• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maybe he will ride CX in the winter but as off season intensity training rather than targeting it as a major goal. Crazy that he is arguably a top 5 favourite for all 3 remaining stages, Worlds ITT, WRR and then the cobbled classics.

Could in 6 weeks time easily be looking at the best all time season not including a Grand Tour win.

Reactions: jmdirt
Maybe he will ride CX in the winter but as off season intensity training rather than targeting it as a major goal. Crazy that he is arguably a top 5 favourite for all 3 remaining stages, Worlds ITT, WRR and then the cobbled classics.

Could in 6 weeks time easily be looking at the best all time season not including a Grand Tour win.
I think he said he wanted to compete for the national/world championships at least, so it would have to be more than some intensity training. But he wasn't going to do a "full" CX season like in the past. However, this was a few months ago. I don't know how much plans might have changed with Covid19.

I think he said he wanted to compete for the national/world championships at least, so it would have to be more than some intensity training. But he wasn't going to do a "full" CX season like in the past. However, this was a few months ago. I don't know how much plans might have changed with Covid19.

Well after such an anonymous showing during the road season, he should be coming around for the cross!

Adrie van der Poel on Wout van Aert's mental strength (discussing whether van Aert would crack on the WCC climbs): "shows character from here to Tokyo".

Also, according to Van Marcke, van Aert already set a Strava KOM for La Planche des Belles Filles "a few years ago". I can only see the best 10 times on Strava, and they are all of 2020 and 2019, so i can't verify whether this is true or if Sep was talking out of his neck.

This was in an episode of Extra Time Koers (Sporza).

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
If it was a tiny bit hillier he would've won it, easily. And he will, if he keeps the focus on ITT.
Great performance from the rider of the season- he can really do it all.

Not sure you can definitively said he would’ve won it if it was hillier as it depends how hilly etc. In a much hillier tt you are also playing more to the strengths of Dumolin and Thomas (who had a good day on a pancake flat course) but i understand the sentiment.

Doubt he will focus on the TT - surely his focus for the foreseeable will be adding more monuments to his palmares. After the tour I am more and more convinced he has the ability to win all 5 during his career. Lombardia will be tough but with the right route and circumstances it is possible.

Great performance from the rider of the season- he can really do it all.

Not sure you can definitively said he would’ve won it if it was hillier as it depends how hilly etc. In a much hillier tt you are also playing more to the strengths of Dumolin and Thomas (who had a good day on a pancake flat course) but i understand the sentiment.

Doubt he will focus on the TT - surely his focus for the foreseeable will be adding more monuments to his palmares. After the tour I am more and more convinced he has the ability to win all 5 during his career. Lombardia will be tough but with the right route and circumstances it is possible.
Needs to repeat miracle year performances though. That is never a given.

Reactions: Jan the Man

TRENDING THREADS