• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sour grape that Nuyens guy.
I really hope he doesn't have to miss the spring classics because of this.

I'm not a fan of Nuyens and the whole shitshow this case has become but the Court eventually did rule that Van Aert has committed breach of contract which I think should result in disciplinary measures if the UCI follow their own rules.

I do hope as well this won't have any impact sporting wise for Van Aert.

I'm not a fan of Nuyens and the whole shitshow this case has become but the Court eventually did rule that Van Aert has committed breach of contract which I think should result in disciplinary measures if the UCI follow their own rules.

I do hope as well this won't have any impact sporting wise for Van Aert.

Meh.
If (and this a big if) he does get convicted. WVA will have to compensate Nick Nuyens for his losses. The exact compensation will be calculated by an expert appointed by the court. This is for the courts to decide and both WVA and Nuyens must abide by the verdict.

Nuyens now asking UCI for WVA to get supsended, that's being a sour grape. And the timing is to perfect:
  • right before his CX season start
  • if UCI was to suspend him, it's pretty possible that either the spring classics or the TDF could be part of the period of suspension

Reactions: rokovski
Nick Nuyens and his lawyer have asked the UCI to take disciplinary measures against Van Aert, his team Jumbo-Visma and his manager Jef Van den Bosch because Van Aert was sentenced to a heavy fine for breach of contract by the Belgian Courts.

Nuyens has asked the UCI for sanctions based on their disciplinary rules in a letter on the 13th of August but so far they haven't gotten any reaction.

They asked for the following measures:

• A fine of 300 up to 100.000 Swiss Francs and a suspension of one to four months for Van Aert.
  • A fine of 30.000 up to 500.000 Swiss Francs multiplied by 3 and a compensation of 662.404,31 EUR up to 1.090.000 EUR for the team Jumbo-Visma.
  • A fine of 10.000 Swiss Francs and the revoking of his licence for Jef Van den Bosch.
What a cry baby.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This week part II of the documentary about Wout was on Belgian TV, with the entire Tour de France saga.

The best part was video from the team car, as Wout is about to win the double Ventoux stage. At the moment Vingegaard drops Pogacar, Zeeman and Maassen are in the teamcar.

Maassen: "Should we have Wout wait for Jonas?"

* silence *

Zeeman and Maassen: Hahahahahahaha!

This week part II of the documentary about Wout was on Belgian TV, with the entire Tour de France saga.

The best part was video from the team car, as Wout is about to win the double Ventoux stage. At the moment Vingegaard drops Pogacar, Zeeman and Maassen are in the teamcar.

Maassen: "Should we have Wout wait for Jonas?"

* silence *

Zeeman and Maassen: Hahahahahahaha!

That was just about the only nail-biter of a tactical decision in the whole Tour, to be fair. I would have loved seeing Wout dragging Vingegaard to the line only to be outsprinted by Pogacar...and hand the win to Elissonde/Mollema...

• Wow
Wout does his first cyclocross of 2021/22 next Saturday. Will this be shown on TV/livestream?

Thanks in advance! :)
About 95% of crosses are broadcast on Belgian TV, so chances are there will also be at least a stream somewhere for most any cross.

Saturday is a Superprestige cross, so definitely on Belgian TV, but i'm not sure if it will be on Eurosport or other channels.

EDIT: It appears it will be on Eurosport and Eurosport player: https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/wielrennen-op-tv/
PS: don't expect him to win immediately.

Last edited:
Did he look crazy good or is it just cause MVP isn't racing yet?
lol, on another course you could have argued that maybe MvdP isn't racing yet, but today Van Aert was flying on a real dirt track with lots of running and lots of mud, which is where he has always been superb. Only a top form Van der Poel might have beaten him today. The only time last year it was this muddy, Van der Poel got knocked a few minutes back.

lol, on another course you could have argued that maybe MvdP isn't racing yet, but today Van Aert was flying on a real dirt track with lots of running and lots of mud, which is where he has always been superb. Only a top form Van der Poel might have beaten him today. The only time last year it was this muddy, Van der Poel got knocked a few minutes back.

Aren't you forgetting Paris-Roubaix? ;)

Nah, I agree, it was a massive performance to win by so much in his first race back, even if the conditions favoured him.

Just crazy: someone like Iserbyt lives for Cyclocross all year, has been in top shape over the last weeks, wins Worldcups, and then comes Wout (who has a few weeks of basic endurance training in his legs) - and Iserbyt does not have the slightest chance.

Iserbyt (and similar riders) do some road racing in spring and summer, and - at best - are able to get results in 1.2 and 2.2 races. Their focus is really only cyclocross - nevertheless, they have absolutely no chance against Wout, who today certainly did some of his first fast kilometers of the new season, who is months from top shape, and who is clearly heavier than he will be at Strade Bianche.

Just crazy: someone like Iserbyt lives for Cyclocross all year, has been in top shape over the last weeks, wins Worldcups, and then comes Wout (who has a few weeks of basic endurance training in his legs) - and Iserbyt does not have the slightest chance.

Iserbyt (and similar riders) do some road racing in spring and summer, and - at best - are able to get results in 1.2 and 2.2 races. Their focus is really only cyclocross - nevertheless, they have absolutely no chance against Wout, who today certainly did some of his first fast kilometers of the new season, who is months from top shape, and who is clearly heavier than he will be at Strade Bianche.
Like i said in the CX thread, the other guys are now nearing the end of their first block. Their level is declining and they will take some rest and go on training camp somewhere in the next few weeks to get ready for the second block of the season. And this track + weather really suited Wout.

TRENDING THREADS