• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Like, inflation is sky high, people struggle to afford energy, there's a cost of living crisis, and there's a giant land war in Europe, but your 1st thought is to moan about wokeness I think that's a pretty big brain fart at best.
And I suppose none of these affects him personally. Literally everyone and everywhere talks about inflation, the war and energy crisis, so why would he be supposed to be another one to do that?

The problem with wokeness that Wout talked about is on a different level that the ones you mentioned, but that doesn't mean he needs to keep quite about that just because "there are bigger problems going on". I'm personally really satisfied that he's not afraid to give his own opinion about all that woke stuff, as most of the well known sport figures just thoughtlessly succumb to it (at least publicly).

"Woke" has become a grammatically incorrect catch-word to indicate the lingering persistance of residual traditions associated with discrimination and racism in American culture, and by extension Anglo-European culture (hence Zwarte Piet), according to the logic of politically correct and the cancel culture, neo-inquisition environment it has spawned. Social media has made practically everyone and everything subject to "woke" scrutiny, its "influencers" new Torquemadas, a corrolary of which is the more puritanical variant of "Me too" extremism. Naturally there are far greater problems in the world than Zwarte Piet, for example the myriad of crimes that oppress countless millions every day, which evade the ire of "woke" concerns. So Wout is free to express a critical approach to the trend, however unpopular this may be with the marketing concerns of his title sponsors that don't want controversy adversely affecting business.

Last edited:
"Woke" has become a grammatically incorrect catch-word to indicate the lingering persistance of residual traditions associated with discrimination and racism in American culture, and by extension Anglo-European culture (hence Zwarte Piet), according to the logic of politically correct and the cancel culture, neo-inquisition environment it has spawned. Social media has made practically everyone and everything subject to "woke" scrutiny, its "influencers" new Torquemadas, a corrolary of which is the more puritanical variant of "Me too" extremism. Naturally there are far greater problems in the world than Zwarte Piet, for example the myriad of crimes that oppress countless millions every day, which evade the ire of "woke" concern. So Wout is free to express a critical approach to the trend, however unpopular this may be with the marketing concerns of his title sponsors that don't want controversy adversely effecting business.
Good post, at least he doesn't ride for a virtue signaling American team...

Reactions: KZD and Extinction
Belgians not understanding racism? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

5898068.jpg

Can't wait to see WvA in Rwanda for the Worlds in 2025.

• Haha
Reactions: Bolder and Berniece
The problem with wokeness that Wout talked about is on a different level that the ones you mentioned, but that doesn't mean he needs to keep quite about that just because "there are bigger problems going on". I'm personally really satisfied that he's not afraid to give his own opinion about all that woke stuff, as most of the well known sport figures just thoughtlessly succumb to it (at least publicly).
There is indeed a case to be made about wokeness being too extreme the past few years, but using the “Zwarte Piet” discussion isn’t the correct topic to proof this point. There is an actual case to be made about the old school “Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet”. But that’s a whole different discussion for a different topic, looking forward to WVA in strade bianche again this year.

Reactions: jono
The woke culture isn't a bad thing because it values certain ideas. It's a bad thing because it unironically mimics fascism in the way it goes about it. There is no room for interpretation, no room for context, only one idea is correct. And if you do not comply, then the only outcome is social eradication (cancelling). Yeah, i think it is a valid concern. Van Aert unfortunately chose the wrong example.

Belgians not understanding racism? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

5898068.jpg

Can't wait to see WvA in Rwanda for the Worlds in 2025.
Congratulations on using a comic book of 1931 to paint "Belgians" as racists.

The woke culture isn't a bad thing because it values certain ideas. It's a bad thing because it unironically mimics fascism in the way it goes about it. There is no room for interpretation, no room for context, only one idea is correct. And if you do not comply, then the only outcome is social eradication (cancelling). Yeah, i think it is a valid concern. Van Aert unfortunately chose the wrong example.
What would be a good example? Who has actually been cancelled merely for offering an unpopular or unwoke opinion?

I've seen some mild internet criticism from some cycling weirdos. He has suffered no consequences of note, professional or otherwise.
I was being ironic. Yet I think the point is that we are all susceptible, in the internet age of social media, to having anything we might do, say or write, even privately, used against us with serious consequences if it is deemed by the politico-corporate-lobbying (and there are many) establishment to infringe upon a hegemonic politically correct, neo-moralism that has taken over, often for convenience, power and profit, what still remains a highly immoral society and world.

But since we aren't allowed to dispute politics, back to the cyclist who got political.

Last edited:
What I saw was some people disagreeing with Wout and quite a few people criticizing woke culture. I‘m sure Wout is shaking and crying from this brutal cancellation by woke social media authorities.
Also, are we allowed to debate politics here?
What I think Wout meant was that it's dangerous when you can come under moral suspicion or judgment, simply for not vehemently taking up the cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS