• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 96 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't have access to Liggett's commentaries, but if he was even 20 years ago consistently messing race information and riders names, I can't imagine how it is now.
It's a more consistent stream of urgent mispronouncements. If I hear "Adri Van der Poel" one more time I'll break my tV. Fortunately there are no riders with names close to Abdoujaporav or everyone's TV would explode!

Reactions: Monte Serra
Despite his lesser palmares now, I see WvA has more effective skillset and better circumstance to win more than Sagan. A far better TTist, a better climber, and to me is a better sprinter too. It will take more time for him to collect big wins, but I believe he will. The only things that can keep him is the other super talents, I don't think Sagan have half that many rivalling him in term of talents at his peak, that's another plus for WvA.

He is no match for Sagan when it comes to create excitement on the road, though, and it's likely not going to change anytime soon. So until WvA wins a ton more, I think Sagan will always be remembered as the "bigger" cyclist.
TT doesn't matter unless he wins WC or Olympics with it, cause he's not winning a GT. Better climbing isn't that important unless he leverages it into wins in Liege, Lombardia or WC where Sagan would not have contended.

Sagan underperformed in monuments, but his conversion rate in WC is insane.

TT doesn't matter unless he wins WC or Olympics with it, cause he's not winning a GT. Better climbing isn't that important unless he leverages it into wins in Liege, Lombardia or WC where Sagan would not have contended.

Sagan underperformed in monuments, but his conversion rate in WC is insane.
Alaphillipe to win the WC this year, pick up another couple of monuments and I say he has a better career than both (and way way more panache).

Seems hes 100% domestique on the cobbles which is understandable, but I had still hoped he would just blast up the road. Maybe Vingegaard and Roglic is good enough to follow, like Schleck did with Cancellara in 2010, and he can win the sprint? Who knows. Pogacar's team is incredibly weak on that stage, so I think they would absolutely try to do something like CSC did back in 2010 with Benoot, Laporte and Van Aert. Problem is that Pogacar himself isn't weak, but positioning before cobbles can be crucial as well.

But first a good chance Calais tomorrow and after the cobbles stage 6 which I can only see Wout or MVP winning. Green should be a lock already honesty, but I mostly care about stages.

Seems hes 100% domestique on the cobbles which is understandable, but I had still hoped he would just blast up the road. Maybe Vingegaard and Roglic is good enough to follow, like Schleck did with Cancellara in 2010, and he can win the sprint? Who knows. Pogacar's team is incredibly weak on that stage, so I think they would absolutely try to do something like CSC did back in 2010 with Benoot, Laporte and Van Aert. Problem is that Pogacar himself isn't weak, but positioning before cobbles can be crucial as well.

But first a good chance Calais tomorrow and after the cobbles stage 6 which I can only see Wout or MVP winning. Green should be a lock already honesty, but I mostly care about stages.

What is your source? I heard it was said by Vingegaard in a podcast he did but I haven't heard the podcast nor would hearing it get me any further because of my lack of Danish.... but I'd seriously doubt it if WVA will have to protect Roglegaard in a stage where points for the green jersey are up for grabs...

Reactions: Sandisfan
What is your source? I heard it was said by Vingegaard in a podcast he did but I haven't heard the podcast nor would hearing it get me any further because of my lack of Danish.... but I'd seriously doubt it if WVA will have to protect Roglegaard in a stage where points for the green jersey are up for grabs...
My source is the legendary danish journalist Claus Elming. Sounds reasonable, so I think thats the plan for sure without being certain.

Personally I kinda struggle to see the merit in trying to attack Pogacar on the cobbles, I find it very likely he's better on them than Vingegaard and Roglic. Especially in the battle for position before the sections.

You don't need to drop Pogacar. Isolate him and with cobbles you got a higher risk of punctures. If he is alone, no one can give him a bike or a wheel and good luck waiting for team car. Even all mighty Pogacar could lose Tour here, he only needs some bad luck. Can't solve everything with turbo watts.

Personally I kinda struggle to see the merit in trying to attack Pogacar on the cobbles, I find it very likely he's better on them than Vingegaard and Roglic. Especially in the battle for position before the sections.

If they won't then Pogačar likely will. Considering Pogačar lost Trentin and slightly injured his arm. And considering they will be racing aggressive for van Art in the first place. It's reasonable to expect they will try to at least create an opportunity. It would be rather foolish not to.

If they won't then Pogačar likely will. Considering Pogačar lost Trentin and slightly injured his arm. And considering they will be racing aggressive for van Art in the first place. It's reasonable to expect they will try to at least create an opportunity. It would be rather foolish not to.
Step 1. Race for Van Aert
Step 2. Drop Vingegaard
Step 3. ????
Step 4. At least you tried.

In my opinion they should be as aggressive as they can be on stage 5. And they should try to put Pogi under pressure. If they won't try that then i don't know what exactly they are doing here.

Obviously it can backfire. But on the other hand they can lose both Roglič and Vingegaard in GC by racing as conservative as possible. If they worry about Vingegaard. Then they should put him on Pogi wheel. That is if he couldn't cope with the pressure of a full blown JV attack.

Bottom line. UAE doesn't have Trentin and Pogi arm will suffer on cobbles. JV should try to take advantage of that. If they drop Pogi then in my opinion he won't catch them anymore till the finish line. Or if he will it will lose much energy chasing.

As for the positioning. In my opinion JV has the edge here. And as said if they won't then Pogi will. Maybe by joining the likes of Ineos.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS