• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 133 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know he was won proper field sprints in the TdF, but are there any notable classics where Wout has won a sprint from a small group? I can think of many instances where he did not win from such a situation where one would have liked his chances, but am having a hard time coming up with positive examples.
Gent-Wevelgem 2021 and Bretagne Classic 2022.
He won 3-man sprint at Amstel and beat Alaphilippe H2H in San Remo.

But he can't possibly be undisputed team leader with van Baarle riding?
If he's at 100% he certainly has team leadership. Whether that denies Van Baarle his chances to win are another question. Just ask Stijn Devolder about it.

Currently it looks as if the illness prior to Tirreno-Adriatico has taken its toll. So Jumbo probably chooses for a team deployment rather to outplay their contrahents in numbers.

In Flanders he will be up against MvdP, Pogacar and Alaphilippe, so he'll need a super day to win there.

However I think he has a real chance to win Roubaix this year. That race is less about explosiveness and more about endurance, so perfect for Wout. Last year he was second in spite of a disturbed preparation, and the first is now in his team. He'll just have to make sure that he gets away before Van Baarle does.

He (and Laporte) did that at E3 last year but yeah it's not his usual tactic.
I still honestly can't see how he'd be undisputed leader over van Baarle.
An attack on Paterberg in E3 (or for that matter Bosberg in Omloop) is not quite what I had in mind. The Roubaix equivalent of those would be an attack on Carrefour de l'Arbre. I was thinking of a move that anticipated the final blow.

he might be the poor mans MVDP but after MVDP crushed him in front of the entire world to see in their h2h at cyclecross world championship not long ago and now this from a personal perspective i hope hes okei, the moral has got to taken a big hit taking beating after beatings like that countless times when u simply cant match him.

hope hes okei and head high he has nothing to be ashamed off i honestly doubt there is many humans on earth in our entire existense that could match the raw power output of MVDP. Hope dont go home empty handed again in the classic season as hes a generational talent and deserve some to show for it just happen to be riding at the wrong time with a monster.

Last edited:
What's starting to become clear is that Wout's acceleration is simply not that impressive compared to his rivals. That's why Pidcock, Van der Poel and Pogacar beat him regularly in sprints.

It's a bit counterintuitive, because of his success as a bunch sprinter. But those wins have mainly come from his ability to maintain a stable high speed ánd top speed for a long time, rather than from incredible accelerations.

It also seems his acceleration is further weakened the longer a race lasts / the more times he has to force an acceleration. Pogacar and Van der Poel know what to do in Flanders: make every hill a sprint to the top.

Still a top favourite for Roubaix though, unless it's wet.

Nothing to worry about, if you are able to match Pogacar, who has been the man of this season so far, on the Poggio then you are in damn good shape. Van der Poel was just better yesterday. Perhaps the roles will be reversed next time.
This is exactly right and the best racers both physically and mentally know that you don't win every race, and maybe the media puffs up the expectation that Remco or Pogocar are God like and untouchable. I am super impressed with some bigger stronger body types climbing fantastic.. and other side of the coin..impressive to see Pogocar sprinting with some of best and racing well in one day events..he is the new definition of all arounder.
I will not miss a minute of Paris- Roubaix..feel like 12-15 guys have a shot..I see Pitcock, Ganna, and Rui Costa on the list if they race

he might be the poor mans MVDP but after MVDP crushed him in front of the entire world to see in their h2h at cyclecross world championship not long ago and now this from a personal perspective i hope hes okei, the moral has got to taken a big hit taking beating after beatings like that countless times when u simply cant match him.

hope hes okei and head high he has nothing to be ashamed off i honestly doubt there is many humans on earth in our entire existense that could match the raw power output of MVDP. Hope dont go home empty handed again in the classic season as hes a generational talent and deserve some to show for it just happen to be riding at the wrong time with a monster.
Are you adrie van der poel?

Are you adrie van der poel?
Adrie is pretty chill, I think we can all agree the guy you're quoting definitely isn't. He kinda reminds me of a certain dude on WF that for some weird reason keeps posting about Dumoulin although he's no longer riding...
But yeah, these posts are getting pretty ridiculous. And he's just copy-pasting them in different threads.

Ontopic: no one did anything wrong here. People seem to forget that there's also the form of the day. Mathieu just had the legs.
On a day like that, its pretty natural to be surprised that others can't keep your wheel. And that's just what happened. Wout was at his max. So was Pogacar (and let's be frank: this M-S never was Pogacars playground to begin with: the climbs just aren't hard enough.
Mathieu was the strongest (hadn't expected that, but that's how he rolls I guess), Wout gave it his all, but Mathieu just had the legs this day.

On a seperate point: to me, anybody criticizing Ganna is a fool. He rode the perfect race and completely maximized his opportunities.

Reactions: Bolder and Ripper
Adrie is pretty chill, I think we can all agree the guy you're quoting definitely isn't. He kinda reminds me of a certain dude on WF that for some weird reason keeps posting about Dumoulin although he's no longer riding...
But yeah, these posts are getting pretty ridiculous. And he's just copy-pasting them in different threads.
Relax if your not a fanboy you know just as good as me that not a single word of that is not true tho. Nothing to be mad about just so happens that MVDP raw power output is unmatched which he time after time has proved vs the other biggest hitters - which he again did this time. Nothing new really.

I dont think most guys here understand what it takes to ride away from Ganna, WVA and POG at that speed on a 2 % gradient the actualy number it requires at that speed is really hard to fathom not about anything else, people should ask Pogacar if they wonder he said it best himself after Milan Sanremo.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS