• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm almost sure he would have made the cut on Sormano this year. Hard to stay with Fuglsang later in the race but Jumbo would have had a tactical card to play. Who knows?
Or he might have gone over the bridge behind Remco. Who knows exactly?

I think his best chance obviously is if/when they revert to a Bergamo finish, and the new Liege finish suits him better than Ans, but I wouldn't rule him out on any classics course right now, or in the future.

Reactions: Big Doopie
118714904_347251796401247_5208746899379642924_n.jpg

Introducing Red Rick, ever the overestimator of the toughness of the LBL route.

You know Simon Gerrans has won the race, right?

Do you think Gerrans would have won last years edition? LBL is a different race every year. Sometimes it feels like a pure climbers classic and is to hard for guys like Alaphilippe (last year). Sometimes it is an uphill sprint out of a 20-30 rider group.
Van Aert could win LBL if the race develops like it did in 2014. Not sure if he could do it in a race like last years.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Do you think Gerrans would have won last years edition? LBL is a different race every year. Sometimes it feels like a pure climbers classic and is to hard for guys like Alaphilippe (last year). Sometimes it is an uphill sprint out of a 20-30 rider group.
Van Aert could win LBL if the race develops like it did in 2014. Not sure if he could do it in a race like last years.

The new route is not to his advantage but Van Aert seems to be a much better climber than Gerrans.

Eight years ago, I said that Sagan could win 15 green jerseys if he so cared. Now I think that number should have been nine. If not for the DSQ in 2017 and today's miss he would have two more than his current tally (now, I think he will have big problems with Bennett this year, but he may still land the eighth), but it's hard to imagine him continuing winning with those two monsters coming on the scene.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Who could have predicted this 1 year ago? He has won almost every race or stage he really went for after the covid break.
It seems like JV is exactly the right team for him as well.

This will likely not last, at least to what we're witnessing now. We've seen riders who won nearly everything one particular year before. I'm curious how he'll be the next years. He seems mentally very stable though.

I'm glad you do.
How many times did you see Boonen drop off his GC leader at 1.5k of the summit?
Boonen won 6 TDF stages in 6 years. Van Aert already has 3, (not including the TTT in which he was a big factor) in 20 days of TDF.
Van Aert already won 4 ITT's against top competition. How many did Boonen win?
Van Aert already won MSR in his 2nd try, and won Strade, a race Boonen would never have won.
Van Aert is on par or better as a sprinter, a much better ITT'er and a much better climber.

Yeah, i'm glad i do as well. Baffling you feel this is up for debate. Actually, you don't even seem to think it's up for debate.

Last edited:
How many times did you see Boonen drop off his GC leader at 1.5k of the sumit?
Boonen won 6 TDF stages in 6 years. Van Aert already has 3, (not including the TTT in which he was a big factor) in 20 days of TDF.
Van Aert already won 4 ITT's against top competition. How many did Boonen win?
Van Aert already won MSR in his 2nd try, and won Strade, a race Boonen would never have won.
Van Aert is on par or better as a sprinter, a much better ITT'er and a much better climber.

Yeah, i'm glad i do as well.

I completely agree. Boonen was amazing on the cobbled monuments but not really anywhere else. Van Aert is amazing on those as well but hasn't had too many opportunities to show it.

TRENDING THREADS