• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Offical Wout Van Aert isn't a new Zdenek Stybar

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Can we talk about this?
Don't really see why they say this is the ASOs fault. I mean how to prevent this? Use these "sprint barriers" everywhere instead of the normal ones? Can't really be a solution.

I would understand holding the organizers responsible for something like crashing into a pole at Pais Vasco, but not really for this situation.

Can we talk about this?
Don't really see why they say this is the ASOs fault. I mean how to prevent this? Use these "sprint barriers" everywhere instead of the normal ones? Can't really be a solution.

I would understand holding the organizers responsible for something like crashing into a pole at Pais Vasco, but not really for this situation.
Why wouldn't we be able to talk about this? I think they are thinking about the direction of placement of the barriers that made the joints stick out like hooks, which could have been prevented, and would in fact have prevented his injury in this particular case. Whether they have a case... i actually don't know.

I used the translator and only got something regarding "wrong placement". Thought this means there should have been more space in the corner or so. So usually they stick out to the outside and somehow these barriers were flipped?
Makes more sense than what i initially thought.

I used the translator and only got something regarding "wrong placement". Thought this means there should have been more space in the corner or so. So usually they stick out to the outside and somehow these barriers were flipped?
Makes more sense than what i initially thought.
Like i thought, they are arguing that the barriers were not "correctly placed". Not in terms of position, but "the manner" in which they were placed, which was the cause of the seriousness of the injury. They say ASO did not take proper safety precautions. So far, they have not made a claim but are considering it.

The metal hooks to attach two barriers were placed so that they were pointing in the direction of the riders. This should have been the other way around. Van Aert caught such a hook, and that went into his leg and tore through his muscles. Had the direction been reversed, the hook would never have penetrated the leg. So, yes, they do have a strong case.

Wout in Sporza "Facebook Live". For those who understand Dutch, i suggest watching the video, because there is a lot more in the video than in the transcript.
He was also in Extra Time Koers, for those who want to watch that video (in Dutch), look it up on sporza.be.

View: https://www.facebook.com/sporza/videos/375297393420764/

Wout van Aert was a guest at Extra Time Koers today. But before we sent him into the TV studio, he was happy to answer your questions. It turns out: his recovery is going well, children are not yet on the way and he is on juice diet.

How is your recovery going? (Daveke Bonanza)
"I get questions about my recovery almost daily, but I don't mind. That is nice. In the meantime, I can say that everything is going well. I go to the physiotherapist every day and the power in my right leg gradually comes back. So I hope that I can sit on my bike again in a few weeks. "
"Up to now I have been riding on the rollers for about three times and with the physiotherapist I am on the home trainer. But it was not really possible to cycle yet. I miss it really hard. Especially the World Championship time trial on Wednesday."

What do you think about Tom Dumoulin's transfer? (Roel Draper)
"I think the arrival of Tom Dumoulin is a top transfer. Tom was and is the top of the time trial. I can learn a lot from that."
"Doesn't it get a little busy in the team like that? There are a lot of races, it is not the intention to let everyone ride everywhere. It's good to have several pawns."

How much weight have you gained or lost? (Tim Stroobants)
"You can certainly delete that second one. I have gained a little weight. We have now been two months further and apart from the efforts of the physiotherapist I have not been able to do anything. It is difficult to stay on that top weight."
"In the last few days I have done a small detox with juices to do something about it. Especially for the TV. (Laughs)"

Are any children coming? (Wes)
"As far as I don't know. We enjoy life and with a child there it would be different. We will wait a little longer."

What do you think of the rule of the stockings? (Robin Verbeeck)
"It is now coming into view for the first time, but the rule has been around for 2 years. I understand him, but maybe he is a bit wrong. All the little things make a difference."
"I think Remco did put on his socks at the start. I didn't see the problem with the shoe right away, he swam around nicely. But in the end it made no difference. The winner was clear."

Who will be world champion on Sunday? (Kate Sesselle)
"Mathieu on one, Trentin second and a strong Gilbert takes the bronze medal."

Good news. Recovery seems to be going well. Merijn Zeeman assumes he'll be starting TDF2020.

Reactions: Koronin
Nuyens wants over 1.1 million in damages for van Aert's breach of contract. I've got a feeling it's going to come down to a testimony of Niels Albert. The reason why van Aert suddenly broke his contract (according to van Aert) was that Nuyens was pressuring/blackmailing Albert to testify against van Aert should it come to that, when Albert wanted to leave the team, so that he didn't have to pay some sort of severance fine for leaving the team. Albert supposedly wouldn't have to pay up, if he complied and painted a rather negative image of van Aert (being intolerable and insufferable). This is the main reason for the "urgent reason" behind the breach of contract.

There are more things, van Aert is claiming, like Nuyens not living up to prior agreements of refunding training camps abroad, which van Aert had to pay for, himself. Having to ride with subpar material (i do remember a period where he actually did have issues with his bike in basically every race) and having to keep quiet about it. Having to show up at too many sponsor events. The merger with Roompot was not what he signed up for. He would lose valued teammates and would have to work with a new entourage which he didn't value much.

To be honest, if the "Albert" story gets debunked, i'm not so sure that the rest of the facts will be enough to warrant a breach of contract. Not getting the best/promised material... he won't be the first nor the last (just ask Rohan Dennis). Not wanting the team to merge... well, that's not up to him obviously, even if he was the main/only reason for the teams to merge and even if he was the only reason to attract new sponsors. Not getting refunded for training camps... maybe if he has proof in writing, and proof he had officially informed the team of not living up to their part of the agreement well in advance and/or in numerous occasions. I can see this going both ways.

Nuyens wants over 1.1 million in damages for van Aert's breach of contract. I've got a feeling it's going to come down to a testimony of Niels Albert. The reason why van Aert suddenly broke his contract (according to van Aert) was that Nuyens was pressuring/blackmailing Albert to testify against van Aert should it come to that, when Albert wanted to leave the team, so that he didn't have to pay some sort of severance fine for leaving the team. Albert supposedly wouldn't have to pay up, if he complied and painted a rather negative image of van Aert (being intolerable and insufferable). This is the main reason for the "urgent reason" behind the breach of contract.

There are more things, van Aert is claiming, like Nuyens not living up to prior agreements of refunding training camps abroad, which van Aert had to pay for, himself. Having to ride with subpar material (i do remember a period where he actually did have issues with his bike in basically every race) and having to keep quiet about it. Having to show up at too many sponsor events. The merger with Roompot was not what he signed up for. He would lose valued teammates and would have to work with a new entourage which he didn't value much.

To be honest, if the "Albert" story gets debunked, i'm not so sure that the rest of the facts will be enough to warrant a breach of contract. Not getting the best/promised material... he won't be the first nor the last (just ask Rohan Dennis). Not wanting the team to merge... well, that's not up to him obviously, even if he was the main/only reason for the teams to merge and even if he was the only reason to attract new sponsors. Not getting refunded for training camps... maybe if he has proof in writing, and proof he had officially informed the team of not living up to their part of the agreement well in advance and/or in numerous occasions. I can see this going both ways.
Seemed to me like Nuyens wanted a lot more. Like, a load of money that's preposterous even if Nuyens is 100% right.

^^Wow. That's really scary. Sounds like some borderline malpractice at the French clinic. I really hope he is back to 100 percent. The sky's the limit for him as far as ITTs, one-day races and even some bunch sprints.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS