• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
EA6DynlX4AIW6PJ.jpg:large

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190819_04567109

Update on Van Aert, and it's not good news. He's still walking with crutches and has to fully rest for another 3 weeks. Then he should be able to start his recovery, though they are being very careful given the nature of the injury. His entourage says it's unlikely he'll ride cyclocross this winter.

Him missing the season is a huge bummer for the cross but I'll already be glad if he makes the cobble classics in top shape.
Well, that sucks. Men's cross had already become a bit boring even with Wout. Without him...well at least the races MVP skips will be entertaining and the women's races are always great.

On the plus side, I could see this being a positive for his classics season. He could hit peak form perfectly and be fresher due to the limited CX schedule. I could definitely see him picking up his first big one day win, maybe even one of the biggies. In any case, he shouldn't rush anything to get back for cross.

Well, that sucks. Men's cross had already become a bit boring even with Wout. Without him...well at least the races MVP skips will be entertaining and the women's races are always great.
During the last cross season Toon Aerts was actually the better challenger against VdP. And the only one who actually beat him (once, on the Koppenbergcross, but still.). So I'm not sure it'll change much.

During the last cross season Toon Aerts was actually the better challenger against VdP. And the only one who actually beat him (once, on the Koppenbergcross, but still.). So I'm not sure it'll change much.
hehehe... he. My eyes are basically rolling out of their sockets.

Because last year was a reference. Van Aert without a team or teammates, with legal troubles on his mind, having to get a new soigneur, mechanic himself. Having to get his bike and parts from the manufacturers in order to respect his sponsorship deals etc. Let's forget about the previous 5 years when he mopped the floor with Aerts.

Most of those issues date from September, right? Aerts still went on to beat Van Aert in the Belgian nationals more than 3 months later, so I don't think you can boil it ALL down to the break-up with Nuyens (though the legal issues likely did have a longer lasting impact).

It's really not such an odd statement from jflemaire. Sure, you can cut Van Aert some slack for the past winter, but let's not forget he was already losing terrain on MVDP in 17/18, and also Aerts' level improved more than Van Aert's compared to the year before (with Wout still being the better rider obviously, especially at the end of the season).

Now that Van Aert is likely more focused than ever on the road meanwhile Aerts is a 100% cyclocrosser, I'm not convinced either that Wout would have consistently beaten Aerts week in week out again.

BUT, imo Wout's popularity and "status" have skyrocketed after the Tour and his presence alone would have added another dimension to the cross.

Teammates?

And I specifically mentioned the Belgian nationals, which took place in January.
Yeah, teammates. You think having teammates is only to do some work for you? You don't think there is a huge psychological advantage by being part of a team?

So you mentioned january, did he have teammates then? Teamsupport? Were his legal issues dealt with then? No, so what the f* are you even talking about? The impact on his season was huge.

Yeah, teammates. You think having teammates is only to do some work for you? You don't think there is a huge psychological advantage by being part of a team?

So you mentioned january, did he have teammates then? Teamsupport? Were his legal issues dealt with then? No, so what the f* are you even talking about? The impact on his season was huge.

You do realize that his only teammate was Merlier, right? How the hell is not having him as a teammate of any sort of influence? You think they didn't go train together anymore if they wanted to? That he had to stay in a freakin hotel all alone the night before a race that took place 50 km from where he lives?

Oh and if having teammates in cx is apparently super important, that's not an excuse anymore since he went on training camps with Jumbo already in that period ;)

About team support. What are you suggesting exactly? That he had to clean and fix his bike himself? Of course not. This guy has a personal mechanic, personal trainer etc. etc.

Like I said, the legal issues likely did have a longer lasting impact, mentally. How much and how long? Nobody can tell. So your suggestion that the impact was huge, is pure speculation as well.

Dude, people more knowledgeable than you, have said the psychological impact was immense. But whatever. You seem to know best. I'm done discussing this with you.

Where did I deny that there was a psychological impact?! I mentioned in all my posts that I acknowledged there was an impact. Yeah, no point in going further, because this is pretty annoying.

Also funny that you 'accuse' me of knowing better.

I just wanted to know how they would address this problem.
Jagartrott's post suggests it has already been fixed, which is what I hope.
Yes, it was addressed when he was back in Belgium. They noticed something was wrong but by that time more than a week had passed. This was already posted in this topic some weeks ago. But the exact problem was never stated.

Last edited:
Van Aert: "From now on different muscle mass in my legs, but that's not a tragedy".

Wout van Aert gave another press conference for the first time since his heavy fall in the Tour de France. The rider of Jumbo-Visma showed himself to be combative and repeated that he hopes to be able to do some CX races coming winter.

"The first few days after the fall it wasn't that bad. I just wanted to leave the hospital as soon as possible and thought that it wouldn't be too bad", says Van Aert. "The awareness of how serious it was has only just come home. I also spent a week in the hospital here and that was a lot to keep up the morale."

"I had a lot of support from my family. They were all also in France because I was seen as one of the favourites for that time trial. But in the end you have to do it yourself." It is the first major physical setback in Van Aert's career. "I had already broken my collarbone once, but that's not comparable to it. Then, after 3.5 weeks, I was able to race again. This is something very different than riding from one success to another, but it's also part of it."

Will Van Aert be able to ride as powerfully as before his injury? "The answer of the doctors is "yes". But it's an injury that doesn't happen very often. There is a piece of my tendon gone, gone. That's solved with a plastic net. It remains to be seen if that will do its job as well."

"I'm a cyclist, but if I had been a footballer, this injury would have been even worse.

"I want to reach my top level again this spring".

Van Aert repeated his wish to dive into the field this winter. "Two weeks ago I was on a check-up and the result was positive. My muscles had already regained their shape. So the recovery goes smoothly. I have been with the physiotherapist for two weeks now and I am making progress. That's why I hope for a return this winter."

"The biggest question will be whether it will take long before I am really competitive again. I didn't just rest for three weeks. So it will take a bit more time than usual. I don't talk at all about results driving for example. If I could ride a couple of cyclo-crosses, I'd be a happy man."

"I want to get back to my top level this spring, but if that's not until next summer or even the year after, then I have to accept that. It would be a shame, but I have to take it as it comes. Then I try to set small goals.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

TRENDING THREADS