• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What is going on? What happened to Wout?

If Wout doesn‘t ride RVV 2022, I won‘t watch the race. I cannot stand asking myself „What if?“ all the time.

If I‘m honest, I would even go so far, that I hope the race gets cancelled, if Wout cannot ride. Won‘t happen, I know. But RVV without Wout is a race with the atmosphere of a funeral. :(
Ronde without Wout is like the tour de France without Richie Porte.

For sure he can win all the warm up races

What is going on? What happened to Wout?

If Wout doesn‘t ride RVV 2022, I won‘t watch the race. I cannot stand asking myself „What if?“ all the time.

If I‘m honest, I would even go so far, that I hope the race gets cancelled, if Wout cannot ride. Won‘t happen, I know. But RVV without Wout is a race with the atmosphere of a funeral. :(

You really don't think they will cancel if a rider gets sick?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
You really don't think they will cancel if a rider gets sick?

Probably not, sadly…

I would suggest, if Jannik Steimle gets sick, they can still race. If Wout is sick, however, I‘d suggest to wait until Wout is healthy again… :)

People just love watching Wout riding and winning races. Doesn‘t matter if it‘s Superprestige Ruddervoorde or RVV. Fans love eating fries, drinking maybe a beer, and cheering for Wout. That‘s what cycling in winter and spring is about… :)

Probably not, sadly…

I would suggest, if Jannik Steimle gets sick, they can still race. If Wout is sick, however, I‘d suggest to wait until Wout is healthy again… :)

People just love watching Wout riding and winning races. Doesn‘t matter if it‘s Superprestige Ruddervoorde or RVV. Fans love eating fries, drinking maybe a beer, and cheering for Wout. That‘s what cycling in winter and spring is about… :)

Jeez, how nasty of them to have held the race before his birth...

Jeez, how nasty of them to have held the race before his birth...

Indeed… grin

With regard to Sunday, I think the sponsors should have more power. JV should be able to say, „We pay Wout millions of Euros a year, and RVV is one of the competitions which are most important to him. If Wout is sick on RVV‘s Sunday, the race has to be postponed until he is healthy again!“…

In boxing, for example, if one of the two fighters is sick or injured, the fight gets postponed until both are healthy.

In cycling, in RVV, this edition fans at least want to see Wout, Mathieu, Asgreen, Pidcock, Politt, Mohoric and Pogacar… :)

A real pitty to have the top favourite not participate. It will never take away any of the glory for the winner, but sunday I will have a lot of 'what if moments'.

On the bright side if he misses flanders, maybe he'll try to stretch his classic spring until LBL? Would be interesting to see him in Liège (and who knows in Fleche Walloon).

• Wow
Indeed… grin

With regard to Sunday, I think the sponsors should have more power. JV should be able to say, „We pay Wout millions of Euros a year, and RVV is one of the competitions which are most important to him. If Wout is sick on RVV‘s Sunday, the race has to be postponed until he is healthy again!“…

In boxing, for example, if one of the two fighters is sick or injured, the fight gets postponed until both are healthy.

In cycling, in RVV, this edition fans at least want to see Wout, Mathieu, Asgreen, Pidcock, Politt, Mohoric and Pogacar… :)

So much fuss about a 6th place finisher so you should really add GVA, Vanmarke and Stuyven to that list of must-sees as they beat your guy last year.

Indeed… grin

Boxing is a bad example because they fight two or three times per year so its easy (er) to reschedule. Plus in boxing its two people not a coupla hundred lining up for a chance to win. I'm pretty sure you're just being silly, but I hope that I never see the day that race promoters or sponsors change places on the calendar because of one racer (or several for that matter).

...but then they'll have to wait for Bernal too...

Yes, true, but in Bernal‘s case, it‘s „only“ the Vuelta which might be postponed. The other GTs, he already won…

@Carrick-On-Seine: It‘s rather the 2020 edition which makes me think that Wout is so important to RVV that it would not be a true Ronde without him…

@jmdirt: Indeed, I was rather joking smile… To explain this, this afternoon, I was very surprised about the news of Wout likely not doing de Ronde. Until few weeks, I was sure we won‘t get to see Mathieu in this year‘s RVV, so it‘s Wout‘s turn to win, finally. Now, it has changed completely: likely no Wout, but an apparently pain-free and strong MVDP… :)

Last edited:
Probably not, sadly…

People don't want to support WVA unless they are deluded Belgians. They want to support real racers like Nibali, Ballan, Alaphilippe and Bonnen

TRENDING THREADS