• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's not gonna happen. Maybe he be close for one climb. But that's it. Multiple big climbs is way too much. It's not even purely weight. It's also having fast twitch fiber. And if you drop a lot of weight below your natural weight, then your watts suffer and your recovery suffers.

Tell that to Wiggins and Thomas.

But yeah, I agree about the fibre type distribution. It's a bit trainable in theory, but I find it quite hard to believe that it can be done.

But he has gone top 20 in the Tour without trying. What would his ceiling be? Top 10 should be doable, I think, but not much more (and yes, I know that the number one place is an element of the set "top 10").

It's not gonna happen. Maybe he be close for one climb. But that's it. Multiple big climbs is way too much. It's not even purely weight. It's also having fast twitch fiber. And if you drop a lot of weight below your natural weight, then your watts suffer and your recovery suffers.

I don't doubt that Wout has plenty of slow-twitch fibers as well. How else could he generate huge wattage for almost an hour during long TTs? It's more about natural weight, which is pretty large in his case and wattage doesn't grow linearly with weight.

Van Aert is an absolutely insane rider I didn't watch riders like Mertens, Kelly or Jalabert but since the 2000s I don't know any rider with his versatility and consistency. The two last stages, especially the last climb, should be hard enough for him to win the overall but its not actually impossible that he wins the Dauphiné if barely anyone attacks

Wout can perform well on any single climb if he goes 100% and is in top form. Good examples are Prati di Tivo at last year's Tirreno (he lost 40s to Pog, who had great numbers) or Mikuni pass at the Olympics. However these two stages with multiple climbs could take their toll at the end and he can lose more time in the last few km on Sunday. I wouldn't put Dauphine victory out of his reach but it may well be taken away from him literally in last minutes of the race.

Last edited:
Van Aert is an absolutely insane rider I didn't watch riders like Mertens, Kelly or Jalabert but since the 2000s I don't know any rider with his versatility and consistency. The two last stages, especially the last climb, should be hard enough for him to win the overall but its not actually impossible that he wins the Dauphiné if barely anyone attacks
You're right about versatility, but in terms of consistency Alejandro Valverde Belmonte is el Rey de los Reyes!

Still hasn't won an RVV or PR - the two races his career will be defined by. Stage wins at TDF prep races with a superior team and minimal competition won't be remembered. Let's see how he fares against MVDP in a few weeks. My guess is not to well.
I reckon he will do better than Van der Poel in the Giro who only managed to get 1 stage win against a field where Girmay, who unfortunately had to abandon halfway through, was his only serious opposition.

Reactions: KZD and hayneplane
Did you really just post a video of a race where Van Aert won the same amount of stages as Van der Poel, but on top of that, actually finished 2nd (behind only Pogacar) in GC over an actual mountain climb, as proof that Van der Poel is superior? While Van der Poel didn't have to go all out every day in GC. Not to mention the fact that he won his second stage because they actually let him go since he was no threat in GC, and still he nearly managed to lose that stage. I hope you aren't a lawyer because all your clients would be doing jailtime, even if they were innocent.

Did you really just post a video of a race where Van Aert won the same amount of stages as Van der Poel, but on top of that, actually finished 2nd (behind only Pogacar) in GC over an actual mountain climb, as proof that Van der Poel is superior? While Van der Poel didn't have to go all out every day in GC. Not to mention the fact that he won his second stage because they actually let him go since he was no threat in GC, and still he nearly managed to lose that stage. I hope you aren't a lawyer because all your clients would be doing jailtime, even if they were innocent.
Coming with the zingers tonight ;)

Still hasn't won an RVV or PR - the two races his career will be defined by. Stage wins at TDF prep races with a superior team and minimal competition won't be remembered. Let's see how he fares against MVDP in a few weeks. My guess is not too well.

But winning stages in the Tour especially in last year's fashion will be remembered. Just like a few of the classics he won and he still has time to win RVV or PR.

About the Tour, even if Van Aert loses in a straight fight against MVDP in the hilltop finishes on stages 6 and 8, he could still win other stages, dress in yellow in the first days and win the green jersey all things that I don't believe Van der Poel can