• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Jungels can win Liège, in his current form he can too. Lombardia? Doubt it, unless circumstances really play in his favor.
Realistically, in the current format he just has to survive Sormano with a decent number of team leaders to chase down whoever’s off the front. At that point, he’s well able to survive the last couple of obstacles.

And Lombardia being Lombardia, the route will undergo more changes over the remaining 7-10 years of Wout’s career; I would absolutely pick him as a favorite to win on, say, the 2014 course where Dan Martin won from a group of 8 or 9 leaders.

I liked the “new” Liege route last year, I think it might play out well for a strongman like VanAert.

On the other hand, having said all I just did above, Sagan by comparison is 30 now, may never win MSR, and has never kicked on to be the Jalabert/Kelly-type all-rounder that many of us thought he might, especially after his California win, when he was 25, the age VanAert is now.
If I recall correctly Sagan won an easier edition of the Tour of California.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Also to never position himself on a team where he has to give up personal ambitions for team leaders like Wout will do this Tour.

And yes that is a quality.
I think working for Contador was part of Sagan’s job description at the 2015(?) Tour? He was sent up the road in the break, and as a result was with the leaders (in the Alps?) when Alberto had to go and crash on a descent.

I think working for Contador was part of Sagan’s job description at the 2015(?) Tour? He was sent up the road in the break, and as a result was with the leaders (in the Alps?) when Alberto had to go and crash on a descent.

True, but apart from the cobbled stage (where he finished 4th), he was still allowed to chase stage wins and the green jersey. Van Aert isn't even allowed to sprint in the upcoming Tour.

• Wow
If I recall correctly, Sagan also won a freaking mountainstage to Grindelwald in the Tour de Suisse. Descending like a madman.

Yes, he also won the notorious 2013 stage in Tirreno with the rain and the very steep Muritos, the day where Froome crumbled and Nibali won the race. Somehow, Sagan followed Nibali and Purito on the climbs, then easily beat them in the sprint. I guess gravity didn't work that day either.

TRENDING THREADS