• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
wins sprints -> check
wins classics -> check
wins time trials -> check
wins mountain stages -> check

uhm. Most polyvalent rider since Jalabert/Kelly?
As a road racer, yes. Overall, no. I'd put both Mathieu and most definitely Tom (diddly piddly pidmeister Pidcock the peacock) above him... not talking about "who is better" to be clear.

Last edited:
A guy at work who pretty much only follows the TdF and Olympics as far a cycling goes:
Him: Its crazy that Wout had a hysterectomy a month ago and is already the top guy again!
Me: That is crazy! He must be one of, if not THE first man to every get a hysterectomy!
Him: Puzzled look...
Me: A hysterectomy is when the docs remove the uterus...usually from woman.
Him: Hugh Jass laugh!
:p

A guy at work who pretty much only follows the TdF and Olympics as far a cycling goes:
Him: Its crazy that Wout had a hysterectomy a month ago and is already the top guy again!
Me: That is crazy! He must be one of, if not THE first man to every get a hysterectomy!
Him: Puzzled look...
Me: A hysterectomy is when the docs remove the uterus...usually from woman.
Him: Hugh Jass laugh!
:p

Hey, it is 2021. Are we sure they are actually or identifies as a male? Maybe WVA was tired of beating up the woman scene and went to male.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
So far this season in just 5 months (Feb - July) Wonder Wout has podiumed or better:
  • Mass bunch sprint
  • Hilly finish
  • Flat ITT
  • Rolling ITT (almost - got 4th)
  • Mountain stage
  • Cobbled classic
  • Ardennes/Hilly classic
  • GC in high level 1 week stage race
Additionally he has won his national championship and finished to 10 in the MTF in Tirreno-Adriatico yet still there is rightly a feeling that his peak form is yet to emerge and he could have been flying in the Tour without the bout of appendicitis.

Simply remarkable rider.

But speaking about Boonen, a user called cyclingmemories on YT has an insane amount of videos of older races, mostly from the 00's with danish commentary. Needless to say I have watched a fair amount of these videos, especially the classics as its my favourite period of cycling. 05-06 Boonen was a different beast, not exactly as versatile as Wout, but still the by far best classics rider and probably the fastest sprinter? He was toying with people in Flanders and Roubaix.

Reactions: Andre and Wvv
So far this season in just 5 months (Feb - July) Wonder Wout has podiumed or better:
  • Mass bunch sprint
  • Hilly finish
  • Flat ITT
  • Rolling ITT (almost - got 4th)
  • Mountain stage
  • Cobbled classic
  • Ardennes/Hilly classic
  • GC in high level 1 week stage race
Additionally he has won his national championship and finished to 10 in the MTF in Tirreno-Adriatico yet still there is rightly a feeling that his peak form is yet to emerge and he could have been flying in the Tour without the bout of appendicitis.

Simply remarkable rider.
He also never seems to have a jour sans. Sometimes he does take it easy but almost never cracks in a pedaling squares kind of way. He's once again on track for a comfortable Top 15-20 finish, which means that he's always in the mix until the end of the stage, rather than dropping back to the sprinters to save energy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS