• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You're trolling, right?

1. He already won MSR, Strade, Gent Wevelgem and Amstel. So it's fair to say he already won 'legendary races'.
  2. His racing style is defensive? Did you even follow TdF this year? Ronde Van Vlaanderen last year? Tirreno Adriatico? Hardly defensive riding.
  3. 'a masterclass of UCI points without winning much': he was 14 (!) wins this year according to UCI website.

1. Yes, I do watch cycling. I even said he was doing things right in those first 2 big races in 2020. Huge watt bomb attack on Strade got him a deserved win. Rewarded for a race defining attack.

That's the only time he did an attack that was race defining. His Sanremo win was chasing JA. Those 2 wins announced him as maybe the most gifted classics rider in the world, and he started to race defensively from there.

But I'm talking about worlds, Olympics, Roubaix, Ronde, Liege. At the moment he has a Pozzato palmares with a Sanremo win and a couple non-monument classics. And he races like Pozzato, but without the style. He needs to stop riding like a gregario for the chase group all the time.

Maybe you are right, he won 1 or 2 legendary races, but he is not a one day racing legend yet.

Kids don't watch the classics and get inspired to ride because of van Aert wheelsucking. They get inspired by JA attacks, Vannderpol attacks, Nibali attacks. Riders with charissma.

2. I don't care if he went in a couple breakaways at the tour because he wanted TV time, he is not an aggressive rider who makes the race in classics. He is nervous and defensive.

In Tirreno he won a bunch sprint then chasing Vannderpol and Pogacar. He didn't race agressive once there. He is incredibly physiologically strong, I don't dispute this.

In Ronde he is just chasing the attacks of his rivals.

He won Gent Wevelgem because of Van Hojdonck. He won Amstel by following wheels (and by getting lucky on a coin toss on race winner) . Which is fine, but most of the time it is not working for him. Races are won with attacks.

3. He got 5 wins in Tour of Britain, a couple of time trials and group sprints. He didn't win solo apart from Ventoux where the others attacked, he chased and then rode them off the wheel. He literally didn't win a one day race solo all year, and he has only 13 wins not 14 (8 if you don't count tour of Britain with 130km stages against guys like hayter and a pre peak JA.).

Reactions: Sandisfan
I bet there are more Belgian kids with a Nibali poster on their bedroom walls than kids with Wout van Aert posters.
I think you can count the Belgian kids with a Nibali poster in their bedroom, on one hand.
Van Aert is a 3 time worldchampion in cyclocross which is very popular in Belgium.

I will take your bet.

In Tirreno he won a bunch sprint then chasing Vannderpol and Pogacar. He didn't race agressive once there. He is incredibly physiologically strong, I don't dispute this.
In Tirreno he was riding for GC, Van der Poel wasn't, he was allowed by the GC guys to attack and go for the stagewin. You are comparing apples and oranges. And while Van der Poel attacked and got a free headstart of roughly 4 minutes, Van Aert (also in a solo effort) closed down 3 out of those 4 minutes by the time they reached the finish.

I explained the reason for his way of riding in classics on the previouspage. He relies too much on his sprint and does too much work in order to have the race end in a sprint. That's why he loses so many of those small group sprints, because he is doing too much work by the time they get to sprinting. It's a self defeating prophecy if you will.

1. Yes, I do watch cycling. I even said he was doing things right in those first 2 big races in 2020. Huge watt bomb attack on Strade got him a deserved win. Rewarded for a race defining attack.

That's the only time he did an attack that was race defining. His Sanremo win was chasing JA. Those 2 wins announced him as maybe the most gifted classics rider in the world, and he started to race defensively from there.

But I'm talking about worlds, Olympics, Roubaix, Ronde, Liege. At the moment he has a Pozzato palmares with a Sanremo win and a couple non-monument classics. And he races like Pozzato, but without the style. He needs to stop riding like a gregario for the chase group all the time.

Maybe you are right, he won 1 or 2 legendary races, but he is not a one day racing legend yet.

Kids don't watch the classics and get inspired to ride because of van Aert wheelsucking. They get inspired by JA attacks, Vannderpol attacks, Nibali attacks. Riders with charissma.

2. I don't care if he went in a couple breakaways at the tour because he wanted TV time, he is not an aggressive rider who makes the race in classics. He is nervous and defensive.

In Ronde he is just chasing the attacks of his rivals.

He won Gent Wevelgem because of Van Hojdonck. He won Amstel by following wheels (and by getting lucky on a coin toss on race winner) . Which is fine, but most of the time it is not working for him. Races are won with attacks.

3. He got 5 wins in Tour of Britain, a couple of time trials and group sprints. He didn't win solo apart from Ventoux where the others attacked, he chased and then rode them off the wheel. He literally didn't win a one day race solo all year, and he has only 13 wins not 14 (8 if you don't count tour of Britain with 130km stages against guys like hayter and a pre peak JA.).

He definitely doesn't wheelsuck!

You have some points but you always get very extreme with your declarations, I think. Hayter and Alaphilippe is not easy opposition so it's not free wins he got in Britain.

I agree than Van Aert should quit his defensive riding and use his strengths. He should save up for a big attack and then go into time trial mode and force the other riders to chase him down. He should wait until MvdP drops back to the car at a bad moment because we know MvdP will chase him down if he is in position. Van Aert has such a great TT engine that if he can get a big gap he can either solo for the win or if the other riders chasing him finally catch him, then he can sprint them for the win from a small group of exhausted riders at the end.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
I think you can count the Belgian kids with a Nibali poster in their bedroom, on one hand.
Van Aert is a 3 time worldchampion in cyclocross which is very popular in Belgium.

I will take your bet.

In Tirreno he was riding for GC, Van der Poel wasn't, he was allowed by the GC guys to attack and go for the stagewin. You are comparing apples and oranges. And while Van der Poel attacked and got a free headstart of roughly 4 minutes, Van Aert (also in a solo effort) closed down 3 out of those 4 minutes by the time they reached the finish.

I explained the reason for his way of riding in classics on the previouspage. He relies too much on his sprint and does too much work in order to have the race end in a sprint. That's why he loses so many of those small group sprints, because he is doing too much work by the time they get to sprinting. It's a self defeating prophecy if you will.
Ok I have to admit I never spent any time in a Belgian household and don't know who the kids idolise. I merely speculate based on Belgian love of proper cycling.

The guy said Tirreno Van Aert was racing aggressively. He wasn't. He just put his head down and chased when he had to. Not one attack. Matteo Fabbro and Zdenek Stybar did more attacks.

I agree he does too much work and rely on his sprint. When he won strade so dominant he actually attacked properly. I think after this he has too much pressure and a fear of losing.

I agree than Van Aert should quit his defensive riding and use his strengths. He should save up for a big attack and then go into time trial mode and force the other riders to chase him down. He should wait until MvdP drops back to the car at a bad moment because we know MvdP will chase him down if he is in position. Van Aert has such a great TT engine that if he can get a big gap he can either solo for the win or if the other riders chasing him finally catch him, then he can sprint them for the win from a small group of exhausted riders at the end.

He might have to wait for Asgreen and Colbrelli to be back at a car at the same time. He's not a shoo-in for a sprint win.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Strade Bianchi?
I mean seriously

Quite funny how Dutch natives can't help but say and write Strade Bianchi instead of the correct Bianche.

Immagine-News-Bici-1.jpg

I suspect it's because ending a word on an è feels unnatural in Dutch. As if the word isn't done.

• Wow
Nick Nuyens and his lawyer have asked the UCI to take disciplinary measures against Van Aert, his team Jumbo-Visma and his manager Jef Van den Bosch because Van Aert was sentenced to a heavy fine for breach of contract by the Belgian Courts.

Nuyens has asked the UCI for sanctions based on their disciplinary rules in a letter on the 13th of August but so far they haven't gotten any reaction.

They asked for the following measures:

• A fine of 300 up to 100.000 Swiss Francs and a suspension of one to four months for Van Aert.
  • A fine of 30.000 up to 500.000 Swiss Francs multiplied by 3 and a compensation of 662.404,31 EUR up to 1.090.000 EUR for the team Jumbo-Visma.
  • A fine of 10.000 Swiss Francs and the revoking of his licence for Jef Van den Bosch.

TRENDING THREADS