• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Had he practiced something else before opting for the bicycle?
Because of his athletic build?
That only came in his very late teenage years. There are images of him on World Championships CX U18 and even U23 being this really tiny almost fragile kid.

Glad to see his power and speed are back. Feared it would take longer after that horrible injury. Hopefully he can reach those last percentages for the spring classics.

Because of his athletic build?
That only came in his very late teenage years. There are images of him on World Championships CX U18 and even U23 being this really tiny almost fragile kid.

Glad to see his power and speed are back. Feared it would take longer after that horrible injury. Hopefully he can reach those last percentages for the spring classics.
Yes, his built is fairly athletic, but something's telling me he's been trying himself out elsewhere as a kid... Before the age he's been fully eligible for cycling.

This is Wout around age 17-18, Junior ranks.
Really small kid compared to the other boys.

mV6K7638JfVtFKXDi4xadG.jpg

cyclocross-world-championships-koksijde-2012-juniors-arrival-wout-van-picture-id990995664

-SBd-wit5DGMFSdn0aMSkovinWAilIhsG7MZmaw3JQJTx7snFKhk262UteES5Qc2Ftn1KrDOmCP-fdaj51NWxXFMydOuzdfh8QFp6piKpKFQB4VkM6_CAvgdyXs

How this thread don't have an avatar yet??? Somebody need to make this right
There are no "thread avatars". The small thumbnails you see in the forum list, is simply the avatar of the poster who created the topic/thread. In this case, the thread was started by a poster without an avatar.

Unless there is an image in the original post (first post of the thread). Then this image can be seen as the thread avatar in the forum list, but not in all cases. I think threads that were created on the old forum, do not have this.

EDIT: @repre in addition i since found out, that since the new forum, the thread starter can actually chose a thread avatar out of all the images posted in the opening posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: repre
Mathieu won the Container Cup. A series of 7 challenges inside a container (a Belgian TV show). Running, rowing, cycling, monkeybar, biatlon shooting, benchpress, golf. He beat the previous best time of Greg Van Avermaet by 30 seconds. Only Wout van Aert was left that could do better than Mathieu. Van Aert smashed the cycling test, outdoing Mathieu's record by 10 seconds over 3km. Wout also was the second best in rowing (10 seconds slower than bronze WC medallist rowing Tim Brys, and dozens of seconds ahead of the rest), but specifically shooting and golfing was disastrous for Wout (0 targets shot, and only 48m in golf).

At Benchpress, Mathieu showed his left elbow which has a strange "twist" in it, only after a certain point/angle, can he put pressure on it. An old injury, he broke his elbow once.
At cycling, Mathieu had a max heartrate of 195. He said the cycling had gone perfectly, and with that heartrate, it was obvious he went all out. He also said he went as deep as when he won Amstel. Before the test he said he was in very good shape, but had not done intensity training lately.
According to the infoscreen, Mathieu's heartrate at rest: 36bpm.

I have no idea if this will be georestricted or not, but the broadcast will be on youtube tomorrow: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcmPO3ZN9_3BBy0jUPRYflrylVfx152th

As said in the MvdP topic, the container cup, overall, wasn't a success for Wout (he did beat Mathieu's combined time in running, rowing and cycling, but faltered in shooting, golfing etc). In cycling however, Mathieu managed to outdo Bart Swings, an ice skater, by half a second and had the best time, but then Wout smashed it and took 10 seconds off Mathieu's time, a new record.

Wout's max heartrate was 205! He pushed well over 500W throughout the test. At the end, he even managed 590W.
According to the infoscreen, Wout's heartrate at rest: 38bpm.

Some concerns though: He still can't run normally since his crash in last years Tour de France. He used to be the best runner in CX, only rivaled by Toon Aerts, but in the container cup he didn't go over 18km/h, and he confessed that this is still a result of the injury. He also sucked at monkeybars, due to an old collarbone injury.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was a fun competition. That the injury still hasn't healed is indeed a little worrying. It really has been some time now since the accident. Well, maybe it does not hinder him that much in cycling (I recently had a thigh injury, everything was fine as soon as I was on the bike, but getting there...), but for cross and his life in general it would be good if it would heal fully.

Didn't he gain like 15s on the climb to the finish anyway?

Anyway, successor to Cancellara?

I find him to be almost like a perfect mix between Cancellara and Boonen so I see him winning more classics like De Ronde and Roubaix at least once and maybe San Remo as well.

Outside of that, a green jersey in the Tour and becoming TT World Champion seem to be within reach, although he isn't very focused on them for now.

TRENDING THREADS