• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Flamin said:
@Logic

First of all, Zeven was at the end of November and he crushed everyone there. Second of all, "certainly until December" sounds like it's about a small part of the season while in reality December til the Worlds is like 2/3rd of the season (looking at length and importance of the period). I already came up with a valid argument as to why he was a bit subpar during the first 1/3th. But you saying he was clearly working towards a transition to the road from summer 2017, is pure speculation in my book.

Furthermore, are you suggesting that Mathieu wasn't a better rider in 2017/18 compared to 16/17? When in the latter, he had a double knee surgery at the end of July?!

Edit: oh yeah, and what an amazing ride again today.

Last season had more highs and more lows than this season. Also, December is smack dab in the middle of the season. After the WC at the end of January or the beginning of February, there are only a few races left. Season starts in September, not November.

As for the "speculation", looking for that quote of Adrie i was talking about earlier, i saw a part of that Extra Time Koers episode, where Nys en Adrie outright said (in a reply to Wuyts) that his (Wout's) training sessions mid season were geared towards the spring, not towards the rest of the CX season. So... yeah.

Road season also officially starts in January, but the real one starts in Omloop. Same in cx. December and January are by far the most important months of the year. But that's another discussion.

Well, Nys or Adrie are speculating as well. What would they know about the ins and outs of Wout's training regime? We know he indeed did an extra training block in Spain during the season, but everyone does that lately.

He is special. And his shape look on the rise, considering he wasn't particularly impressive in Omloop but then kept improving. He should try an attack in the final km when he's in such a selected group (both MSR and E3). He can't trust his sprint against these guys.

Flamin said:
Well, Nys or Adrie are speculating as well. What would they know about the ins and outs of Wout's training regime? We know he indeed did an extra training block in Spain during the season, but everyone does that lately.
CX is a small world. When both of them say the same thing, then obviously they know what they're talking about. But anyway. You believe what you believe. No problem.

So strong again today. He's so consistent. Stybar attacked hard on the climb, but faded at the end while Wout was always riding attentively in front. Surely a favorite for RVV. CX riders put on a show today.

It's quite funny that both of the guys in the title are probably the top contenders for Flanders with the form they are both in. Van Aert is surely the man of the future but I hope that Stybar can at least take one monument in his career. He sacrificed a lot over the years for the likes of Boonen, Terpstra and Gilbert.

Serpentin said:
I believe he was the strongest on the hills today. Next Sunday he just needs to go and not look back.
He definitely looked strong on the Kemmel, but I still think it will be hard to win RvV this Sunday. In the last 25 km there are two climbs and 23 km flat. Even if he's the strongest on the two climbs it will be difficult to reach Oudenaarde first against those more experienced riders from bigger teams.

His best option is a late attack from a very selected group imho. Easier said than done obviously but he's in such an amazing shape that he could pull it off, unless there DQS has multiple riders there. He was a monster on the bergs today and it seems like the tougher the race the better for him.

Re:

Postrace interviews in the Sporza studio with Mathieu and Wout were pretty fun. Mathieu was constantly looking at the TV on the side and unknowingly making faces. Wout's average output was 100 watts higher than during Milan San Remo.
Thats pretty obnoxious, I think thats RvV numbers really.

Valv.Piti said:
Postrace interviews in the Sporza studio with Mathieu and Wout were pretty fun. Mathieu was constantly looking at the TV on the side and unknowingly making faces. Wout's average output was 100 watts higher than during Milan San Remo.
There was no malintent. There is a tv there for the guests (riders) to follow the recaps when they are being interviewed. I think Mathieu might have been tasting the salt on his lips from the effort, and making faces because of that.

Valv.Piti said:
There was no malintent. There is a tv there for the guests (riders) to follow the recaps when they are being interviewed. I think Mathieu might have been tasting the salt on his lips from the effort, and making faces because of that.
I mean in terms of the wattage

Re:

Cinemaniak said:
Not only Van Aert was strong. His team looks very, very solid.
Yep, he had a best team and was a best rider over the past week...except for QS and Stybar, which is not a shame or surprise at all. But outside of QS Jumbo were the best team and maybe even slightly better than them in GW.

TRENDING THREADS