• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Nice summary from the discussion to the article, from someone called Paolo:

You want to know more? Nuyens finally realized the bikes were having problems and they had to buy leftover stock of Felt models of 2 years earlier... suddenly riders were getting results! Next, Nuyens had a dispute with veranda's Willems, a very faithful sponsor that build a great team with a small budget. It was agreed Veranda's name would be on the sleeves of the WC shirt of WvA. That is, if Nuyens didn't double-sell the sleeves to another sponsor (Charles) and didn't even want to respect that sponsor contract until he accepted to put the name in very small font size on the sleeves, finally, so WvA had to go several times to the shirt sponsor to get new clothes, and WvA realized hoe childish his managet was, and this kind of behaviour wad really annoying. Next, Nuyens let WvA his good team buddy Tim Merlier go to another team without trying to keep him. Same with his personal soigneur. WvA flew to strade bianchi in a midnight flight because Nuyens didn't foresee some budget to put him on a less exhausting daylight flight. So think about it: you are WvA and you keep the whole team afloat, but for your incompetent stubborn manager, you're only good enough to use as change in merger deals... unfortunately Nuyens forgot that he is currently not bigger than his best rider... he is no Patrick Lefevere. He should have paid attention to keep his best rider just that little bit pleased and appreciated....

Nuyens and Compagnie (manager from Sniper Cycling) draw a pretty bad picture of Van Aert. And I have to say their words and arguments come across rather convincing. I suppose both sides have had their flaws.

Unfortunately we'll never know what's true and what isn't.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Hardly a surprise to be honest, he practically did the same thing to Telenet in 2013. If I had anything to say at Lotto-Jumbo I would rip his contract to pieces, they only took him because they couldn’t get Van der Poel anyway.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Der Effe said:
Hardly a surprise to be honest, he practically did the same thing to Telenet in 2013. If I had anything to say at Lotto-Jumbo I would rip his contract to pieces, they only took him because they couldn’t get Van der Poel anyway.
lol

:rolleyes:

Your best post so far.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
So, after his rather awful winter CX season, he seems to be getting into shape just in time with a new stellar performance in the Strade.

But that's not why i'm bumping this. Today in Extra Time Koers (a talkshow on Sporza about cycling... borrowing the name from a football talkshow :rolleyes: ) Nick Nuyens was a guest. For those that don't know, Nuyens is the former manager of Van Aert at Veranda's Willems Crelan, before Van Aert broke his contract to join Jumbo Visma. Anyway, Nuyens claims he has a strong case, and that the "urgent reasons" used by Van Aert to get out of his contract, are just a ruse. You can rewatch the show for a month (normally) if you're in the EU and have a free VRTnu account: https://www.vrt.be/vrtnu/kanalen/sporza/

Curious to see how this pans out. Going by gut feeling, and by judging character, i'd be most inclined to believe Van Aert, but you just never know for sure.

EDIT: here's the article in Dutch, on Sporza: https://sporza.be/nl/2019/03/13/etk-over-van-aert/

I think that he's geared more towards long efforts now, making him competitive in 200 and 250+ km races, but less so in the one hour crosses. Let's see what MVDP can do, but it seems almost impossible to be as good in cross, mountainbike and long classics (not to mention, the whole year round).

After last year, it doesn't surprise me he's capable of this. However, after his rather disappointing winter it does surprise me he's so strong now. I did not expect this.

I also think it's time to stop comparing him to Mathieu and Mathieu to Wout. I think they both have shown they are top talents in their own right, even if some asshats still try to downplay Wout's performances, while assuming Mathieu will automatically do everything better. They are vastly different riders with different programs and goals. Every road race Wout has entered, he's been one of the best in the race, never riding anonimously in the back/pack. Be it in Paris Roubaix, Strade (twice), Ronde, Milan San Remo... these are the toughest races to ride, and he's still only 24. Haven't seen many riders perform this consistently in top classics at that age.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
I think that he's geared more towards long efforts now, making him competitive in 200 and 250+ km races, but less so in the one hour crosses. Let's see what MVDP can do, but it seems almost impossible to be as good in cross, mountainbike and long classics (not to mention, the whole year round).
At a certain point he will have to choose like Stybar did. Cross worlds is not the best prep for Classics. Maybe do cross till Dec end and take a break in Jan and from Feb train for Classics.

It's almost weird how we, or at least I, expected Van Aert to be up there, and the didn't disappoint. Hard to forget it's only his 2nd real road season and first entry in many big races.

I already count him as one of the regulars in all the big classics (expect lbl/lombardia, that's probably too much uphill)

TRENDING THREADS