• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've watched a fair amount of cyclocross the past 2 seasons, and I haven't seen teamwork play any significant role at all in men's or women's races. Seems like it would have to be very particular circumstances where it would make a difference. Is there something I'm missing?
It just happened in the U23 Belgian national championship. Verstrynge let Michels do all the work in the front, because Wyseure, a teammate of Verstrynge, was chasing them. In the end Verstrynge took over and won. Often the strongest rider wins in cyclocross, but occasionally there is some teamwork involved, just not to the extent that happens on the road.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
It just happened in the U23 Belgian national championship. Verstrynge let Michels do all the work in the front, because Wyseure, a teammate of Verstrynge, was chasing them. In the end Verstrynge took over and won. Often the strongest rider wins in cyclocross, but occasionally there is some teamwork involved, just not to the extent that happens on the road.
I’m not suggesting it never happens, but in elite men, Van Aert, Pidcock, , and (practically) MvDP all rode their races without teammates. If one or more of them are in a race and riding well, team work is moot.

I’m not suggesting it never happens, but in elite men, Van Aert, Pidcock, , and (practically) MvDP all rode their races without teammates. If one or more of them are in a race and riding well, team work is moot.
That's true. Van Aert and van der Poel are so much better than the others, that teams don't really matter anymore. In the early season races, when they are not yet present, it can matter more.

I've watched a fair amount of cyclocross the past 2 seasons, and I haven't seen teamwork play any significant role at all in men's or women's races. Seems like it would have to be very particular circumstances where it would make a difference. Is there something I'm missing?
I would say yes, you're missing a few decades of cyclocross worldchampionships lol.

It doesn't matter much when one or two riders are so superior and dominant that it renders whatever the others do completely inconsequential. However, Pidcock isn't that superior nor dominant, or at least, hasn't been yet. When he beats his rivals (which he doesn't do every time for starters) he wins with small margins. That's when teamwork most definitely can play a big role. And definitely in a WCC.

Also don't underestimate what this "once in a lifetime" opportunity will do for guys like Aerts, Vanthourenhout, Van der Haar etc. This is their only chance ever to get that title. This is why i'm inclined to think sponsor teams will play a bigger role this time, than national teams. I don't think Vanthourenhout will empty himself for Aerts, but he might for Iserbyt. Same with Aerts and Van der Haar. I can't see Aerts working for Iserbyt, but he might for Van der haar. Van Kessel will probably be a non factor, so if Van der Haar isn't feeling super, he might do Aerts a few favors (close some gaps, block other riders).

In 2000 Nys (BE) refused to ride after Groenendael (NL) because they were teammates (Rabobank). That left Declerq (BE) to do all the work on his own, so Groenendael became worldchampion.
In 2009, the Belgians swamped Lars Boom who was the big favorite to extend his title, early on. Making Boom fight for position at every turn, and keeping him from getting into his rhythm. By the time he was able to start chasing, Albert was flying towards his first worldtitle.
In 2001, Declerq pushes his bike just a tiny bit too wide on the stairs, just enough to stall Dlask from getting into Vervecken's wheel. This was a few hundred meters before the finish. Dlask never caught Vervecken.

Seriously, before the Van der Poel / Van Aert worldchamps, it has been like this almost every year.

I'd put Pidcock at 80% and then the field at 20%. Really no reason to even have the WC's here in the US. I doubt even 1% of Americans know who MVDP or WVA are, let alone Piddy and the rest of the field.
Why not, I keep hearing about this great US cross scene, potential medallist in the womens race and quite a number regularly riding in Europe.
If cross is ever to make the Winter Olympics top races outside Europe are a must.

Considering we can't have the race 100 times to see how many times Pidcock would win, it's a bit stupid to discuss it, but objectively speaking there is no way Pidcock has an 80% chance to win, not even close. He will not have help of any other countryman, he will not have help of any teammate. He has none. While there will be a big Belgian squad, and even if team interests play a bigger role, then you still have Aerts + Van der Haar who will work together, and Iserbyt and Vanthourenhout who will work together with possibly Sweeck. Then there is Hermans and Van Kessel, though i assume they will not really play a big role unless Hermans goes on an early rampage and everybody stays in Pidcock's wheel waiting for him to close the gap. Pidcock did win a few times lately, but not that dominantly in the slightest to claim he has an 80% chance at victory.
I'd say if Turner can ride like he did in Baal then Pidcock has got a chance of having a teammate possibly towards the front. Both Ben Turner and Thomas Mein are good riders, but they are inconsistent even when they are not sick or slightly injured, so realistically I think the chance that those two are at the front is low despite Mein's performance at the WC in the same location. And even if the belgian tactics capitulate due to disagreements between the likes of Iserbyt and Sweeck or the Pauwels and Baloise teams, I still think Pidcock's chances of winning are low.

I'd say if Turner can ride like he did in Baal then Pidcock has got a chance of having a teammate possibly towards the front. Both Ben Turner and Thomas Mein are good riders, but they are inconsistent even when they are not sick or slightly injured, so realistically I think the chance that those two are at the front is low despite Mein's performance at the WC in the same location. And even if the belgian tactics capitulate due to disagreements between the likes of Iserbyt and Sweeck or the Pauwels and Baloise teams, I still think Pidcock's chances of winning are low.
I don't think they are low, just not near absolute. He's shown he can work towards a goal and perform on the big stage. He was om the podium 2 years ago already and has olympic gold now. Stress should not pose an issue. The course should suit him as well. But he hasn't outclassed the others, who will fight with more determination considering this is their one chance.

That's true. Van Aert and van der Poel are so much better than the others, that teams don't really matter anymore. In the early season races, when they are not yet present, it can matter more.

I wasn't just speaking of individual dominance, but of those who ride without teams who are able to do well. Jens Adams rides unsupported, finished high in the Belguim championships and is headed to the Worlds. Van Aert and Vos ride alone for Jumbo-Visma. Pidcock got a teammate only at the end of the season. And there were no Trek Baloise riders near Toon Aerts most of the time. It just seems like in the grand scheme of things, team work is well down the list of what matters in a CX race.

Why not, I keep hearing about this great US cross scene, potential medallist in the womens race and quite a number regularly riding in Europe.
If cross is ever to make the Winter Olympics top races outside Europe are a must.
Hate to say it, but very few places in the US where there is much of a CX scene at all - if anything it is fading pretty hard in most spots - with lots of series no longer happening (Arizona for example). MTB and now gravel racing are the deal. Again, as much as I love guys like Kerry Werner, I doubt the USA will have anyone within 2 minutes of the podium in Fayettville - and that's without MVDP and WVA racing.

Hate to say it, but very few places in the US where there is much of a CX scene at all - if anything it is fading pretty hard in most spots - with lots of series no longer happening (Arizona for example). MTB and now gravel racing are the deal. Again, as much as I love guys like Kerry Werner, I doubt the USA will have anyone within 2 minutes of the podium in Fayettville - and that's without MVDP and WVA racing.

Agree. Vincent Baestaens came over and beat them all comfortably.......

On the road there are decent, and race/ stage winning World Tour pros in both men & women. MTB has Courtney, Batten & Blevins, and a few youngsters coming through; Amos & Munro. CX is the poor relation; only Honsinger is world class, and even then it depends on conditions.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and ij74
PODCAST. Onze Sterren – Omloop Het Nieuwsblad: “Als Wout van Aert zijn akkefietje met Peter Sagan wil uitpraten, moet hij achterin het peloton zijn”

A few posts on social media were saying that WVA is making fun of Sagan on this podcast. Can anybody fact-check that claims for me? I am just wondering if it is true or just tabloid style.
Apparently, during a pre race interview when talking about other riders, Van Aert said that he was sure about at least one guy not ready for the Omloop, being Peter Sagan. This is mentioned by one of the journalists in the podcast, who then himself added the joke "maybe they can work out their beef ... in the back of the bunch".

It's true though that both of them don't get along. This is mostly a result of the sprint during the 11th stage in the 2020 Tour de France, where Sagan in typical fashion fought his way along Van Aert, resulting in a quarrel. In a recent interview (might actually be the same as the one mentioned, I'm not sure) Van Aert confirmed this, and also said many guys don't like Sagan. Which I know for a fact to be true. He is a bit of a jerk in the peloton, and regularly shows contempt for a lot of other riders.

Apparently, during a pre race interview when talking about other riders, Van Aert said that he was sure about at least one guy not ready for the Omloop, being Peter Sagan. This is mentioned by one of the journalists in the podcast, who then himself added the joke "maybe they can work out their beef ... in the back of the bunch".

It's true though that both of them don't get along. This is mostly a result of the sprint during the 11th stage in the 2020 Tour de France, where Sagan in typical fashion fought his way along Van Aert, resulting in a quarrel. In a recent interview (might actually be the same as the one mentioned, I'm not sure) Van Aert confirmed this, and also said many guys don't like Sagan. Which I know for a fact to be true. He is a bit of a jerk in the peloton, and regularly shows contempt for a lot of other riders.
I haven't read very many things about other riders not liking PS, but maybe not much of that makes it into English print that I read.

TRENDING THREADS