• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Saw him beef it in a recent cyclocross race..not that hard, but hard enough to dig the pedal and chaining into his cheek, tore his shorts, got up and still destroyed the field..his in the saddle power is extraordinary..the guy is really a monster..if he says he wants a green jersey or is peaking for a classic, I would be scared. I love watching him race, I think his body type and size, horsepower from his motor are awesome..Tom Boonen who?

I know it's make believe but I wonder what Tony Martin's career would have looked like if the two would have been teammates of a similar age..both great racers w incredible power and speed..I have never read anything about what teammates took away from Martin's TT expertise but I am sure it was helpful

Reactions: Sandisfan
Barring accidents or illness, MvdP doesn't stand a chance against Wout going for the green jersey at the TdF. After the 1st week MvdP will be battling fatigue while Wout will hold his form.
I don't think fatigue will be the issue (and also don't understand where this narrative comes from). Positioning in real bunch sprint and Philipsen or Merlier participating are way more likely reasons for him to not be close in the points classification.

I don't think fatigue will be the issue (and also don't understand where this narrative comes from). Positioning in real bunch sprint and Philipsen or Merlier participating are way more likely reasons for him to not be close in the points classification.
MvdP has never done a 3 week stage race...and anytime he's gone hard in a ONE week race his form has decreased the weeks after. It's easy to see he can't hold a candle to Wout in a 3 week race.

MvdP has never done a 3 week stage race...and anytime he's gone hard in a ONE week race his form has decreased the weeks after. It's easy to see he can't hold a candle to Wout in a 3 week race.
This year he wasn't worse than van Aert after TA. Last year he was excellent after going full in the Benelux Tour. Those were pretty much the only 2 times he raced shortly after riding a high level 1 week race. How is it easy to see if he has never done a full GT?

This year he wasn't worse than van Aert after TA. Last year he was excellent after going full in the Benelux Tour. Those were pretty much the only 2 times he raced shortly after riding a high level 1 week race. How is it easy to see if he has never done a full GT?
Van Aert went all out in the Tireno, every day. Van der Poel didn't, so you can't really use that argument. If he wants to commit to green, he needs to commit fully and score points on a daily basis. So, that in fact is still an unknown for him, not for Van Aert, who has shown in the previous years that he can perform throughout 3 weeks. That doesn't mean Van der Poel can't do it, just that there is no proof of it yet. I don't really question his physical ability, but i do wonder if he can keep it up mentally (as in, not get bored, pull some less smart stunts, lose focus etc...).

Van Aert went all out in the Tireno, every day. Van der Poel didn't, so you can't really use that argument. If he wants to commit to green, he needs to commit fully and score points on a daily basis. So, that in fact is still an unknown for him, not for Van Aert, who has shown in the previous years that he can perform throughout 3 weeks. That doesn't mean Van der Poel can't do it, just that there is no proof of it yet. I don't really question his physical ability, but i do wonder if he can keep it up mentally (as in, not get bored, pull some less smart stunts, lose focus etc...).
Haven't studied the parcours for green but my first instinct just goes "wait surely Alpecin isn't gonna go for Van der Poel in the flat bunch sprints?"

Five months after the heat of double Ventoux, Wout today won in the snow. Wonderful race. Only one who was missing was MVDP, of course.

Next weekend Mathieu joins his fellow crossers. Start of four months WVA vs MVDP vs Pidcock - from next weekend until Amstel and Roubaix. These three top guys against each other, racing 1-2x/week. Can‘t wait…

Fingers crossed that they all stay healthy and uninjured, of course.

Five months after the heat of double Ventoux, Wout today won in the snow. Wonderful race. Only one who was missing was MVDP, of course.

Next weekend Mathieu joins his fellow crossers. Start of four months WVA vs MVDP vs Pidcock - from next weekend until Amstel and Roubaix. These three top guys against each other, racing 1-2x/week. Can‘t wait…

All riders of Baloise Trek Lions were also missing, but it's not like it would have changed a lot.

Wout will not be there next week...he'll be at a Jumbo Vismo team camp in Spain. He drops into CX, gets 3 straight wins and some intensity, then jets off to Spain for a week of sun and base miles. He'll be back for the Christmas CX races.

I wonder when that man ever sees his family :eek: Like when is he ever having a day off? He's always everywhere :flushed::grinning::eek:

If I'm not mistaking Lotto Jumbo NL allows wives and kids to accompany their riders on training camps. But yes. This guy hardly ever does nothing. Even when on vacation with his family he goes om 8k runs every mornings just for the fun of it.

Last edited:

I'm not positive that they'll go head to head all that many times. The WC should be great assuming they all make it to Fayetteville.

Wout is looking monstrously strong right now but it's just so hard to gauge the level of everyone else. Pidcock seems to be rounding into form and when he's on should give as good as he gets...

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS