• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Ripper said:
hayneplane said:
I looked at the odds for the time trial and whilst I think Wout is a worthy favourite for the stage 4/5 is way too skinny to take on. There are lots of decent TTers in the race but most of those have been worked hard for other team objectives and could lack freshness or have not shown too much recent form against the clock.

A tough one to call and a lot of each way value for cycling fans who like to add to their interest with a little bet.
I think it'd be cool if WvA won, but I think GT and EB are going to destroy people. Destroy

Bernal is not going to destroy anybody today, why does someone always feel the need to wildly exaggerate Team Ineos' riders' abilities?

I was not wildly exaggerating things, but my tongue was partly in cheek. Bernal is actually fairly good in the TT and G has been (recently) as well. All this said, obviously no destruction today.

Gigs_98 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
bEcAuSe It'S cOoL aNd InEoS iS tHe BeSt ;)

Bernal isn't going to destroy anybody tho. Top 15 would be nice for him.
And I've yet to see a real good TT by Thomas this year. Not convinced he'd win
I generally think thomas is a bit overrated in TT's. Does he have any prestigious TT win except the 2017 Düsseldorf TT? (which he won in front of küng and past his prime kiryienka btw, not exactly 2009 cancellara)
Sure he is good, but he is no dumoulin and not even as good as froome when it comes to time trials. Van Aert is the more likely winner imo.
G would have been overrated in TTs and HC climbs before last year's transformation.

His DS covered the (very deep) wound because it was such an ugly sight. His mother (parents were in Pau) was interviewed by Sporza before the TT and she said that she hoped most of all that he would make it to the line in one piece. Pretty sad end to his Tour.

Sucks to see him go out like that, but still an amazing Tour debut for him. I hope he's back soon and can't wait to see what he does at Strade Bianche, MSR and the cobbled classics next year. I almost expect him to win one of the monuments already.

cmleU2d.png

Re:

luckyboy said:
I have no knowledge about muscle injuries but cutting through the muscle sounds like it will take quite a long time to heal, no? First to heal and then re-train yourself to the same level as before. End of his road season?
You don't need to go very deep in a thigh wound to cut into muscle. It really depends how deep, the type of wound (slice versus gouge, etc), how large, etc. It could end the season, or he could be racing by late summer.

Re:

luckyboy said:
I have no knowledge about muscle injuries but cutting through the muscle sounds like it will take quite a long time to heal, no? First to heal and then re-train yourself to the same level as before. End of his road season?

Of course it depends on how severe the damage is but generally muscle tissue heal fairly quickly.

Thank God they were so quick to assess that. Could have been quite the disaster.

It kind of is a disaster for the cx season though. Sure he was no competition for MVDP last year but I believe he could have come at least a bit closer again this year. Now it's just Aerts. Meh.

Re:

Flamin said:
Thank God they were so quick to assess that. Could have been quite the disaster.

It kind of is a disaster for the cx season though. Sure he was no competition for MVDP last year but I believe he could have come at least a bit closer again this year. Now it's just Aerts. Meh.
Mathieu basically said it won't be fun for him either, if Wout's not there.

And yes, good thing they didn't drop the ball there. God knows what would have happened had he been riding for... say, Sunweb. :eek:

jmdirt said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Apparently the operation and/or treatment in the French hospital was very bad. Today he said in an interview that "het te wensen overliet". Basically, "left much to be desired".
Is French medical care poor? Was this surgeon just poor?

I hope that he recovers well!

I have never set foot inside a French hospital, but it's not the first time i've heard things like this about French medical care.

jmdirt said:
Apparently the operation and/or treatment in the French hospital was very bad. Today he said in an interview that "het te wensen overliet". Basically, "left much to be desired".
Is French medical care poor? Was this surgeon just poor?

I hope that he recovers well!

I have never set foot inside a French hospital, but it's not the first time i've heard things like this about French medical care.
That's kind of why I asked, because I've also heard some bad stories out of France. BUT, I imagine there are plenty of bad stories out of every country.

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190819_04567109

Update on Van Aert, and it's not good news. He's still walking with crutches and has to fully rest for another 3 weeks. Then he should be able to start his recovery, though they are being very careful given the nature of the injury. His entourage says it's unlikely he'll ride cyclocross this winter.

Him missing the season is a huge bummer for the cross but I'll already be glad if he makes the cobble classics in top shape.

TRENDING THREADS