• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alaphilippe wiped his nose with Van Aert 2 years in a row in the wolrd championships.

Where racing skills come to the fore the most because of lack of radio, Alaphilippe is so much better and van aert is like a deer in car headlights, frightened and static

And Alaphilippe almost podiumed the Tour. He did a genuine good Gc in the Tour . Van aert can't do that. Alaphilippe is miles better.

@tobydawq @Valv.Piti

And how many times did Van Aert wipe his nose with Alaphilippe?

Alaphilippe wiped his nose with Van Aert 2 years in a row in the wolrd championships.

Where racing skills come to the fore the most because of lack of radio, Alaphilippe is so much better and van aert is like a deer in car headlights, frightened and static

And Alaphilippe almost podiumed the Tour. He did a genuine good Gc in the Tour . Van aert can't do that. Alaphilippe is miles better.

@tobydawq @Valv.Piti

Alaphilippe is one best classics riders in the world but last year he got just 4 wins in a healthy season so if you think that he is miles better than Van Aert you are deluded.

Last edited:
Reactions: tobydawq
Hey guys, now that Stybar probably will retire after 2022, why not gi this thread a new name?

Wout rides and wins bike races all year long, on the snow in January (Val di Sole cyclocross) to the southern French heat (TdF in July).

What do you think about this thread title: „Official Wout van Aert thread - a man (almost) without refractory period“?… :)

This idea recently came to my mind when I wrote even Pogi needed some rest after TdF - his refractory period, so to say. I very much appreciated that this made a forum colleague laugh out loudly… ;)

Think about it - I could imagine Wout would LOVE this new thread title - though he‘s too well- behaved to admit it… ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Hey guys, now that Stybar probably will retire after 2022, why not gi this thread a new name?

Wout rides and wins bike races all year long, on the snow in January (Val di Sole cyclocross) to the southern French heat (TdF in July).

What do you think about this thread title: „Official Wout van Aert thread - a man (almost) without refractory period“?… :)

This idea recently came to my mind when I wrote even Pogi needed some rest after TdF - his refractory period, so to say. I very much appreciated that this made a forum colleague laugh out loudly… ;)

Think about it - I could imagine Wout would LOVE this new thread title - though he‘s too well- behaved to admit it… ;)
This better?

Van Aert won't ride the Worlds TT to prepare optimally for the Road Race.

Van Aert and Remco will be co-leaders at the Road Race and both will get a personal domestique. It should be Benoot for Van Aert and possibly Lampaert for Remco. Lampaert and Remco to ride the TT in that scenario.

Also Stuyven is a certainty for the Road Race. The rest of the selection is to be decided before the end of the month.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan

Van Aert and Remco will be co-leaders at the Road Race and both will get a personal domestique. It should be Benoot for Van Aert and possibly Lampaert for Remco. Lampaert and Remco to ride the TT in that scenario.

Also Stuyven is a certainty for the Road Race. The rest of the selection is to be decided before the end of the month.

Hahahahahahahahahaahahaahaaha !

Dumb decision in my opinion, a world title is a world title and he is more likely to get it in the TT

I think he was in front based on ability, not by palmares.

Currently, I have no doubt in my mind that Van Aert and Pogacar are by far the two best riders in the world.
Yeah, right know, if I have to decide who's the best rider in the world, I would probably pick one of those two.
But it could easily happen that at the end of the season neither of them will be seen as the best. I mean Pogacar got beaten in the most important race fair and square, and Van Aert lacks biggest wins to lay the claim of being the best.
I mean, if Remco somehow wins the Vuelta, he'll probably be considered as the best rider of the year.
If Van der Poel wins the Worlds, then it's 2-0 in his favor against Wout.
If Vingegaard wins Lombardia, he's by far the best rider in the world then...

Yeah, right know, if I have to decide who's the best rider in the world, I would probably pick one of those two.
But it could easily happen that at the end of the season neither of them will be seen as the best. I mean Pogacar got beaten in the most important race fair and square, and Van Aert lacks biggest wins to lay the claim of being the best.
I mean, if Remco somehow wins the Vuelta, he'll probably be considered as the best rider of the year.

What if Hindley wins the Vuelta?

Vinegar might need just a little bit more than Lombardia.
Though there's not much on offer.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
He would become a candidate but given that we didn't win any stage at the Giro, I think that he would need at least a stage at the Vuelta + overall and hope that Vingegaard, Pogacar, Evenepoel and Van Aert missed their late season goals.

People keep nurturing the myth that Hindley didn't win a stage in the Giro, I have seen it quite a few times now.

He won on Blockhaus.

Also, I hardly think stage wins would matter too much if he had won two Grand Tours.

People keep nurturing the myth that Hindley didn't win a stage in the Giro, I have seen it quite a few times now.

He won on Blockhaus.

Also, I hardly think stage wins would matter too much if he had won two Grand Tours.

True I forgot about Blockhaus but I can't still see him winning the Velo d'Or even with a Vuelta win unless all of the other 4 miss their goals in the end of the season (even if there is the argument that he should win from a purely outcome based point of view, he doesn't have the same pedigree and media presence as the other 4 so likely he wouldn't get it in similar fashion to Roglic 2019).

True I forgot about Blockhaus but I can't still see him winning the Velo d'Or even with a Vuelta win unless all of the other 4 miss their goals in the end of the season (even if there is the argument that he should win from a purely outcome based point of view, he doesn't have the same pedigree and media presence as the other 4 so likely he wouldn't get it in similar fashion to Roglic 2019).

I tend to agree even though I don't think it would be particularly fair.

TRENDING THREADS