• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Would it be possible to have a discussion without so often resorting to personal digs?
That wasn't really a personal dig imho, just my way of saying you were making this bigger than it needed to be. I think there are enough riders still in contention for the podium, who have actually proven to be able to compete for a podium, so that i don't see a rider who's best GC achievement was a 2nd place in a 1 week stagerace where Pogacar forfeited his own chances, automatically being a podium contender. It's an opinion at this point, nothing more. And i'm sure i could be proven wrong. But only 3 guys fit on a podium, and you could make the same case for a guy like Gaudu, for instance. You could also easily rate Van Aert's Tirreno/TDF combo higher than anything Vingegaard has done so far. And I wouldn't have said Van Aert were a podium contender even without his surgery, any more than i am Vingegaard.

As for getting personal, unfortunately it seems being best friends isn't in the cards for us. But if i may be so bold to make some observations, you seem to be rather quick in dishing out jabs, but less keen on receiving them. You perceive my comment as a personal dig, but i remember you telling someone yesterday that he was not being mature. I'm sure we all do it, have different/double standards when it comes to our own opinion vs that of another, but i just thought i'd let you know. To me your posts often come across as drive-by troll one-liners, trying to ridicule others (posters, riders...), and trying to win arguments on semantics rather than content while being rather aggressive in style. I'm sure you have your opinion of me, likely being overly opiniated and argumentative... or whatever you think, that's your opinion as well and you're entitled to it. But for my part, that's why i often take issue with your posts.

Nowherenbecause I think he is actually really missing a bit of that high-end in form. Still good results but with last year's form he would have had one or more wins/podiums already.
He's not far off and possibly better for that in a 3 week effort. This first week has also been a disaster for JV and others so predictability is out the window. IMO Pogacar will try to bust things up in the next two days. If Wout can stay in the mix; rest well when possible that bodes well for his long term chances. He isn't built to counter super-aggressive attacks in the high mountains. Gravity will be his biggest challenge. I hope he and MVP stay in it longer and work Ineos over in the process.

He will loose 3 minutes at least in every single mountain stage that is raced hard.
His only hope is that the ones battling for 2nd will only attack on the last climb of the day in the mountain stages, and even if so, he has to go at least once on the attack himself, taking extra minutes, which he won't be allowed to do.
If he does try to go for GC, it's an advantage that the only real good TT'er behind him in the top 10 is his teammate so he should gain quite some time there. But I don't think he should. Can't be a good idea go all out every single day when his big goal of the summer is right after the Tour.

He will loose 3 minutes at least in every single mountain stage that is raced hard.
His only hope is that the ones battling for 2nd will only attack on the last climb of the day in the mountain stages, and even if so, he has to go at least once on the attack himself, taking extra minutes, which he won't be allowed to do.

just to be clear, I am not suggesting that he could still be in the running against Pog. Just wondering how he might do against the others in the top 10 behind him. He was, after all, doing what he did today after his incredible ride yesterday. I wonder if give it a rest day, he may be able to largely stay with the others. He still has time on them and he has the final TT in his favor. Wishful thinking I’m sure. But I’m wondering if a top 10, if not better it’s possible.

He's not far off and possibly better for that in a 3 week effort. This first week has also been a disaster for JV and others so predictability is out the window. IMO Pogacar will try to bust things up in the next two days. If Wout can stay in the mix; rest well when possible that bodes well for his long term chances. He isn't built to counter super-aggressive attacks in the high mountains. Gravity will be his biggest challenge. I hope he and MVP stay in it longer and work Ineos over in the process.
Today was actually a good day for WvA. Tomorrow it would be ideal for him to get away and then Pogacar catching him at the end with Vingegaard. That synergy between JV and UAE could last to the end of the race and JV could salvage a podium. Tune in tomorrow!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Can we please stop saying that he's not in form?

I think the week before the Belgian nationals, he was supposedly the least in the mountains of the "entire" team. I'll take that with a grain of salt because i can't imagine him being worse than Martin, to name one. His trainer said because the time left after his recovery was so short, there was no time to work specifically on climbing, but instead the remaining time was dedicated to TT and sprint. He's indeed clearly not at the same level he was in Tirreno or last year's Tour. I remember the murmurs coming from team camp last year, were that Wout was blowing basically the hole team away in training in the mountains. I think it's fair to say he's at least not in top form.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS