• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, he's a jack of all trades of extremely high level that he'll take more than enough wins anyway. But still... it's my only doubt when I see him riding GC. His punchiness on climbs is slightly less, or maybe it's just that he isn't in top shape yet. idk. Just something i wonder
Just hope he doesn't aim for the the GC in Grand Tours at least. He can win just about every type of one day race and several of the one-week races too. Especially the ones that doesn't contain longer MTFs. And we definitely need him to battle Van der Poel in the classics. I would much rather see Van Aert battling for victories in allmost all momuments and other semi classics in addition to perhaps 2 or 3 one-week races each year instead of decreasing his chances in this races to possibly be a better GT contender.

And it's also kind of amazing that even if Van Aert is a fantastic rider, I still consider him only to be the fourth most exciting/talent riders for the coming years after Evenepoel, Van der Poel and Pogacar. That says much of today's cycling talents!

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
Just hope he doesn't aim for the the GC in Grand Tours at least. He can win just about every type of one day race and several of the one-week races too. Especially the ones that doesn't contain longer MTFs. And we definitely need him to battle Van der Poel in the classics. I would much rather see Van Aert battling for victories in allmost all momuments and other semi classics in addition to perhaps 2 or 3 one-week races each year instead of decreasing his chances in this races to possibly be a better GT contender.

And it's also kind of amazing that even if Van Aert is a fantastic rider, I still consider him only to be the fourth most exciting/talent riders for the coming years after Evenepoel, Van der Poel and Pogacar. That says much of today's cycling talents!
Focus on classics in spring, lose weight and punch for the summer. Thomas in 2015 could combine the two. I think van Aert will too this year.

Usually I would agree, I don't like (possible) great one day racers becoming mediocre GT contenders. But van Aert - he can win the Tour, at least podium, without a doubt. I think it's worth it for him. And all in all... I don't rate him below those anymore. While they have, in all their allround talent, their specialties, he doesn't really. He just does it all.

Usually I would agree, I don't like (possible) great one day racers becoming mediocre GT contenders. But van Aert - he can win the Tour, at least podium, without a doubt. I think it's worth it for him. And all in all... I don't rate him below those anymore. While they have, in all their allround talent, their specialties, he doesn't really. He just does it all.
But can he do it without compromising his abilities as a one day rider?

Reactions: jmdirt
Gtf in there Wout. What a ride, what a beast.

Where are the people who said Pog would beat him in the tt?

With better support and enough tt kms I can’t see why he wouldn’t be able to win a GT. Pog and Rog won’t contest every GT.

He does need better support though!

to top the week off he beats ganna in the itt (and all others obviously). After such a hard week. Incredible.

Almost a shame he is a 'helper' to Roglic in the TDF. Unbelievable
After putting 3 minutes into Bernal Jumbo should let him explore his options in the TdF. TomDom is pondering his future elsewhere and they could surely let Wout chill a bit more with other riders doing the tractor-ing, couldn't they? Roglic could use the tandem threat against Poga' and force the kid to work early and often.

^ This^

If I remember correctly, there were a couple of posters (or it was only one maybe) who were questioning, why people expected Wout to beat Pogačar in the ITT. But I think the majority expected today's outcome with WvA 10-15s up on Pogačar. The unexpected thing was Ganna not winning.

I think I questioned a poster claiming that Wout would take enough time to win the GC.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Nice ride young man!

I don't agree with the people who want to see him become a GT guy (unless he wants that). Maybe that's because I find races other than GTs more compelling (I'm not saying that GTs aren't compelling).

I find one day races more interesting, too. But if I was a rider and able to podium, maybe even win the Tour, I would still go for that. And I doubt many riders would think otherwise. The problem to me is that the route this year looks so, so good for him, but it's probably one year too early for him. Don't know what things will look like next year.

Reactions: jmdirt and johnymax
I find one day races more interesting, too. But if I was a rider and able to podium, maybe even win the Tour, I would still go for that. And I doubt many riders would think otherwise. The problem to me is that the route this year looks so, so good for him, but it's probably one year too early for him. Don't know what things will look like next year.
I don't think he has a chance this year. Too much recovery required from major climbs. He needs to lose more muscle in order to make the climbs easier, physiologically. Perhaps he can go that direction in the future, but I don't see him making the rapid sacrifice this year, especially given it would hurt in other ways, and not just this season. I think he still wants to win some races.

This said, if he makes major changes like that to his body composition in the next few months, and his recovery improves, then I won't be able to talk about the why on this forum!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, aim to be the most winning one-day rider at least since Sean Kelly, or to be a GC contender? Or are both possible?

TRENDING THREADS