps on the verge of changing if VdP is dropping is MTB racing). In the end I would bet that VdP ends up with more monument wins, but Van Aert will have more one day races and more victories in total.

Congrats for winning green at Dauphiné. As for van Aert vs. van der Poel. Rest assured we will be able to watch that at Tour the France opening classics week. And the way van Aert typically rides a GT race and on how van der Poel approached the Giro. Who knows as maybe they will end up fighting for green.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Here's a question: which of them would you want to build a team around?

I'm actually not sure. I prefer to watch VDP race, but having WvA is like getting 3 or 4 different types of riders, each world class in their specialty.
Depends on what kind of team. Wout is definitely a perfect fit for JV and their goals - can't imagine MVDP being interested in pacing GC guys up mountains. Wout's range on the road is phenomenal, and there is probably no more valuable teammate for a lesser talented, scrawny GC contender (no wonder Chris Horner loves Wout) than Wout.

Reactions: stonerider
Both guys were kicking ass long before their talent kind've forced them to the Road WT. Wout has kind've gone Royal Navy whereas MVDP has gone the pirate route. Check out MVDP's "training" today on strava. Riding around on his MTB.
The fact that MVDP is riding around on his MTB tells me his back is "better". Last year they blamed his back problems on him switching from the fit of his Road bike to the MTB, which I find hard to believe. I have all my bikes, Road, Gravel, and MTB set up the same (saddle, saddle height, crank length). Switching bikes should not cause back issues unless they did a piss poor job on bike fit.

The fact that MVDP is riding around on his MTB tells me his back is "better". Last year they blamed his back problems on him switching from the fit of his Road bike to the MTB, which I find hard to believe. I have all my bikes, Road, Gravel, and MTB set up the same (saddle, saddle height, crank length). Switching bikes should not cause back issues unless they did a piss poor job on bike fit.
Switching racing disciplines all year long without effectively taking an off season and working on recovery would definitely exacerbate a disc issue. So if you are suffering from a disc injury or predisposed to having one, which obviously applies to van see Poel, then more care is needed.

Good for you Stonerider. I switch between all three bikes myself quite a bit with no problems. I have 3 different saddles and don't even really worry about setting them up consistently other than saddle to pedal. Of course I'm a 56 yr old hack - pretty much a different species than MVDP or any other pro rider - and do maybe 1/3 of their volume at best.

Good for you Stonerider. I switch between all three bikes myself quite a bit with no problems. I have 3 different saddles and don't even really worry about setting them up consistently other than saddle to pedal. Of course I'm a 56 yr old hack - pretty much a different species than MVDP or any other pro rider - and do maybe 1/3 of their volume at best.
But i guess you could take Wout, right?

Selfish Van Aert wants dedicated green jersey support, which will take support away from Rog and Vingegaard. Yellow >> green

He needs to be used on donkey duty, like he was on the final 2 days of the Dauphine
If I remember correctly it was him answering questions that were put to him at the end of the stage and talking about certain riders who could fulfill multiple roles. In other words, I don't think he was actually trying to make a case for a team to be built around him or addressing team politics.

TRENDING THREADS